Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #241
Sea Aych
3rd Gear Member
 
Sea Aych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 332


Anybody got any recommendations on where to get a good quality + costco-priced battery for the e30 around the GTA?
Every costco i've called said they no longer stock batteries for BMW...
Sea Aych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #242
SubDad
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 184
Part Source or Canadian Tire. Or NAPA or even Sears. Or go back to Costco with a tape measure.
No, really! Batteries are a commodity like tires or gas or wiper blades.They come in sizes and aren't car model specific.
Measure the space you have available, note the terminal positions and get the biggest battery that fits with the most cranking amps and reserve life. Don't go too cheap, or spend too much on some fancy woowoo battery. All batteries are on borrowed time after 5 years.
Your battery's probably in the trunk so you'll want one that vents overboard.

Last edited by SubDad; 10-17-2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Grammatical facepalm.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #243
Sea Aych
3rd Gear Member
 
Sea Aych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDad View Post
Part Source or Canadian Tire. Or NAPA or even Sears. Or go back to Costco with a tape measure.
No, really! Batteries are a commodity like tires or gas or wiper blades.They come in sizes and aren't car model specific.
Measure the space you have available, note the terminal positions and get the biggest battery that fits with the most cranking amps and reserve life.
Thanks! After a roadside incident this evening, it's definitely not the battery (which I temporarily replaced - gotta return it tomorrow).
Car started fine, drove to the grocery store, then car wouldn't start back up.

Get all the lights on the dash, the main relay clicks, but when I turn the key to start, nothing.
The first couple times I tried to restart the car, I got a single click from the starter, but then after that nothing.
If i hold the key in "start" for 15-20 seconds, I occasionally get a whmmp as if the starter wants to turn but wont.

I tried the 'ol tickle the starter with a hammer trick while trying to crank it over, but nothing.
Any ideas folks?
Sea Aych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #244
SubDad
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 184
I hate to be *that guy*, but they're are a lot of "No crank" diagnosis threads.

Anything written by "jlevie" is E30 truth, but your swap changes some subtleties.

Battery connections? Ground?
If the lights go dim when you turn the key power is going somewhere, and it's probably the starter. I'd start (sorry) by charging either of the batteries and seeing what happens. (Voltage at rest, voltage while cranking, smoke rising from the starter, etc.)
If the high beams and the vent fan are bright and loud before trying to start, your battery is probably good enough, but honestly, a lot of times people will chase their tails for a bad battery. I know you borrowed one, but you don't really know what shape it's in.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #245
Sea Aych
3rd Gear Member
 
Sea Aych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDad View Post
I hate to be *that guy*, but they're are a lot of "No crank" diagnosis threads.

Anything written by "jlevie" is E30 truth, but your swap changes some subtleties.

Battery connections? Ground?
If the lights go dim when you turn the key power is going somewhere, and it's probably the starter. I'd start (sorry) by charging either of the batteries and seeing what happens. (Voltage at rest, voltage while cranking, smoke rising from the starter, etc.)
If the high beams and the vent fan are bright and loud before trying to start, your battery is probably good enough, but honestly, a lot of times people will chase their tails for a bad battery. I know you borrowed one, but you don't really know what shape it's in.
No, no, all help appreciated! He's usually my go-to as well.
I actually popped into walmart nearby and grabbed a brand new one! Checked in the store with a multimeter to make sure it was charged up too.
Jump starting made no difference either.
Cleaned up the connections, but didn't get a chance in the dark and without my tools to check the ground in the engine bay.
When i get the key to "start", lights go dim/off, radio and all that jazz shut off, but I get nothing. Hence my first guess at the starter - i'll have to look into it during daylight in the next couple days after work I guess.

Last edited by Sea Aych; 10-17-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Sea Aych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #246
SubDad
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 184
Good luck to you, I'm sure daylight and tools will solve it. Let us know what solves it so we can save it to our collective memory.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #247
estoguy
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Aych View Post
Anybody got any recommendations on where to get a good quality + costco-priced battery for the e30 around the GTA?
Every costco i've called said they no longer stock batteries for BMW...
When I got my E30 from my best friend, he had a spare battery from a VW diesel, big sucker. It's been in my car for 4 years, and it's never left me stranded. I tested it last spring with a load tester, and it was still testing strong. And the battery is about 6 years old...


Volkswagen battery 000 915 105 DH, 80Ah 380A DIN 640A SAE. Equivalent to BCI Group 94R and they aren't that expensive, one website, German Supply had it for $138 in a quick search.
__________________
1986 325 ~Elsa~
Alpenweiss

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #248
SubDad
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 184
^^ Yep, I had a 1976 Audi Fox, like a Dasher. Like a Rabbit. Golf. Oh never mind, you youngsters. A VW 4 cylinder gas, manual, sedan.

Anyway, I went to Canadian Tire to buy a battery, mentioned to the guy that I had a hard-start when hot condition* and he, they're not all stupid, said "Why not buy the battery for the diesel automatic version?" So I did. Could probably have driven 20 km just on the starter, and it lasted 3 more cars.

*Bendix mechanical injection, 5th injector controlled by a bimetallic strip. They were not available in junkyards and I couldn't afford new.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #249
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 6,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Aych View Post
No, no, all help appreciated! He's usually my go-to as well.
I actually popped into walmart nearby and grabbed a brand new one! Checked in the store with a multimeter to make sure it was charged up too.
Jump starting made no difference either.
Cleaned up the connections, but didn't get a chance in the dark and without my tools to check the ground in the engine bay.
When i get the key to "start", lights go dim/off, radio and all that jazz shut off, but I get nothing. Hence my first guess at the starter - i'll have to look into it during daylight in the next couple days after work I guess.
That old ground strap from the oil pan to the chassis will getcha every time...
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #250
Sea Aych
3rd Gear Member
 
Sea Aych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
That old ground strap from the oil pan to the chassis will getcha every time...
Back from using a multimeter and poking around.
Pulled the ground strap out and it looked/tested good! Nice and shiny too
Battery is all good (even the old one), outputting ~12.7 volts with the car off.
Getting a solid 12v to the starter, power's where it should be, and the two smaller wires coming of the starter (unloader circuit and the solenoid power) look good
Then finally, when trying to start the car, I hear a "chk-chk" from the starter. and that's it. Sometimes it won't even do that.

Bleh.

I should mention too that the starter's been acting up for over 6 months, not always disengaging after the car starts, squealing to all hell for a couple seconds

Last edited by Sea Aych; 10-19-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Sea Aych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #251
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 6,009
Pull the starter and bench test it.

Also, just because the ground strap looks good doesn't mean that there isn't some oxidation or crud on the posts where it mounts. Make sure all the mounting points are nice and shiny
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #252
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century
 
Yamahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kitchener
Posts: 853
Are the positive's on the start solenoid loose or corroded or something? Do you a get a low resistance when measuring from the alternator to the positive block on pass side?

The starting hanging up is usually from the ring gear/pinion alignment, not really electrical related.

If you want a different starter to try I have 4 sitting sitting around.
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #253
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century
 
Yamahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kitchener
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Pull the starter and bench test it.

Also, just because the ground strap looks good doesn't mean that there isn't some oxidation or crud on the posts where it mounts. Make sure all the mounting points are nice and shiny
Woah, hey
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #254
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...
 
Ceeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,429
These are pretty simple systems. You have a short. As mentioned; I'd inspect the ground strap even with the plastic covering it moisture can get in and corrode causing problems and as Bullet ride said is a very common problem.

Try this for out for shits and giggles: Ground the engine from the valve cover to the firewall or shock mount tower and see if that changes anything. If it does then you know it's a ground issue. If not, then most likely internal starter or solenoid.

rebuilt starter from any rebuilder is about 100.00
__________________

I think I've had 18 bmw's in 6 years.

1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.
latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
KEEPER 88 5sp Vert 2016
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #255
Sea Aych
3rd Gear Member
 
Sea Aych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
Are the positive's on the start solenoid loose or corroded or something? Do you a get a low resistance when measuring from the alternator to the positive block on pass side?

The starting hanging up is usually from the ring gear/pinion alignment, not really electrical related.

If you want a different starter to try I have 4 sitting sitting around.
I'll send you a PM! Even if this doesn't end up being the problem I'd like one that doesn't squeal constantly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
These are pretty simple systems. You have a short. As mentioned; I'd inspect the ground strap even with the plastic covering it moisture can get in and corrode causing problems and as Bullet ride said is a very common problem.

Try this for out for shits and giggles: Ground the engine from the valve cover to the firewall or shock mount tower and see if that changes anything. If it does then you know it's a ground issue. If not, then most likely internal starter or solenoid.

rebuilt starter from any rebuilder is about 100.00
Picking up the ground strap today after work - will try that too!

Thanks again for all the help
Sea Aych is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018