Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
e46_Fawaz
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up $15 off your first Black car ride (Cheaper than a taxi with this promo code!)

Just started working with Uber. And I've been given an exclusive promo code for my family and friends. Thought I should share the promo code with you guys. If you're headed for a night out and need a cab, instead fire up the Uber mobile app and order a black car. With the promo code that I'm about to give you, your first black car ride will be cheaper than a taxi. So, don't miss out on this!

1. Download Uber app for free (Apple app store and Google Play, Blackberry store, or www.uber.com). Or sign up online at www.uber.com/sign-up

2. Sign up with your name, email, credit card, phone, and promo code

3. Promo Code: FAWAZTO

Promo code gives you $15 off your first Black car ride. This $15 discount makes your first Black car ride cheaper than a taxi. Use it!

Sign up by Sunday 11:59pm, September 15. Your $15 discount will always be valid for the first use (discount will never expire but the promo code will). You cannot use the promo code at sign up for the $15 discount after September 15. Just sign up now!

Feel free to pass it around to your family and friends.

P.S.: Let me know how it goes!

Last edited by e46_Fawaz; 09-05-2013 at 10:59 PM.
e46_Fawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

I just heard about this at the Boston airport last week from a traveler who's friends with the owner. Sounds like an impressive app and his start up bio/story was pretty cool to hear as well.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
e46_Fawaz
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E. View Post
I just heard about this at the Boston airport last week from a traveler who's friends with the owner. Sounds like an impressive app and his start up bio/story was pretty cool to hear as well.

Yeah Travis (CEO) and Ryan (COO) are awesome guys with a lot of determination and grit. The story is pretty cool too but Uber has got some really exciting plans for the future...

It's a very exciting startup to work at! Uber is probably the fastest growing startup ever. They started in 2009 and the company is already worth $3.5 Billion. Google just invested $300 million in Uber! Rumour is that Google will partner up with Uber to get the self driving cars on road. So, people will use Uber to order self driving cabs... It would be pretty cool!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
aviator
3rd Gear Member

So what is this "Black Car Ride" an airport limo? how are they going to get around the Toronto Taxi Lic. laws? you can bet the cab cos. will be shutting this one down fast the way they're shutting down the other taxi apps.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
e46_Fawaz
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
So what is this "Black Car Ride" an airport limo? how are they going to get around the Toronto Taxi Lic. laws? you can bet the cab cos. will be shutting this one down fast the way they're shutting down the other taxi apps.
Hey man,

Uber is democratizing private drivers. So with Uber, anybody can have access to "private drivers". It has also made the process of getting a "cab" so convenient! Uber solves a problem for peak usage times. Most Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings it can be very difficult to get a cab and one looks like an idiot hailing for a taxi. With Uber, I know exactly where the cab is, when it's arriving, and I can call the driver. I can rely on the driver being safe, polite, and professional, and the vehicle being clean and comfortably air conditioned. Once I arrive, I just get out of the car without fumbling for change in my wallet, waiting for the receipt to print, or worrying about how much tip I need to leave. The taxi/ cab industry is built for taxi companies. They don't keep the user experience in mind. Uber is helping in making the user experience better. Plus, a bonus is arriving and leaving the party in style! The looks you get when your $100K black car with a chauffeur pulls up to the curb as you walk out of the bar - well that serves a whole other side of human nature, and that makes for good business.

Now, that's not it.... That's what Uber started as and it made Uber really popular. Now, Uber has the liquidity of so many drivers and cars around a city. Now, Uber can use these drivers and their cars for so many things like hyper fast delivery, Hyper local delivery. Uber has the power to revolutionize the transportation and logistics industry.
I mean with the tap of a button, one can request a car. In the future, we will able to receive who knows what on demand.

So, in the future don't be surprised if Uber is able to, with the tap of a button, give us the following:
- Grocery delivery
- Retail delivery
- Booking and ordering yachts, private jets and choppers etc

Taxi companies all around the world have launched lawsuits against Uber. There are some happening right now as we speak in some cities (e.g; Dallas and New York). But Uber always comes through because Uber is not a taxi or car service. It's basically trying to connect drivers and passengers. Uber does not own any drivers or cars. It's just the middle man watching over the whole process. So, that's the argument it uses and it wins but taxi companies still try to launch lawsuits because they don't want to change the industry.

A few reasons why Uber is game changing:

1. Convenience
Safe, secure, fast, easy, no cash exchanged.

2. Grace
With the tap of a button, you get a private driver in a black car or SUV. Walk outside the party when you know your car is outside (it's shown in live time where it is) and get in without having the need to look like an idiot hailing for a ride. It makes everyone think who the heck this guy is that he has a black car with a chauffeur picking and dropping him. It makes it look like we all have private drivers now. Just last night, I ordered an Uber SUV (you have the option to pick an SUV or a car). So, we went to Sassafraz in a black Escalade with a chauffeur. And the SUV pulls up to the curb and people were trying to catch a glimpse of who was getting out of the SUV (TIFF probably made them more watchful of black SUVs but it's a pretty good feeling when people wonder who the heck you are). And when we were about to leave Sassafraz, I ordered a black SUV (GMC Suburban this time), stepped out of Sassafraz when I knew the SUV was outside as I could see it on the app, and went to Thompson Roof top. Same thing this time. People were staring when we rolled up.

3. Experience
Uber has a review system where passengers can rate drivers and this keeps the experience amazing because Uber kicks off any drivers that are not getting good ratings.

Last edited by e46_Fawaz; 09-08-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
aviator
3rd Gear Member

That's the arguement being used here by the taxi cos. that they are a "dispatch service" and Uber is providing the same service without having to pay the city license fees/taxes and so on. Several drivers who signed up for one of these type services are being refused cabs when they show up for their shifts and or in the case of owner/operators being cut from the dispatch service altogether.

Last edited by aviator; 09-08-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
e46_Fawaz
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
That's the arguement being used here by the taxi cos. that they are a "dispatch service" and Uber is providing the same service without having to pay the city license fees/taxes and so on. Several drivers who signed up for one of these type services are being refused cabs when they show up for their shifts and or in the case of owner/operators being cut from the dispatch service altogether.
The cab industry is run by dinosaurs who don't want the industry to move forward. They will do whatever they can to stop innovation. The industry is made for cab companies, not for customers or drivers...

When the cab industry is disrupted, all these cab companies get together to lobby against the change. That's what's happening right now.

Uber is a lead-generation technology platform for the limousine and taxi industries. The aim is to connect customers of high-quality transportation to the transportation providers closest to them. The technology Uber is providing isn’t covered by the current city of Toronto by-laws.

Uber is a technology provider and this technology isn't covered by current laws in place in Toronto....
Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Not arguing with you on those points Fawaz... where the cab cos. are nailing the drivers is in their contracts it states that driver b agrees to only use company a's dispatch service. This clause is in there to protect the company's client lists and service promise other wise you'd have drivers taking calls from all kinds dispatchers and picking the "best" calls ie ones they can make the most $ on, or discriminating against certain jobs/'hoods by not taking an assigned call [in theory they can still do this and many drivers will refuse certain areas at certain times of day.
It's not so much the company's refusing to innovate rather that they have invested big $ and years of service to develop a reputation/standard/dispatch centres and paid license fees and taxes while the new web based services are essentially offering the same service without paying for the city business license required to offer said service.
The specific technology may not be covered by current laws, however the service is.
Once uber gets a biz license for the service they are providing the only arguement the cab cos. will have is that "exclusive use of" clause in the driver contracts.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
e46_Fawaz
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Not arguing with you on those points Fawaz... where the cab cos. are nailing the drivers is in their contracts it states that driver b agrees to only use company a's dispatch service. This clause is in there to protect the company's client lists and service promise other wise you'd have drivers taking calls from all kinds dispatchers and picking the "best" calls ie ones they can make the most $ on, or discriminating against certain jobs/'hoods by not taking an assigned call [in theory they can still do this and many drivers will refuse certain areas at certain times of day.
It's not so much the company's refusing to innovate rather that they have invested big $ and years of service to develop a reputation/standard/dispatch centres and paid license fees and taxes while the new web based services are essentially offering the same service without paying for the city business license required to offer said service.
The specific technology may not be covered by current laws, however the service is.
Once uber gets a biz license for the service they are providing the only arguement the cab cos. will have is that "exclusive use of" clause in the driver contracts.
Yeah I guess the service is covered. I'm gonna do more research on it. But the tech is not and that's why Uber is winning the court cases
Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
e46_Fawaz
2nd Gear Member

They just extended the promo code until September 23. If you guys still wanna sign up and take advantage of the $15 discount, here's the link: https://www.uber.com/go/fawazto

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: