Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Brickk
Drift Rat

Smoking from exhaust

Need some advice from the more experienced guys on here, recently bought an 04 330Ci that I believed to have a malfunctioning CCV. I replaced the CCV, VCG, and secondary air pump check valve. I didn't get any improvement in smoke. Then poured upper engine cleaner into the cylinders hoping it was piston rings that I could clean up. I got a bit more power but it still smoked after a 30 min run, I am beginning to believe it is the valve stem seals. I have read about the 02Pilot Mod and have been debating trying that. Does anyone else have any other suggestions before I put money down on a new engine?
Brickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
jabela
6th Gear Member

How badly is it smoking that you're ready to drop a new engine in?
How frequently do you have to add a quart of oil?
I'd try the 02 pilot mood first.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Brickk
Drift Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
How badly is it smoking that you're ready to drop a new engine in?
How frequently do you have to add a quart of oil?
I'd try the 02 pilot mood first.
It smokes on startup you have to run the engine for about 10-15 minutes and I will still get a tiny bit of smoke from the exhaust. As soon as you give it a slight amount of gas smoke billows out the exhaust, and comes back in a major way its not a little bit, it litterally screens the people out behind me. people flash me with headlights and honk and cant drive behind me. I've researched other valve stem seal issues and mine seems to be the exact same.
I'm going to give the 02PilotMod a try and see where that gets me. I believe the oil pan gasket also needs to be replaced as the bottom of the engine is covered in oil its at 255,000km and is idling really rough as well.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
South
4th Gear Member

I would take off the manifold and look at the intake ports and inside my manifold. If its clean. Its your piston rings. What does a compression test show?

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1115223

Try that o2 pilot mod. cheap and easy.

Also can't believe m54 have such a serious flaw.
97 540i6 ACS - 2016-present
South is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickk View Post
It smokes on startup you have to run the engine for about 10-15 minutes and I will still get a tiny bit of smoke from the exhaust. As soon as you give it a slight amount of gas smoke billows out the exhaust, and comes back in a major way its not a little bit, it litterally screens the people out behind me. people flash me with headlights and honk and cant drive behind me. I've researched other valve stem seal issues and mine seems to be the exact same.
I'm going to give the 02PilotMod a try and see where that gets me. I believe the oil pan gasket also needs to be replaced as the bottom of the engine is covered in oil its at 255,000km and is idling really rough as well.
Oh, that's pretty bad. That's what happened when my CCV plugged, then failed on the highway. I kept my foot in the gas to blowout whatever oil goo got sucked into the cylinders and it smoked out the highway for a hundred metres.
You sure you have your CCV hooked up properly? I can't imagine the valve stems continuously leaking that much that quickly. I thought it was a slower leak that was only noticeable on startup.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
Brickk
Drift Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Oh, that's pretty bad. That's what happened when my CCV plugged, then failed on the highway. I kept my foot in the gas to blowout whatever oil goo got sucked into the cylinders and it smoked out the highway for a hundred metres.
You sure you have your CCV hooked up properly? I can't imagine the valve stems continuously leaking that much that quickly. I thought it was a slower leak that was only noticeable on startup.
I have reinspected and reinstalled a couple times, cleaned out the dipstick twice now and the cleaner i've used runs through the tube freely, I bought a new o-ring and installed that. I did buy a cheap CCV off amazon that doesnt look like its the oem version as it doesnt have the pierburg logo on it, and some of the hoses where almost a bit too long and had to be wiggled properly into place. however the one I pulled off the car also looked and felt pretty new, it certainly wasn't brittle. If Im still getting oil in the upper CCV Hose then its probably something to do with that I would Imagine.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
Brickk
Drift Rat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_CUEArehK4
Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Brickk
Drift Rat

So South I did what you said took off the manifold again and reinstalled to look in the intake ports and there was a ton of oil pooling in the bottom on the valves, do you think valve stem seals?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
Brickk
Drift Rat

Also did the 02Pilot MOD and there was no change it still smokes.

Tags
ccv, smoking, vcg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: