Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
freniv
2nd Gear Member

very low heat in car

Hi,
I have a 95 325i and ever since I bought the thing (when it had 132,000kms) the temperature of the heat from the vents was low. Eventually the water pump busted so I replaced it with a BMW one... yes the new one from BMW has platic blades. This winter the "hot" air is not hot at all and I can't take it any longer. So I pulled the hose out from the heater valve that goes into the heater core and only a trickle (if that) comes out of it. I pulled off the hose that goes into the heater valve(which comes from the rear of the engine block), start the car, car heats up, the needle goes up to the middle like it should and stays there. however, there is no coolant coming out of the hose. Basically this tells me no coolant is coming out of the engine block. Car doesn't overheat.

I'm thinking that mabey my water pump is sorta busted where it doesn't have enough strength to push coolant out.

Any idea's???

How can i test my water pump with out taking it out to see if it's working 100% strong?
freniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
dbworld4k

Heater Valve is messed?

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
freniv
2nd Gear Member

don't think it's the heater valve since no coolant gets to the valves. One of the hoses I pulled (the lower one on the valve) goes from the engine block to the heater valve. Since no coolant flows out of the hose to get to the valve it can't the vavle's fault.
freniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

i remember something in the bentley about 'when changing coolant
turn car to on and heat to full to cylce coolant out of the core'

I know thats no help at all bump
Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Gemini
1st Gear Newbie

Same problem

Hey

I drive a 1994 318IS and I am having the same probleme. If I am stuck in traffic and the heat is off the coolant gauge will go to the middle point where it is supose to be but if I start the heat the neddle goes back down to about a quarter and the heat comming from the vents goes gradualy cooler.

I figured that it might be that my thermostat is stuck on the "open" and does not close, that would make the coolant circulate all the time so the heater core does not have the time to warm-up and would cause that probleme

Let me know wath you think

Gemini
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
bmdbley'sBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
Hey

I drive a 1994 318IS and I am having the same probleme. If I am stuck in traffic and the heat is off the coolant gauge will go to the middle point where it is supose to be but if I start the heat the neddle goes back down to about a quarter and the heat comming from the vents goes gradualy cooler.

I figured that it might be that my thermostat is stuck on the "open" and does not close, that would make the coolant circulate all the time so the heater core does not have the time to warm-up and would cause that probleme

Gemini
does your fan come on?? but makes sense...

my Fan is dead resistor read ok power to fan (striker tested for me, thanks!)
but there was some coolant around my core
and bfluid on my b.pedal
Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
Hey

Gemini

Hey Gemini,

Welcome to max, don't forget to check out the Ottawa Gatineau forum under the meets section. Top karting this friday.

Anyway back on topic, I had that problem on another car, and it turned out to be my head gasket. But start with your T-stat, get one at Napa or BMW. I've never had good luck with the Canadian tire ones. and don't mind bmdbley'sBro he's from Aylmer, that's why nobody understands him ..

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
jeffrie
Addict

Gemini
It is your T-stat.
Not sure oabout the M42 such as your car but on my M44 the t-stat is a dealer only part, so crappy tire & NAPA wouldn't have it. Good part is it's one of them dealer parts that arn't expensive, think I paid around $20 bucks for mine if I remember right.

OP
To translate Bmdbleybro post about bleeding the system.
Most likly he's correct & your car wasn't properly bleed and you have an air lock in your heater core.
Try draining all the coolant and replace and bleed properly.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 11-07-2007 at 03:33 PM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
bmdbley'sBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is View Post
bmdbley'sBro he's from Aylmer, that's why nobody understands him ..

tis true!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: