Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

Question Rust Proofing for new cars

Not too sure what is the best option to go with. The dealer offered coverage through Corromaster (corromaster.com, non-friendly website). It costs $549 plus tax, and is apparantly a one time application with 10 year "warranty".

I don't really like this one time application idea, so I was looking about other options such as Krown, which is around $190 plus tax every year. They also drill holes in the car.

Anyhow, I'm inexperienced in this matter, and I was wondering what have max members been using.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
canuckder
4th Gear Member

we sell rust proofing products to a place called "mint detailing" in mississauga. ive only ever heard good things about them, and its the only other place we (applewood chevy cadillac) send clients to.

I dont exactly know they're pricing, but im sure they could qoute you over the phone.
canuckder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
EuroSpec_92
MPOWER

I am a believer. But i say **** it, rubberized undercoating all the way. But it has to be done on a warm dry day, you dont want to trap any moisture against the underbody.

99 Estoril M3
EuroSpec_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
canuckder
4th Gear Member

^ very true. That way you get to pay attention to certain areas. I do brakes and rubberized every year in vender liners, whatever else i can spray
Old 05-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Don't forget the mandatory annual inspections ($) to keep the warranty valid -

'15 Ford F150 Lariat SCSB 4x4
'04 645cic
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
canuckder
4th Gear Member

i think crown gives some kind of warranty.. if you have a brand new car, and get it sprayed every year threw them. they guarantee it wont rust
Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
fitter527
hates chrome

new cars have some sort of electronic(not sure how else to describe it) rust proofing.apparently it gives the car a positive or negative ionic charge.does anybody know anything about this,because i obviously don't.lol
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Fel
Not Banned

Rust Check!

I keep telling people, they're really good. I don't want to explain it all again but look up their product and how it's different than oil sprays and the like (they use a chemical of some sort I believe).

Plus with new cars like yours, they have their own guarantee... you apply their product once a year and if it ever rusts they'll cover the cost to fix it. I think they charge somewhere around a hundred bucks.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
blk3
5th Gear Member

Krown, with out oil spraying your car you might as well throw it out. eg hondas rust from the inside out. thats why the rear quarters are all rotten. the sealent use in between the two panels absorbs moisture. if you plan to keep the car get the rustproofing done.
blk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk3 View Post
Krown, with out oil spraying your car you might as well throw it out. eg hondas rust from the inside out. thats why the rear quarters are all rotten. the sealent use in between the two panels absorbs moisture. if you plan to keep the car get the rustproofing done.
I noticed that was the same on my e38 sport. Noticed some minor bubbling along the bottom door bead, started to grind it out and noticed it went all the way up the door lock side and right under the bead seal, even though the seal looked good. Had it cleaned up, re-beaded, and oil sprayed each year even though I've been winter storing it for the last five years.

'15 Ford F150 Lariat SCSB 4x4
'04 645cic
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
canuckder
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't leave my trust in a little 12 volts electronic rust moduel. We sell them, and the installers frown upon them. Just because somethings used in the air force/ marine land doesn't mean it'll work for our cars
Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Durham Dodge wants close to 2grand to leather protect and rustproof the vehicle. It has a 10yr warranty and apparently doesn't drill any holes and covers the inside of the hood, sunroof area, quarter panels, the whole nine yards. If your going to be keeping the car seeing how they don't do leases anymore, I would highly recommend the product that the dealer advises you get. They don't refer crappy places to do such things anymore only because it will hurt them in the long run now where they would have to pay for repairs and honor the warranty.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
blk3
5th Gear Member

I dont know about the dealers. i use to know someone who did the rustproofing at the dealer and the manager use to bust his nuts to spray just where you can see it. which tells you what needs protected isnt sprayed. we also had a customer who bought a new honda pilot and had us check the vehicle out and her $450 rust protection was non existant. she went back and got her money back.
blk3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: