Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
Brickk
Drift Rat

Clutch problems

Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to owning a car I bought my first car and current car about a year back. It's an 01 325i. For the past couple months I've felt the car losing a bit of power and the engine revs a bit high before actually starting to move (almost like you hit the gas a bit to soon before letting off the clutch) I believe if, I'm correct this is what is referred to as slipping? My girlfriend did just learn to drive standard on my car so there was definitely some wear on the clutch from that and I can drive it a bit hard sometimes which would also do some more wear and tear. But last week it actually blew I'm pretty sure. I got it stuck in some mud on a skinny washed out backroad last week (I was so mad) and after finally getting it out about 1km of the way home the car just stopped getting any power to the wheels. The engine still revs but it won't move in any gear even reverse. A woman driving behind us stopped and picked us up and mentioned she could see sparks coming out from under the car. After doing a bit of research and looking under the car I determine, that it's most likely that the clutch has been burnt out. But I also found a part that is covered in grease or oil. So my question is what is this part and why is this happening could I be wrong to think it's the clutch? I have some pictures of the part below.

Rock on maXbimmer folk! #concerthorns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_27523-IMAG0229-1889090563.jpg (334.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg tmp_27523-IMAG02301886041571.jpg (311.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg tmp_27523-IMAG02281927014330.jpg (251.8 KB, 29 views)
Brickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Fta_Dave
2nd Gear Member

The smell of a burnt up clutch is pretty distinctive, similar to really hot brakes, and generally by the time the car wont move anymore loud metallic scraping sounds. The oil shown in tbe pics could be coming from anywhere.... these cars all leak some oil. You need to have someone look at the car as it could be anything at this point.
Fta_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Brickk
Drift Rat

Is there anything in particular I could be looking at to notice some damage? I try as hard as possible to avoid trips to any shops especially at this point as I live 20km to the nearest shop and will have to have the car towed
Old 07-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Brickk
Drift Rat

Also forgot to mention that there WAS a terrible burning smell when the car stopped getting any power which was one of my indicators that it was the clutch
Old 07-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Fta_Dave
2nd Gear Member

Put the rear end up on stands and start the car and put in gear. If the driveshaft doesnt turn, pull out the transmission.
Fta_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Brickk
Drift Rat

Alright I will post the results!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
jabela
6th Gear Member

Definitely sounds like worn clutch. You probably damaged your flywheel with those metal on metal sparks. Unless you do it yourself, you're gonna need a tow to a shop to replace your clutch.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Brickk
Drift Rat

I plan on doing it myself

Old 07-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Brickk
Drift Rat

I'm planning on buying a race clutch kit that comes with the flywheel, another question I have for you guys is how much of a difference in performance and feel will the race clutch make? Me and my girlfriend are planning on buying a 325xi wagon this winter so I plan on turning this into a track/drift build and want to start on it now considering I have to replace things anyway

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: