Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2003, 01:58 AM   #1
d12
3rd Gear Member

insurance question

is it possible to do this:

have a parent as primary driver on one car and have it registered with one company and then have same parent as primary driver on second car and me as secondary driver on the second car and have this second car registered with another company ? i called few small companies they said it's possible but then i called bell air and they said it's not possible, anyone know ?

thx
d12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:58 AM   #2
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Why not???? I have 2 cars with 2 different companies....

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:14 AM   #3
///deni-boy///
4th Gear Member

I had the same idea for when i will get a car, but its trickier for me cuz when i get a car we will have 3 cars. I think you can do it but the insurance company still sees how many cars are registered for that household so even if they arent in the same company they prolly will give you a high quote, thats what i think, remember they are tricky bastards trying to make money!!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:17 AM   #4
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ///deni-boy///
I had the same idea for when i will get a car, but its trickier for me cuz when i get a car we will have 3 cars. I think you can do it but the insurance company still sees how many cars are registered for that household so even if they arent in the same company they prolly will give you a high quote, thats what i think, remember they are tricky bastards trying to make money!!
Maybe in Ontario I don't know how your laws are or what not....we have 5 cars and 3 drivers to our house. When I went with my company for the Bmw they never asked me anything about other cars or what not. And none of our cars are with that company...just the one (now)

Old 11-04-2003, 04:54 AM   #5
SickFinga

it is possible, but it is called insurance fraud.
why would you wanna do that anyway, multiple cars get you a discount.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 05:23 AM   #6
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

I think even with a multi car discount- you will get raped if you are young and primary driver on any car. Especially if you live in the GTA. I've been quoted $3600 for a $500 1989 Tercel- they said it was because it was a "hatchback". Presuming that all guys who drives hatches will soup it up and go crazy.

My dad has a company car- insured under the company, and both my dad and my mom's name is on the BMW. However, if my dad were to buy a car for himself, and put it under his name- I would have to be primary driver on it if I wanted to be insured on it- or sign some legal document saying I wouldn't be driving it at all- which is stupid...what if my dad told me to gas it up because he forgot...what if there was an emergency? We own a car, our money, but not allowed to use it as we please because we don't believe that I should be paying primary driver when I won't be (i'm at university now too)???

The thing is, if that happens, the rates on the BM will not go down either, even through I can only drive 1 car at a time.

We really need public auto insurance...I don't see why they can't see that a beginner driver is a beginner- no matter what the age. Just so happens, many young people, are beginner drivers...obviously they won't drive as good. The excuse of no public auto insurance keeps roads safe because it prevents young people from affording a car is a dangerous way of thinking...since then, instead of 16 year old crazy drivers, we will get 20 year old crazy drivers. Then, the theory steps on it's toes, and goes in a vicious circle. The young poor people who need the cars need them for going to work and stuff. The loaded young who have the money to actually get a car, probably don't need to work- so when will their cars be out? When it's time for fun...hahaha.

I wish insurance will just F off and treat everyone as equals.

Last edited by M3ti Compact; 11-04-2003 at 05:43 AM.
M3ti Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
d12
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
it is possible, but it is called insurance fraud.
why would you wanna do that anyway, multiple cars get you a discount.
well yes but no.. lets say my dad has audi a4 2000, and I buy bmw 2000, then as you say i need to be primary driver on audi and secondary on bmw, do you know how much will that be ? ALOT

if my dad will be primary on audi he will pay MAX 2k/year (compare to 5-10k for me if i'll be primary then plus bmw 5-10k), then parent will be primary on bmw and im secondary in other company... this is ALOT cheaper then putting both cars to one company

i wonder if anyone does this and how do insurance companies react to this ?

Last edited by d12; 11-04-2003 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I tried this last week.. my insurance company (The Personal) switched and made me primary on my BMW.. and my dad secondary.. (since he's primary on his pickup truck)... result? $550 a month in insurance... I'm 22, what the @*(#U.

.. so I tried to go with another company him and primary, him secondary... indeed, it's illegal.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:05 AM   #9
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

IMO fraud is when you drive your car into the river and report it stolen. I don't see why you are not allowed to insure with multiple insurence companies.....If I stayed with the company for my toyota and I put the Bmw on it I'd be stuck with a bill for over $1800 a year. With 2 different companies I pay only $1300 a year...Like I said before it might just be in Ontario and not hear in Quebec...

Old 11-05-2003, 01:01 AM   #10
d12
3rd Gear Member

where can I check if it's ok in ontario or illigal?
Old 11-05-2003, 01:22 AM   #11
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

It's illegal, trust me. My family is stuck with 2 cars because of this stupid law.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:07 AM   #12
d12
3rd Gear Member

what will happen if u signup for 2 companies and then get into accident, can they say u should of stayed with same company and not pay u money ?
Old 11-05-2003, 02:08 AM   #13
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

You will be charged with fraud and may have to serve time.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:30 AM   #14
d12
3rd Gear Member

how do u know that, where can i read about it ? is there a law for this ?
Old 11-05-2003, 03:44 AM   #15
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

You could call your company or you could ask a police officer. I'm sure they know the laws for that....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: