Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

I Need To Remove My Sunroof Cassette

K My Headliner is off finally...Now I know why the E36 sunroof is the devil...

So how do I remove the cassette, I gotta get my sunroof liner back on track...I see all the torx screws, but at each corner theres a tube going into the cassette????...

Thanks

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
each corner has a tube.. (drain tubes) for draining rain water out of the sunroof cartridge... also why it is safe to keep your sunroof tilted in the rain, water won't collect in there.. it'll drain out. The hoses travel down the A and C pillars. Disconnect these tubes, you'll have to cut the metal clamp holding it, then pull the hoses off, and replace with adjustable clamps after.

Next, Remove the sunroof motor

Finally, Remove the torx screws/bolts.

Sunroof cartridge will fall on your head, so be careful.

To remove it from your car, you'll need to recline your seats as far as possible, then the cartridge can slip out. the doors. It'll take a bit of wiggling, be sure not to damage the rubber around your doors.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Thanks Justin as always. Done and Done it's out....now 2 quick questions....on the liner when the cartridge is out it has 2 holes on either side...now I'm guessing these holes are for the sliding of the sunroof liner, to slide automatically once clipped into place??? Also the cables that slide is there one longer then the other?? Cause it seems the ends are lined up when I close it completly but when I open it those ends are not lined up??

Old 03-23-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Can you take a picture of the holes?... I thing I know which ones you're talking about. The sunroof liner does have two clips, one on each side. The cables are not the same length, that's right. Even with the cartridge out, it's still tough to fix that panel... as I mentioned in a previous thread, I've had the best luck getting those interior panels to slide forward only while it is still in the car.

Also, you know when you're opening the sunroof there is a brief moment when the sunroof is tilted down. (The back of the sunroof is tilted down, the front is still flush with the roof).. this is the point where the liner can unhook easiest, and allows it to move forward. I recommend wiring up a 12V lead to the sunroof motor and putting it in this position before trying to pull the liner forward.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Right now the roof is in the closed postion. The liner for the sunroof is all the way to the front. It was so far back that the little arm sticking out at the back on the drivers side went past the 2 plastic lips and into the rubber guard around the edge...So the little wheel on the arm came out of the track. I'm going to clean the track behind that little ball with brake fluid and sand it a bit and drop a bit of JB weld in there, so it acts like a stopper and this problem doesn't happen again....

Right now I don't have a digi cam, so no pics. I'm looking on the web and find pics of the cassette, but I can't find a detailed one..

Thanks for all the help

When I get home tonight I'm going to buy some white lithium(sp?) grease to grease up the tracks..and time to put the cartridge back in....good times....lol

Seeing the headliner is out, what is the best product to clean it?

Old 03-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
Justin e36
---

This is going to sound very weird, but I found dish detergent (I used Sunlight) with water, lightly scrubbing with a cloth worked amazing for cleaning that sunroof liner... likely because dish detergent is just that.. a detergent, which cuts oils and grease. Also dries without any noticable residue.

White grease will work well instead of lithium grease if you want. Lithium grease is usually used more for mechanical parts coming in contact with each other. White grease is usually used more for sliders and runners.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

So i got my grease and etc.. Put the cartridge back in and went to put the sliders on(the ones that go on the cable at the end where it's super skinny) anyway got the drivers side on but could put the passengers side and finally I slide the cable on one side to line up identical to the other side at the opening of the track near the front...Now the first sliders I put in had a peice of white plastic on it...and it can tilt...but I'm wondering what it is used for? Also when I go to put in the other sliders attached to the arm that attaches to the cross member of the sunroof they should end up going where they are supposed to right?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

So are the arms and what not in the right place? Does the little block with the white plastic thing on it(3rd from the left) go behind the black cross member(4th from the left)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tony Bmw 2006 005.jpg (52.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Nascar318is; 03-27-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: