Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #1
doctajay
1st Gear Newbie

I am buying my 325i today. Is it a good deal?

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I'm excited about becoming a owner of a 325i. I'm in college, and my first car was a 1984 633CSI which I absolutely loved. But since that car is older than me, my parents didn't trust it to get me down to Alabama for school. So we went looking for another Bimmer. I looked all over, and I found this great deal on Autotrader. It is a 1992 325i, black exterior with tan interior, it has 56, 876 miles on it, and they are asking $5,990 for it. Now I was a little leary of the miles, but the odometer is digitized (doesn't that make it hard to roll back), plus it is CarFax certified or else they will buy it back. The car looks clean, I mean, really, really, really clean. The CarFax report says that it had one previous owner before it came to the dealer. You guys can view the car HERE, on myYahoo Photos . I check out the Retail value on Kelly Blue book, and they said it would normally cost $7,325. My uncle swears that he can get me the same car for $2,500, but these guys seem very honest. They offer a 3,000 mile/3 month full service warenty, so if anything happens with the car, they will fix it, free of charge. I drove the car and it has some serious pickup; I accelerated to 80mph before I knew it, and it hugs the road at 80mph very easiely. Everything electrical inside the car worked, and the engine looked very clean. Everything about this car seems so clean, I just wanted to know what you guys thought of it? Should I be very concerned about the mileage. It looks so well kept that the mileage makes sense, but do you guys think it was rolled back? Can you roll back digital odometers? You wisdom will be very welcome because $5,990 doesn't come easy to a college student. Thanks.
doctajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

Car looks good in the photo, but... I wouldn't say that's a great price. 92 325i's in Canada sell for about $5000 Canadian! Although prices do vary by region.

Also its an AUTOMATIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have the choice - get a manual. Automatic Bmws are for posers

I say listen to your wise uncle and get him to find you a bimmer.

Good luck!
Bmwstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
thats sound slike a nice deal, except your going to have to pretty much change all the bushings, i can garuntee you because of the low milage all the bushings on the car have dried up and cracked, they will probally have to be replaced, i know cause my car was the same way, also the shocks may be shot from sitting so long, check them, pushed down hard on the car, if it bounces more then 3 times then they are gone, check the waterpump and see if it has been replaced and if the thermostat housing has been changed to an aluminum one, those were huge problems on the 3 series e36

good lucks!
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
jeffrie
Addict

Think it's a little pricy but it is from a dealer and warrenty may count for something.
Auto's are worth less then manuals but looks like it was lady driven, explains the milage and how clean it is.
I would suggest you bring it to a good wrench (who knows BMW's well) before you buy it theirs alot that can go wrong that you can't tell till it's on a host with a pry bar in hand.
Their are tampering safty lights on the dash It's blue and by the foglight light (it's green) if you can't see a blue light on your dash your most liky it's safe for tampering reasons, but then again you can always change the cluster....
Looks good I'd only settle for 3500 myself if wrench says it checks out.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #5
erikIS
bigcock

That is way to much $$ for a 92 325...

I wuoldnt do it..

$6000 AMERICAN? oh man.. u can get a 325 for 5000 canadian.. PLUS auto sucks!! the 325 Auto can be comparible to the 318 5-spd
erikIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:59 PM   #6
darkis_light
2nd Gear Member

92 e36

Check the following:

Rear subframe at the body mounts for cracking because it is not reinforced on the 92 and it will fail I guarantee if it is driven hard. ($800+ who knows to repair)

Aux fan for any noise and stiff turning ($269+ to replace)

Condenser and rad for corrosion or evidence of leaking ($500+ to replace)

Be informed and search the forums for problems related to the e36. You may spend alot of dollars to repair if you are not aware.

darkis_light
darkis_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:46 PM   #7
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

wow you weren't joking that thing is clean as a whistle

and i agree it does seem to be a tad overpriced
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajay
the odometer is digitized (doesn't that make it hard to roll back)
Not hard at all, sorry.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:58 AM   #9
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

oh yeah, in fact it might be easier to roll back digital odo's because you don't need to manually remove the whole cluster and manually move the numbers....a computer can do it all for you given you have the right software

saw some crap about this on satelite a couple months ago...cant remember exactly what they said the auction people did but they were like they prefer doing it to the newer models since it was easier to deal with digital odo's v.s. the traditional manual ones
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: