Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
doctajay
1st Gear Newbie

Type of Gas for 1992 325i

Hey guys. I'm really knew to all this. When I had my 633csi, i put 87 octane gas in that car, but Im not sure if I can do the same for my 92 325i. What type of gas do you recommend I put in my 325i? Alot!!!
doctajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
i run 87 as well in my 92, havent had a problem yet, when i got cash layin around i put in 92, honestly cant tell the difference, save yourself a few bucks at the pump this winter and go 87, not like you need hi performance in the winter
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
RumRogerz
2nd Gear Member

I almost always use 91. If you read the manual, they do tell ya to throw in 91 octane into your car. They way i see it is: if the engineers are telling me to put in that type of gas, its for a damn good reason.

And if you have high milage on your engine, you might want your combustion to be a bit cleaner, no?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

the manual also tells you to take it in for service and oil changes at the dealer
Old 12-19-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I go with 94 Octane all the time. Yes you should use minimum 91 octane. BMW engines are designed for high octane fuel as they get very hot and pre-ignite fuel quite easily. Anything lower than 91 octane will cause pinging / vibrations. In time this can break piston rings, pistons, damage engine bearings, and break crankshafts.

Bottom line, your engine has a high compression ratio. It is designed for high octane fuel. Note that your engine has knock sensors to help minimize engine damage from pre-ignited fuel... but you're better off going with the proper fuel. (Not to mention your fuel economy will be better---no wasted fuel.)

Last edited by Justin e36; 12-19-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #6
app
5th Gear Member

91 now, since Pioneer decided to forget about 93.

No sunoco's close to where I am, but when I see one and need gas its 94.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

i run 87, never herd a ping, engine desiel or anything related to improper fuel usage, your gas bill will be cheaper because youll be saving 6-7 bucks a fuel up by going 87 octain,

whenever i fuel up with 91 it burns faster and i have to refill sooner,

u guys are all soo paranoid 87 is fine!

i wouldnt consider a 10:1 compression engine a "high compression engine" most cars are running that now and never say use 91

its all about you have a premium car, so use premium gas idea
Old 12-19-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
M3_Shadow
2nd Gear Member

When i first got my car i put in 87 or 89, then i started using 91 and havent looked back. Even if you save a couple of bucks on 87, you end up filling up more often (at least i did).

I find that 91 lasts longer than 87, and its better for your car anyways.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
jeffrie
Addict

Problem with 91 octane is theirs alot of gas stations that put in watered down gas or 89 in the 91 tanks!
When stock 89 is fine it's what the ecu is tuned for, you may notice a little less top speed as the ECU retards your timing to prevent pre-ignition (loose power) if you used 91 it wouldn't do this.
If you chip it that is when you see how many gas stations screw you out of high test.
Pinging and loss of power when chipped is super obvious, and well now theirs only a few gas stations that I go to and know are safe now.
Ethenol never pinged either till was about to hit rev limiter but I have no Idea what the octane level is in it. Made a nice cheap substitute just had to keep the revs down a bit, this was when high test was at 1.01 a liter not to long ago.
On another note my oil stays clean between changes intervals of 10k I only use high test myself but know others who use cheap gas has black oil when they do a oil change.
May be related but never tested my theory to see if it's true.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:32 PM   #10
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
there is NO difference in fuel efficiency between fuel grades! You will NOT get better gas mileage from 87 opposed to 91.. EXCEPT from wasted fuel. (pre-ignited fuel) in which case the higher octane fuel would be more fuel efficient. The same amount of fuel is fed into the cylinders to make the bang happen.

Read about the differences in fuel grades here: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/040728.htm
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:33 PM   #11
RumRogerz
2nd Gear Member

pioneer is dirty gas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: