Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-22-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
doctajay
1st Gear Newbie

My car was inspected today!!!

I took my 92 325i for a Maryland Inspection so I could apply for my tags. I want to thank you guys for answering all my questions. On top of doing the inspection, the guy realized that all, and I mean all of my rims were bent. Apparently, the pervious owner liked to hit his rims on curbs. This is something I didn't notice at all; but he said that that was probably the reason I felt alot of vibration when I got above 50 mph. I was planning on taking it to the dealer so they could figure out what was wrong with it. Does this guy's analysis sound right? And if so, what kind of rims should I get. The guy at the inspection place told me that 16s would be just right, and 17s would be almost too big and cause me to have a rough ride; does this sound right? What kind of rims look good on e36s (mind you, I'm in college, so think budget ,lol). Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Also, is there any tutorial on how to tune up my e36 myself, or would it be cheaper to take it to a private shop to get it done? Thanks.
doctajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
hey.. yes his analysis sounds right.
he's right.. 16's will look best with the most comfortable ride. (look at the pic in my sig.. that's on 16's)...

however, if comfort is not than issue then 17's or 18's are more suitable... however it's also easier to bend your rims.

If you're on a budget, depending on which rims are ont he car now... your cheapest option might be just to get the 4 existing rims straightened.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
rico328i
5th Gear Member

17's on an E36?

Since you live in Maryland. If possible, do what a lot of us up here do - use 16's or even 15's and slap some winter/snow tires on. Then, I know you're on a budget, but wait for some good affordable 17's to come up.

Here are a few pics of my car on 17's on 235/40/17 rubber. Completely stock. Only a sport pkg drop. I know...the car needs to be lowered!!

In all honesty, the ride is quite comfortable. BMW black magic suspension design!

Rico
98 328i
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imgp0265.jpg (34.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg car_park_1.jpg (45.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg car_park_2.jpg (47.1 KB, 20 views)
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: