Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Question Read this story on B.C police abuse complaints and tell me what you pull from it?

I extrapolate from this that a cop can beat a person in cuffs, pepper spray them, and gets a 5 day Paid vacation, no criminal charges laid. time & time again...

Quote:
1 in 10 B.C. police misconduct cases substantiated: complaints commissioner
VICTORIA -- Of the 960 allegations of misconduct against B.C. municipal police officers reviewed last year, about a tenth were substantiated, says a report by the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner.

The report released Friday shows 97 complaints were upheld, ranging from officers severely beating or sexually assaulting suspects to police accidentally shooting themselves.

In a more unusual case, an officer used a blanket or newspaper in an attempt to cover up a woman who was breastfeeding. The mother complained her personal space and rights were violated. The officer was given advice on proper conduct.

The number of upheld complaints is down slightly from last year. In 2008, there were 989 allegations and 117 substantiated complaints, while the prior year saw the same number of complaints, with 88 substantiated.

"That's been a pretty consistent number for a few years now in B.C.," said Bruce Brown, deputy police complaint commissioner.

What's increasing, said Brown, is the number of minor cases being mediated. Mediation is promoted because it often ensures "both people walk away satisfied," said Brown.

A few of the 97 substantiated complaints involved officers inappropriately searching police computer databases for personal gain, while others stemmed from officers flashing their badges to get preferential treatment at traffic stops.

When a complaint is lodged, the police investigate themselves, but the report is then reviewed by the police complaint commissioner.

Eight of the upheld complaints were filed against Victoria officers, 11 involved Saanich officers and one was against an Oak Bay officer.

Victoria police Sgt. Grant Hamilton said of the eight complaints against the department's officers, four of the investigations were launched internally.

The Victoria complaints involved two high-profile cases. Sgt. George Chong pleaded guilty to assaulting a pedestrian during a road rage incident in 2008. He was given a conditional discharge.

In another case, Victoria police Const. Greg Smith was found by an adjudicator to have used unnecessary force in 2004, when he was booking then-24-year-old Thomas McKay at Victoria jail cells for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct.

The handcuffed McKay twisted Smith's fingers during the booking process, leading Smith to execute a "takedown" where McKay's head struck the concrete floor, fracturing his skull and causing permanent damage. The officer was given a three-day suspension without pay.

In another instance, an officer struck and then pepper-sprayed a prisoner, later failing to provide medical treatment or report the case. That officer was given a five-day suspension without pay.

The provincial Police Complaint Commissioner oversees 11 municipal police departments - about 2,500 officers. It also monitors one aboriginal police department, the Organized Crime Agency of B.C. and the Transit Police Service.

The commissioner does not monitor the province's 6,000 RCMP officers.

When the province's new police act comes into effect in the spring, people will be able to make complaints against police on the Internet.

For more information about complaints against B.C. officers and how they were resolved, go to www.opcc.bc.ca.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/police+...437/story.html
am i wrong?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

wow ^ so quiet i can hear the crickets!

how about this one?
Quote:
Vancouver man injured during mistaken arrest

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Police chief Jim Chu has personally apologized to a 44-year-old man who suffered face injuries after being arrested in a case of mistaken identity.

Yaowei Wu was recovering at his home Thursday night after two plainclothes officers knocked on the wrong door during a domestic assault call early in the day.

The officers were called to a Vancouver house at 2 a.m. a More..fter a woman called 911 to claiming her husband was drunk and had struck her in the back of the head and she was concerned for her baby's safety.

The officers didn't realize there were two suites in the home and the complainant was actually Wu's tenant who lived in a ground-floor suite.

"The cops didn't ask clearly — not even ID me or anything — before they started beating me," Wu said through a translator with the Ming Pao newspaper.

"I think they have an attitude problem."

Wu said that before he could ask who the officers at his door were, he was taken outside and beaten.

"My T-shirt was torn," Wu said. "I was beaten for quite a while before I was handcuffed . . . I felt my hands were all wet . . . they were full of blood."

Police spokeswoman Const. Jana McGuinness said Wu had "resisted by striking out at the police and trying to slam the door, but the officers persisted in the belief that there may be a woman and child inside who could be in danger."

Wu's wife told the officers she was going to call the police at which time the officers identified themselves to her, she claims.

Three more officers arrived later, one of which spoke Cantonese and was able to speak with the couple and explain they had mistaken Wu for another person.

Wu was taken to hospital where he was treated for bruises to his head, waist and knees and fractured bones around his left eye.

Police did return to the house where they spoke to the woman living in a ground-floor suite who alleged her husband had hit her during an argument and then fled. He was located nearby and arrested for assault.

The Vancouver Police's Professional Standards Section will conduct an investigation.

Canwest News Service
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=20b_1264175808
wow, just wow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: