Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Customs agents can be real assholes.. (duh)

I went over to Niagara Falls, NY today to pick up a new drive shaft and half way there I realized that I forgot my receipt (email i got from the website that sold me the part). I didn't go back, so I picked up the part and when they asked me what's the value I said $380

The total I paid was $389, that's with UPS overnight shipping, and I'll also get $75 back when I return the core.

I got my yellow slip and went to the customs building. Some asshole worked and as soon as I said I don't have the receipt he started giving me a lesson how I must have it, how I should've known etc. and how now the federal government will seize my car. He went to the back to check the price for that part (I gave him phone number of the company I got the part from to call but he said he won't do it). Then he came back saying my car won't be seized if I admit how much I paid for it.

I told him again it was $380, and that I'm aware same part costs $1030+TAX at BMW dealer but it takes a week to get it so I went to get it in the states for both reasons.

Finally another customs officer came, told me that next time I should have a receipt, and that she found one company that lists same part at $290 and joked how I should return this one and get it from there

I just paid the duty/tax (about $45) and that was it..

Yeah, this was a rant..I never had issues with customs but this was some young guy who probably didn't get accepted into OPP/RCMP
Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

ya, its easy to say that, but from what ive seen in my life time there are 2 employees:

1 who follows the rules
1 who doesn't give a shit

its easy to say hes being an asshole but what if the other day he was getting diciplined about how he let some asshole into the country with a new car, and messed up the tax reports or something stupid like that. managers/supervisors, can be real deuche bags sometimes, also they have mysery shoppers/crossers that report their names, and if he followed the code of conduct properly.. and trust me man u slip up and u wont hear the end of it.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
ya, its easy to say that, but from what ive seen in my life time there are 2 employees:

1 who follows the rules
1 who doesn't give a shit

its easy to say hes being an asshole but what if the other day he was getting diciplined about how he let some asshole into the country with a new car, and messed up the tax reports or something stupid like that. managers/supervisors, can be real deuche bags sometimes, also they have mysery shoppers/crossers that report their names, and if he followed the code of conduct properly.. and trust me man u slip up and u wont hear the end of it.
I don't know what was his problem, but I go to the states often and I'd say that 9 out of 10 customs officers are decent and do their job right. I have no problem with them saying they want to check my car, or double check pricing of things I buy, but if they start to make threats and treat me like they just found out I was smuggling drugs/firearms then I have a problem with that.

Yes their job is stressful, they deal with all kind of people, but they chose that job.

That second officer that came to help me was very professional and friendly, she checked the price, called the 1-800 number, I paid my tax/duty and that was it. The first guy yelled that he's going for lunch right after O started talking to the second officer so maybe he was late for that..although missing a mean would've been beneficial to his health.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: