Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2002, 06:16 PM   #1
Autotechnica
Little Chino

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Best place to do undercoating?

I just finished sanding and picked out all or most of the rust from body pannels and fenders, etc. Since winter is comming up I'd like to know where would be a good place to get an undercoating done. For a good price too. I see many places that do it for $60-$70, is this resonable? Thanks

Bryan
Old 09-13-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

effectively, there are 2 kinds or undercoating for your car. The dripless kind and the oil based kind. Undependant research shows that the oil based (read: drip) kind is much more effective because the mist gets into the smallest little areas in the car to protect it entirely from the inside out. Just park it on the street for the first few days. You'll be looking at spending around $100 (not everything in life is cheap Bryan, sometimes you need to actually spend money) and Crown or Rust Check both offer the product with limited warranties.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
Autotechnica
Little Chino

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
effectively, there are 2 kinds or undercoating for your car. The dripless kind and the oil based kind. Undependant research shows that the oil based (read: drip) kind is much more effective because the mist gets into the smallest little areas in the car to protect it entirely from the inside out. Just park it on the street for the first few days. You'll be looking at spending around $100 (not everything in life is cheap Bryan, sometimes you need to actually spend money) and Crown or Rust Check both offer the product with limited warranties.
Ok thanks Randy. I'll go check it out. Because I was thinking of doing this every winter I was trying to save some money, but your right, can't get a half-assed job for something like this.

Bryan
Old 09-13-2002, 03:26 PM   #4
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
while at the topic. i posted that i scratched the bottom of my car a few months ago and it is only one line. is the stuff i got from canadian tire good enough for that or not?

i was thinking just to clean the line and spray it with the undercoat spray i have. what do u guys say??
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:49 PM   #5
DunDan
3rd Gear Member

I did the same thing bottoming out the car and left a big spot of undercoating on the driveway. I got some rubber asphalt spray from CT and covered the scratched spot. My car was undercoated and rust-proofed before and the spray was the same thing as professional undercoating as far as I can tell but far more inexpensive.

There was also a cheap wheel well protectant spray at CT. Maybe I'll put some of that on this weekend.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:58 PM   #6
Phantom
Automation geek

Re: Best place to do undercoating?

Quote:
Originally posted by MTRD
I just finished sanding and picked out all or most of the rust from body pannels and fenders, etc. Since winter is comming up I'd like to know where would be a good place to get an undercoating done. For a good price too. I see many places that do it for $60-$70, is this resonable? Thanks

Bryan

Rust Check...........$129. Whole car. I've been using them for 6 years. No rust yet.

P.S Randy's right about the drip type. It gets into hard to reach crevices where rust usually begins.

Last edited by Phantom; 09-13-2002 at 04:01 PM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:04 AM   #7
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Where can I find this "Rust Check" store?

I guess I have to undercoat my car before winter comes..

Do these undercoating actually help?

how about soundwise?

I read something about undercoating being soundproof or helps
or whatever, is this BS?

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 09-16-2002 at 01:46 AM.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:45 AM   #8
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by mpower1226
Where can I find this "Rust Check" store?

I guess I have to undercoat my car before winter comes..

Do these undercoating actually help?

Yes, they do really help... but it's also better when you have years of applications on your car so it becomes relatively thick. I was told from Rust Check that the best time to do it is in the late summer when it's relatively hot still so the oil can really seep everywhere while it's still viscous from the sun's heat.... it'll harden when it gets colder. I don't think it insulates the sound... afterall, it is only a film of oil. Rust Check stores can be found here online

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: