Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
Slowered318
6th Gear Member

Washer Pump Power

Can someone with a multimeter do me a huge favor?

I'm getting 12 volts on both the purple/black and brown/black wires at the washer pump, it doesn't seem right but it could be normal? In the middle or replacing all the headlight wires from the fuse box forward, I want to know if I have shorted something out in the process.
Attached Images
File Type: png washerpumps.png (75.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Slowered318; 04-11-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Is the VI/BK always hot and the ground switched? Does the pump work when you pull the lever to squirt?
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Slowered318
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
Is the VI/BK always hot and the ground switched? Does the pump work when you pull the lever to squirt?
Both wires are hot actually (+12.7 volts). Looks like the pump runs on a switched ground. I haven't tried out the pump yet, still working on the wire loom that wraps around the front of the car. Pump worked fine prior and to my knowledge I haven't changed anything.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

If it's a switch ground, then BK/BR from the motor to the switch would be same voltage as VI/BK. If you disconnect the washer pump, BK/BR should not have continuity to ground until you pull the lever to activate the pump.

Without having the schematics in front of me, that's the best I can explain, based on what you've said about the switching on the ground.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Slowered318
6th Gear Member

As stated, I'm getting power on both terminals with the pump disconnected, how much power I don't know. It just doesn't seem right, that's why I need someone to check on a working car in case I'm not understanding what's going on inside the K10 wiper/washer control unit.

Here is the full circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 11.08 AM.png (235.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

When you pull the washer lever on the steering column, you ground the connection, making the motor run. You also ground pin 85 (I think that says 85??) which tells the K10 wiper unit to cycle the wipers.

edit: actually, not sure if the K10 would provide low amperage at 12 V?

Last edited by cirrusblau; 04-11-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
Slowered318
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
edit: actually, not sure if the K10 would provide low amperage at 12 V?
This is exactly what I would like to know.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Roadent
1st Gear Newbie

E30 windshield washer pump

Hoping this helps others with the washer pump conundrum! After purchasing a new pump, t-junction, scouring the web, testing circuits, checking fuses, ground - many hours. I offer the start point for anyone with this issue.

If your windshield washer pump is not working, but your wipers are, then the issue is likely with the contact in the wiper/washer switch on your steering column. I recommend you start with sanding the contacts (see arrow in photo) for the washer switch on the control arm, which will likely remedy your pump issue. If that does not work, then test your pump separately - hot wire to battery. After that then go to other forums for testing fuses, control modules, etc.

IMG_0191_LI.jpg
Roadent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: