Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
watut
2nd Gear Member

Starting an e30 thats been sitting

I recently picked up an '85 325e that has been sitting (in a garage) for the past 12 years. Previous owner says it was running good when parked, he moved out of the country and no one was around to drive it. What can I do to make the first start as smooth as possibly?

New battery
change oil ?
take out each spark plug and pour a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder
I am not sure how much fuel is in it, can I dump some fresh premium gasoline in the tank and mix with the old stuff? or drain out the old stuff first?

Any other suggestions?
watut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Definitely drain the fuel, not a bad idea to disconnect and drain the lines and fuel filter too. Oil change will be difficult with 12-year-old oil. I suggest turning the engine over a couple of times by hand first to let the oil back into all the passages, and make sure nothing's seized.

Have an extinguisher ready as the fuel lines in the engine bay are likely dried out and cracked and might leak fuel. Ditto for vacuum hoses.

Make sure you record it!

Longer term, most of the rubber parts will need replacing, full cooling system overhaul too.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I just took my 318is out of storage and here's what I did.

I changed fluids in the engine (filter too of course), transmission, differential, and cooling system. Make sure you can open your transmission/differential fill plug BEFORE draining the fluid or you won't be able to fill it back up.

Definitely drain your fuel tank. You can get a cheap pump that you can use to syphon the gas out. I did it from under the back seat through the hole where the fuel pump is located. Use some higher octane fuel to mix with whatever bad gas is left in there.

I bought a new fuel filter but didn't change it until after running the engine for a while to filter anything that may be left in the fuel lines. It would be a good idea to drain the lines as TSI mentioned.

I removed my spark plugs and sprayed some fogging oil in each cylinder before replacing them.

You should hand crank your engine before starting it to make sure it isn't seized as well.

My car doesn't have a timing belt but I'd check yours for cracks and maybe replace it to be safe.

I'm leaving out anything to do with tires, brakes, etc since I'm assuming you'll be going over those things before driving a car that's been sitting for 12 years.

Hope that helps!
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

The very first thing I would do is inspect the timing belt and most probably replace it. Check for cracks as being 12 years old there is is good chance it's dried out. All the other stuff is secondary. If you try to start it and anything is siezed you may stress the belt and if that snaps you're in for a whole lot more problems and little will it matter about the other things...After that is checked and replaced dump the fuel and replace it. if there isn't much in the tank you can try to throw some octane boost into the tank as well as get a can of fresh ultra 94 fuel to mix it up. oil in the combustion chamber and cranking the engine by hand is ok for the belt. But make the belt your priority.

Follow the rest that is listed above by the others. :-)

I think I've had 18 bmw's in 6 years.

1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.
latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
KEEPER 88 5sp Vert 2016
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
E36is
'OldSchool..'

do they still stock eta parts? i would consider that first and see if your wallet can afford the NLA replacements.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

there are parts places that can order you aftermarket parts and since these cars are so old most things are relatively cheap.

I think I've had 18 bmw's in 6 years.

1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.
latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
KEEPER 88 5sp Vert 2016
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: