Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,341
importing a car ??



does anyone know what is involved in buying, then shipping a car from california to canada ? will i get busted with major bills at the border ? can you say it's being sent for repairs so you don't get hit with duties and then license it in canada ?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Acidblast
3rd Gear Member
 
Acidblast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 570
i found a little info on Willz leasing website. here's the link http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm As far as i know when my brother shipped over his '95 M3 from California to Toronto he had to pay taxes, duty, and made sure the car met canadian standards such as stronger bumpers and emissions. he spent roughly $8,000CDN bringing his US M3 to canada. hope that helps
__________________
"Ooh, they have the internet on computers now" Homer J. Simpson
Acidblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
Manimillion
Photographer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
can you say it's being sent for repairs so you don't get hit with duties and then license it in canada ?
People bitch about the health care, roads and education etc. then they turn around and say stuff like this...

There is probably no way of you getting a car in without paying duties, you have to make sure you got insurance for the vehicle before it enters Canada, then you have to make sure it complies with Canadian standards, if it doesn't comply with the Canadian standards, or if the car isn't running you got a certain period of time(I think it was 2 weeks) to fix it/ make it comply with Transport Canada standards, and off you go.

These are what I remember off the top of my head, I might have missed out a cuople of point, I'm not exactly sure what the procedure is for Canadian's, but I know that I don't have to meet the safety standards and/or emissions.
__________________
Manimillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilOnWheelz
People bitch about the health care, roads and education etc. then they turn around and say stuff like this...

There is probably no way of you getting a car in without paying duties, you have to make sure you got insurance for the vehicle before it enters Canada, then you have to make sure it complies with Canadian standards, if it doesn't comply with the Canadian standards, or if the car isn't running you got a certain period of time(I think it was 2 weeks) to fix it/ make it comply with Transport Canada standards, and off you go.

These are what I remember off the top of my head, I might have missed out a cuople of point, I'm not exactly sure what the procedure is for Canadian's, but I know that I don't have to meet the safety standards and/or emissions.

the car is basically a roller...the motor is pretty much pooched..... i was thinking of tossing my m3 motor in it
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:48 PM   #5
Manimillion
Photographer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
the car is basically a roller...the motor is pretty much pooched..... i was thinking of tossing my m3 motor in it
The best thing would be calling Transport Canada Office and talking to them personally. I know the rules but like I said, I'm not sure what the rules are for you guys, but I'm pretty positive that there is a time period for the car to be up and running.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
__________________
Manimillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,341
cool....my mom actualy works for transport canada...i guess i could ask her....she might kick me in the ass though
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
Quack
Wheelman
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,081
Send a message via MSN to Quack
so what is this roller? are you going to keep this a secret, come on tell us
__________________

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack
so what is this roller? are you going to keep this a secret, come on tell us
nothing special...just an e30 318is

i cant get the friggin' pics to work...look here: http://www.freepichosting.com/Albums/421557399.html

Last edited by jeremy; 09-23-2004 at 10:15 PM.
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #9
Lee in Ottawa
5th Gear Member
 
Lee in Ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,061
Where'd u find that Jer, whats wrong with it?
Lee in Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:22 PM   #10
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,341
i will NEVER tell....the motor is pooched....dont go cock blockin me
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:23 PM   #11
Lee in Ottawa
5th Gear Member
 
Lee in Ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,061
Don't have the time or patience to haul my ass all the way to LA for an e30 even though it looks mint on mint.I'd never hate on another mans project
Lee in Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:24 PM   #12
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,341
i would have to have it shipped here...
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:26 PM   #13
Quack
Wheelman
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,081
Send a message via MSN to Quack
looks pretty clean, interior is pretty mint, the price must be good for you to get a car from so far
__________________

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:41 PM   #14
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack
looks pretty clean, interior is pretty mint, the price must be good for you to get a car from so far
yup....good price...i e-mailed will from willz.ca to see what it would cost ..
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:43 PM   #15
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.
 
BMW BMXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 7,757
Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
I payed
7% tax
ac tax

had to have ins first, I think thats it.
__________________

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2017