Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
97Dakar
1st Gear Newbie

1997 bmw m3 overheating issue

hey, guys, I have a 1997 m3. the car is solid but today was taking pics, had the car running. Saw the temp gauge was a bit more than half but it started to cool down once I drove for a bit. drove it home after it sitting for an hour and it didn't heat up at all, even let it run for 5- 10 mins once I got home and it didn't move.

the car has an aluminum thermostat.

Not sure if any other parts were replaced. need some of your guy's advice!!!!!!!!!

where can i buy a new cooling kit? and what parts do you guys recommend for me to solve any cooling issues with my e36? Thanks, in advance
97Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #2
5style
Lala-land

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Dakar View Post
hey, guys, I have a 1997 m3. the car is solid but today was taking pics, had the car running. Saw the temp gauge was a bit more than half but it started to cool down once I drove for a bit. drove it home after it sitting for an hour and it didn't heat up at all, even let it run for 5- 10 mins once I got home and it didn't move.

the car has an aluminum thermostat.

Not sure if any other parts were replaced. need some of your guy's advice!!!!!!!!!

where can i buy a new cooling kit? and what parts do you guys recommend for me to solve any cooling issues with my e36? Thanks, in advance
No such thing as an aluminum thermostat, its just the housing.

When was the last time the coolant was changed? There could be a lot of crud in the system from neglect, especially if green coolant was used, thus blocking the thermostat, causing it to stick partially closed.

Do you have an extra electric puller fan? Or are you running fdm? Or do you have a fan clutch?

If you are running FDM, make sure you at least have a 4 cylinder temp switch to kick the fan on early.

Second electric fan, set to lower on temps

Fanclutch, make sure its operational. With a hot engine at idle it shouldn't stop. stick a rolled up news paper to it, if the blades stop its dead, if it chops the paper up, it still stiff. It should be blowing lots of air at idle and warm

Personally my cooling system: CSF Racing rad, HPS silicone hoses ( complete cooling system, not just the rad hoses) , Stewart Waterpump, behr Thermostat stock temp ( once its open its open, lower temp thermostat won't do crap on the street except maybe raise your emissions), m44 lower temp fan switch, alloy thermostat housing, alloy mishimoto expansion tank, mishimoto expansion tank bracket and 2800cfm fan, mishimoto fan controller, fan clutch delete and bmw blue coolant. I can be at 5-6k up the 2000ft incline on hwy 74 behind my house with zero issues.

Its an investment, but one that you won't be replacing anytime soon.

If that fails, at the very least, flush your cooling system and make sure your fan clutch is good, your rad is not brittle ( your engine mounts aren't torn as this will ruin the rad and more by tugging on the return hose as well as making the fan clutch explode)

A good flush can do wonders if there rest of the parts are in newish shape, but if you have a old oem plastic cooling system, I highly advise replacing it, as it truly is a ticking time bomb
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Any leaks? Coolant level fine?

Most likely either the tstat or waterpump. Have them checked.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
97Dakar
1st Gear Newbie

hey guys little update car hasn't overheated since that day. thanks for all the help! will be changing the whole coolent system soon
97Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Dinanstu
4th Gear Member

When you do, upgrade to a Stewart water pump.
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
Bimmers
///M3

Mine had similar issue and it was the radiator (it had a small hole in the bottom of it) could not see a leak but enough to get air in to the cooling system.got that replaced no problem since.
Bimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
Dinanstu
4th Gear Member

The stock rad is pressed together and will fail. Replace it with an aluminum one.
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw, e36, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: