Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Autoshow 2015 impressions

I'd like to hear your thoughts on some of what you saw at the Auto show, perhaps even some pics that were taken as I am sure many of you did. I was lazy to bring my DSLR when I went.

Overall, I feel like it gets smaller and smaller with each passing year, a perfect example of that would be Autoexotica. It used to house 25+ cars, now there was a mere 10-15 max.

Out of the regular cars, I was pleasantly impressed with the Charger Hellcat Sedan, quite a sharp looking car, although, I am sure the fit/finish is still very much like the other domestics that were on the floor and accessible; ie poor.
I think for the 65K starting price, it is quite a bargain for the level of performance that you get, paired with the options, nice exterior and reasonable quality. I am sure the interior and fit and finish will not stand the test of time well, no Domestic/Japanese car seems to, but for what its worth, I think we will see a lot of them on the roads soon.

Jag and LR are still all so ****ing drop dead gorgeous. The all NEW XE (ie 3 series/ c class fighter) was overdue and is absolutely stunning. If it is available with a half decent stick shift, that's where my money would be going, the XE R version.

I didn't know the Range Rover SVR even existed! The X5M/ML63 Fighter was intense, hard core sport buckets (with all the comforts!), front fascia, the wheels, everything about it was awesome, ya, the 550 HP was bad ass too. I'd love to read a review on how it competes against the previously aforementioned SAV's.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

The longest time were spent doing two things; walking around the Alpina B6 and staring and drooling over the Cadillac Elmiraj.
If I was rich and famous, I know what car(s) would be in my garage immediately. That Elmiraj was just breath taking.
I was impressed to see the new(ish) Cadillac ATS line up and very happy to see the stick shift in all of them. Another great performer for the 'budget' minded.

I still think, from the ATS/3 series/C class etc segment, the best bang for the buck is the Volvo S60 R design with the Polestart goodies. For 56K you just can't touch any of the others. The real downer is the Auto only.

I was happy to see the mid 90's Lotus V8 Esprit TT, one of my dream cars. So. Darn. Awesome. Too bad it wasn't BRG or Yellow.

The other show stopper for me, again, was the Aston Martin Rapide S. WOW. WOW. WOW. The brits sure know what they are doing. It had an obnoxious interior that I would kill for and was just stunning to look at.

The classic cars were nothing exciting, for me, and it was quite pathetic to see how hard Scion is trying to attract the young crowd.

I was mesmerized by how "gansta" the S600 Maybach is, I mean, geez, how bad ass can a car really be? The Designo lime green g63 was nothing to scoff at either, I love love love the G Class.

Your thoughts?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
dbworld4k

Tinkered with the Hellcat at the Chicago Auto Show. Holy shit, I knew it would be a compromise on build quality but not THIS bad. That vinyl on the doors and dash was utterly revolting, even an Mazda 3 and offerings from Kia/Hyundai had much much better interiors. Not to mention one of the surrounds on the headlights fell out of the car when someone closed the hood. Panel gaps were visibly off on the trunk and quarter panels too.

I get it, the car is all about HP. But there's no way I could live with that thing day in day out.

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
DAM
Trinational 951

Also did not take photos. Jaguar certainly knows how to put on a show - I was there on family day so it was insane to begin with but Jaguar was not navigable due to the hoard and Porsche right beside had relatively few.

Cadillac is doing some really great stuff. The Vs they had on display were incredible.

Was also happy to catch a glimpse of my first and probably last LaFerrari (think this was Chilton's?)
Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

I missed it this year.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

While a Hellcat sedan is badass, I was disappointed to only see it running a 275 squared setup. Even the z28 ran 305s all around, the GT350r matches the z28 up front but has 315s in the rear. The Ford GT has some amazing lines, I hope it makes it to production without much changes. I don't think I've ever spent so much time in a ford booth before...

I felt like they've been teasing us with the NSX for so many years now, it lost all it's hype. I prefer Ford's approach, come out with a bang and hit production a year later. The Jags and LRs were all business as usual, I kept trying to picture the GT4 the whole time I was in the Porsche area. I preffered the old SLS over the new GT. Not as many classics this year, I don't think I saw a Cruise National display like they usually have. The Ferrari and Huayra are works of art.

Overall I felt like it was a good show, there was a good number of cars I wanted to see in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIAS2015-7289.jpg (202.5 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg CIAS2015-1117.jpg (300.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg CIAS2015-7422.jpg (355.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg CIAS2015-7316.jpg (296.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg CIAS2015-7315.jpg (266.5 KB, 210 views)
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

The main thing I pay attention to at the auto show is how the companies want to present themselves as far as the aesthetics of their booths and personnel. After all, the whole thing is a marketing exercise. Ford's booth definitely did the best of keeping people there a long time, with kids' activities and its soothing futuristic Ford Blue lighting.

A trend I'm happy about is that the seats in sport edition cars are being taken much more seriously. After decades of autojournos complaining of the lateral support of car seats, nearly all the manufacturers have responded. The Recaros in the Fords and Camaros seem very good for comfortable sporty seats.

I didn't bother bringing a camera, so apologies for the following potato pics:

I agree that the classics section was much smaller than years past, but I was quite happy to see a Tucker. I've always liked it, and since only 51 were made, this is the first one I've seen.

Here's the door hinge of the Jeep Wrangler. There are two nylon straps: one is the door limiter. The other houses the wiring for the door window and lock. While I applaud the simplicity, I find this setup slightly terrifying.

Finally, I have an underhood shot of the new M3. BMW has gone a bit crazy with the ///M branding when they build it into the radiator shrouds and the structure of plastic support brackets.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
Here's the door hinge of the Jeep Wrangler. There are two nylon straps: one is the door limiter. The other houses the wiring for the door window and lock. While I applaud the simplicity, I find this setup slightly terrifying.
It's because the Wrangler doors are designed to be removed in like 2 minutes tops for the dudes who want to ride trails or cruise down the beach with no doors.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
It's because the Wrangler doors are designed to be removed in like 2 minutes tops for the dudes who want to ride trails or cruise down the beach with no doors.
I understand, and I guess this is the easiest and simplest way to accomplish it. I'd just always be afraid of snapping the wiring harness.

I guess I spent too much time in old Jeeps with no wiring in the doors. Manual locks are a non-starter for cars these days.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

great show.. i thought there was going to be a la ferrari but i couldn't find it

oh and i saw people walking around with selfie sticks.. is that really necessary at a car show
blk325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #10
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk325i View Post
great show.. i thought there was going to be a la ferrari but i couldn't find it

oh and i saw people walking around with selfie sticks.. is that really necessary at a car show
The La Ferrari was in the North building by the North East corner that led to the walkway to the South building:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LaFerrari.jpg (150.1 KB, 162 views)
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
The La Ferrari was in the North building by the North East corner that led to the walkway to the South building:
Damn, what a car! What did you guys think of the new ford gt and the nsx?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:59 AM   #12
NIMA
4th Gear Member

The obvious : LaFerrari, Huyara ,and the Maserati Alfieri ( hoping it goes into production )
The entire M division from BMW X5M & X6M are gorgeous
The new Lambo Huracan
The future of Infiniti is very bright if they make those 2 cars
As M5Lover also said, that RR SVR was a beast !

Weak showing from Aston Martin
No Porsche 918, Aventador or P1...............Auto Exxotica is diminishing in size every year
Really wanted to see the G63 in a better colour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0218 (800x600).jpg (328.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0140 (800x600).jpg (358.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0177 (800x600).jpg (294.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0179 (800x600).jpg (351.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0222 (800x600).jpg (279.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0271 (800x600).jpg (269.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0278 (800x600).jpg (287.2 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by NIMA; 03-01-2015 at 05:04 AM.
NIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:41 AM   #13
oize23
1st Gear Newbie

been there and i liked it. There were few beauties that I couldn't take my ayes off...
oize23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 PM   #14
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1 View Post
Damn, what a car! What did you guys think of the new ford gt and the nsx?
The GT was nice, NSX was gone before I got there....
Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #15
jeff2
Jeff2

Similar to past years EXCEPT the Official 2015 Auto show guide sucked. Format was not useful, no index... and correct if I'm wrong but the 4 series picture is a blue car of the 3 Series. The Auto Show guide is not something you want messed up.

I really hope they get it right next year...
jeff2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: