Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-22-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Angry Need new rear trailings arms for cheap

Hey guy,

Went to my mechanic yesterday and he quote me $580 each trailing arm and obviously I need 2 of them and that price included the core charge. Anyone out the get them for cheap. can afford that cash right now. Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Can anyone please help me out here.

thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 07:08 PM   #3
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Why on Earth do you need trailing arms for a 96 bimmer???!?!?!?

What's wrong with the ones you have now?

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by greekthang
Can anyone please help me out here.

thanks

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:13 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Why on Earth do you need trailing arms for a 96 bimmer???!?!?!?

What's wrong with the ones you have now?
Yeah, they're not exactly a wear item, are they both bent?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It’s habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I’m Nelson, and I’m a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #5
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Hey guys

Its not that they are bent and I know they are not a wear item but I am getting this thud noise from the rear end still. I changed my cv joints and that took care of some of the problem but it the thud noise is still there after I let of the accelerator to shift (anything above 4000rpm). I went to my mechanice and when the driveshaft rotates a bit the rear trainling arms are suppose to move at the same time. Well the trailing arms don't move at the same time. there is alot of play. My mechanic told me that the trailing arms have a compress hard plastic and like any plastic it wears done. It has been doing this thud noise for quite a while now but just recently its getting bad. Thats why I need to replace them. They also looked at the rear subframes and they are fine.

Please help guys
Old 10-24-2003, 03:27 PM   #6
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Are you saying the trailing arm bushings are worn out? If they are then you can just replace those.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by R_JAY
Are you saying the trailing arm bushings are worn out? If they are then you can just replace those.
I don't know anymore now. this is what my mechanic told me and now I am confused. Shit
Old 10-24-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

I would say replace the trailing arm bushings cause they are known to wear out alot on the E36. Charlie did mine in the summer and it wasn't expensive at all.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by R_JAY
I would say replace the trailing arm bushings cause they are known to wear out alot on the E36. Charlie did mine in the summer and it wasn't expensive at all.
I don't know what to believe. My mechanic told me that the trailing arms are loose and she showed me by trying to rotate the trainling arm and you could see the amount of play. Maybe its the bushings. Shit now I am confused. Any experts out there that can shed some light on this not that I don't appreaciate the help R_JAY. Before you changed the bushings did u hear a thud noise like that coming from your rear end ??
Old 10-24-2003, 07:04 PM   #10
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

If I were you, I'd go to a different mechanic for a second opinion, since your mechanic doesn't seem to be very competent when it comes to bimmers.

On a side note, I know it's too late already but CV joints don't usually produce a "thud" like noise when they go bad. They tend to loudly "click", and usually only when you step on the gas pedal. Also with bimmers they fail very rarely.

It's probably either:

1) Differential carrier bushings
2) Sub frame carrier bushings
3) Trailing arm bushings

All of the bushings above can be replaced.

SL

Quote:
I don't know what to believe. My mechanic told me that the trailing arms are loose and she showed me by trying to rotate the trainling arm and you could see the amount of play. Maybe its the bushings. Shit now I am confused. Any experts out there that can shed some light on this not that I don't appreaciate the help R_JAY. Before you changed the bushings did u hear a thud noise like that coming from your rear end ??

Last edited by KIRASIR; 10-24-2003 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:07 PM   #11
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Also it could be something as simple as a loose muffler hanger .

SL
Old 10-24-2003, 07:31 PM   #12
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
If I were you, I'd go to a different mechanic for a second opinion, since your mechanic doesn't seem to be very competent when it comes to bimmers.

On a side note, I know it's too late already but CV joints don't usually produce a "thud" like noise when they go bad. They tend to loudly "click", and usually only when you step on the gas pedal. Also with bimmers they fail very rarely.

It's probably either:

1) Differential carrier bushings
2) Sub frame carrier bushings
3) Trailing arm bushings

All of the bushings above can be replaced.

SL
Subframe he check and said they where o.k. its either 1 or 3 but there is no chance that the entire trainling arm is done for ??
definately no a loose exhaust hander though. already replaced both before. This is a thud noise as soon as i let off the accelerator to shift for that split second

Last edited by greekthang; 10-24-2003 at 07:34 PM.
greekthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:04 PM   #13
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
but there is no chance that the entire trainling arm is done for ??
The trailing arm is held there by bushings, the main one on the front, the lower rear which attaches to the camber aduster, and the upper rear one that attaches to the arm that the spring is on.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It’s habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I’m Nelson, and I’m a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 06:05 AM   #14
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
The trailing arm is held there by bushings, the main one on the front, the lower rear which attaches to the camber aduster, and the upper rear one that attaches to the arm that the spring is on.
Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. See one side of the arms is attached to the diff and the other to the wheel to make them spin
Old 10-25-2003, 08:18 PM   #15
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

What you are talking about it called a half-shaft. There are two CV joints per half-shaft and 4 in total. The only thing that can make noise is a CV joint when it develops a play but as I said earlier CV joints tend to loudly "click" and not "thud". Take your car to Charlie(Bimmersport) for a second opinion.

SL

Quote:
Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. See one side of the arms is attached to the diff and the other to the wheel to make them spin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: