Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
3seriess
1st Gear Newbie

Exclamation First Car Descision... (5 Series,Lexus GS)

Not sure if anyone remembers but I was on here awhile back beyond confused with what I'm going to get for my first car. I was debating 3 series, x5, infinti g35 (Have no interest in them anymore there too hyper) or lexus gs. but ive narrowed it down now and I will be purchasing a vehicle hopefully by November (that's IF I do well in school lol) I was given a budget of $3000 by my mom but I'm sure I can always find a $4000 car and negotiate it down a bit to maybe the mid 3000's or lower. So with that budget in consideration I found many many 1998-2002 Bmw 5 Series in the g.t.a. I'm also still interested in the 1998-2003 Lexus GS but there a bit harder to find and a little further out my price range and the interior seems to throw me off a bit. So I basically narrowed it down between the two. My Only issues with the bmw is that it hasn't aged very well (they all look old) and I worry that it wont be reliable. The lexus on the other hand aged very well and doesn't look old if in good condition. But while reliable the Lexus seems kinda dull inside and probably isn't as cool to have as a bmw.. my mom also said the rear of the GS looks like an anime character so i cant get that out my head now lol... So if in my shoes which would you choose. heres a few bmws and lexus I liked. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/k...ationFlag=true http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true
3seriess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I don't think any car with 300k can be referred to as reliable.
Just like in the other thread, you are reaching beyond your means.

$3000 isn't a luxury car budget, and its barely enough for a decent econo-box.
You will quickly spend close to your full purchase price over again in maintenance costs, during the first year or so.

You need to realize that things like wide low profile tires, automatic transmissions, and all the electronics / sensors in cars like these get very expensive. That doesn't even begin to address suspension, brakes, fluid changes, and any other wear & tear components.

There's a great saying I hope you will pass along to your mother:
"There is nothing more expensive than owning a cheap luxury car"

Either increase that budget, or start looking at something more practical.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
3seriess
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I don't think any car with 300k can be referred to as reliable.
Just like in the other thread, you are reaching beyond your means.

$3000 isn't a luxury car budget, and its barely enough for a decent econo-box.
You will quickly spend close to your full purchase price over again in maintenance costs, during the first year or so.

You need to realize that things like wide low profile tires, automatic transmissions, and all the electronics / sensors in cars like these get very expensive. That doesn't even begin to address suspension, brakes, fluid changes, and any other wear & tear components.

There's a great saying I hope you will pass along to your mother:
"There is nothing more expensive than owning a cheap luxury car"

Either increase that budget, or start looking at something more practical.
Maybe you failed to read where I mentioned my budget was $4000 and was hoping to negotiate it down a bit, also Lexus/Toyotas in my area go up to 1 million kms and a lot of the older ones ive seen average around 400-500 thousand kms. Which is why I have no issue looking at a higher mileage lexus as they are known to last 3 times longer than a bmw.. Yes I understand I will end up paying some money in some cases with maintenance but that's not always the case. Years back my mom bought a piece of shit G35 Sedan with high mileage for its age from a shady dealership she put around 1000 in maintenance and after that it ran fine and now that car has been passed on with 260,000 kms to someone else. If I end up with a 3 series or 5 series I do expect to have to pay around 2000 to get it in good condition at the most, and really 3000 not enough for a decent econo box? that's a joke makes me question how much you know about the used car market.. I wont be heart broken if I don't end up with a bmw anyway lol the GS300 is my first choice if I can find a good one. BMW is more of a backup plan...
Old 08-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Dinanstu
4th Gear Member

You have to negotiate the price down a bit! There's no room for taxes, licensing or maintenance! You're assuming these cars will have the safety inspection done as well?

Nobody is failing to read your post, it just seems a little dreamy with Mom buying the car and maintenance just happens!

Good luck either way
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3seriess View Post
Maybe you failed to read where I mentioned my budget was $4000 and was hoping to negotiate it down a bit, also Lexus/Toyotas in my area go up to 1 million kms and a lot of the older ones ive seen average around 400-500 thousand kms. Which is why I have no issue looking at a higher mileage lexus as they are known to last 3 times longer than a bmw.. Yes I understand I will end up paying some money in some cases with maintenance but that's not always the case. Years back my mom bought a piece of shit G35 Sedan with high mileage for its age from a shady dealership she put around 1000 in maintenance and after that it ran fine and now that car has been passed on with 260,000 kms to someone else. If I end up with a 3 series or 5 series I do expect to have to pay around 2000 to get it in good condition at the most, and really 3000 not enough for a decent econo box? that's a joke makes me question how much you know about the used car market.. I wont be heart broken if I don't end up with a bmw anyway lol the GS300 is my first choice if I can find a good one. BMW is more of a backup plan...
Maybe you failed to read that the upfront purchase price of a vehicle, isn't but maybe half of the picture. Everyone in your last thread told you the same thing. And the funniest part was that after everyone discouraged you off the E46, you were considering an X5. LOL

Your ignorance is astounding if you think these unicorn high mileage cars are still operating without maintenance. Just another baller on a budget kid that will then will turn to mommy's credit card when some major shit breaks. (and it will)

My cheapest car was $1200, and it sold for $4800 six months later after a lot of work.
I've had 7 cars in the past 4 years + fixed more than you can count. Try again kid.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
3seriess
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinanstu View Post
You have to negotiate the price down a bit! There's no room for taxes, licensing or maintenance! You're assuming these cars will have the safety inspection done as well?

Nobody is failing to read your post, it just seems a little dreamy with Mom buying the car and maintenance just happens!

Good luck either way
You have to pay taxes when buying private? last time I checked you don't have too. Licensing isn't expensive lol and yes I already know money will be needed for maintenance. whose assuming? ive looked myself and some people are selling there cars with safety and emissions and as mentioned before I expect to put some money into the car for repairs. But thanks!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
3seriess
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Maybe you failed to read that the upfront purchase price of a vehicle, isn't but maybe half of the picture. Everyone in your last thread told you the same thing. And the funniest part was that after everyone discouraged you off the E46, you were considering an X5. LOL

Your ignorance is astounding if you think these unicorn high mileage cars are still operating without maintenance. Just another baller on a budget kid that will then will turn to mommy's credit card when some major shit breaks. (and it will)

My cheapest car was $1200, and it sold for $4800 six months later after a lot of work.
I've had 7 cars in the past 4 years + fixed more than you can count. Try again kid.
I don't care lol I said what I said I can spend 4000 at the most and also am aware id have to put extra money to get the car in good condition in SOME cases. Also when my mom sold her 03 g35 sedan with 260,000 kms she sold it for 2000 and it needed nothing to work except some CHEAP cosmetic fixes so I cant take you serious when your making it seem like nobody can get a decent car for under 4000, and again you clearly have NO knowledge as to how long lexus and Toyota products last with minimal maintenance.. you also sound very bitter and that's too bad, how am i a baller on a budget when your driving a e46? I'm assuming your a grown man too since your calling me kid so really you have no say when your a grown man still driving a car that old. Not that theres anything wrong with "balling on a budget" but your nobody to be labeling anyone else a "baller on a budget" when that's exactly what ur doing...
Old 08-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
3seriess
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:

wow i went to check which one you have and you have an 01 325i? really? wow a car that can be purchased for under 2500.. not sure if i can call that balling to be honest so maybe we aren't doing the same thing lol
Old 08-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Hey, I'm not the one with a $3000 budget looking at BMWs, that's you. That's the "baller on a budget" move.

My daily driver was purchased 7 years ago, while you were still wetting the bed & watching sailor moon.. So it's not really a fair comparison.

Lets see how your dumpster fire 3k bimmer looks in 7 years, deal?

And who said it's my only car? LOL.
Don't get butthurt because pretty much everyone is telling you the same thing here.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
dbworld4k

Best. Thread. Ever!

I think the irony of OP bashing another member's financial status while mommadukes buys him a $4k beater is hilarious.

And FYI unless the last time you checked was in 2010, all cars in Ontario are subject to 13% sales tax irrespective of where it's purchased.

Good luck with your search.

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
3seriess
1st Gear Newbie

Talking

Quote:
Hey, I'm not the one with a $3000 budget looking at BMWs, that's you. That's the "baller on a budget" move.

My daily driver was purchased 7 years ago, while you were still wetting the bed & watching sailor moon.. So it's not really a fair comparison.

Lets see how your dumpster fire 3k bimmer looks in 7 years, deal?

And who said it's my only car? LOL.
Don't get butthurt because pretty much everyone is telling you the same thing here.
*4000 wow must have some terrible vision lol.. and your probably stuck with the nearly base model 3 series because your still making payments to the bank. And that's funny because I wont be the one stuck with a car for 7 years id be happy to be with a 5 series or Lexus GS for 2/3 years especially considering I'm 16 and your a grown man.. and whose everyone? speak for urself old timer quite a few people who weren't so bitter and negative actually offered some good advice and didn't tell me NOT to do it and that I was "balling on a budget" they were cool about it telling me what to expect meanwhile you sound envious that a 16 year old might end up with the same if not a better car than yours, maintenance isn't much of an issue for me so I could pick up a nice 02 GS300 or an 02 5series for under 4000 and wouldn't mind spending however much to get it in working condition if necessary. at the end of the day your still driving an 01 325i and arguing with a 16 yr old so not sure why your mad at ME?
Old 08-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #12
3seriess
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Best. Thread. Ever!

I think the irony of OP bashing another member's financial status while mommadukes buys him a $4k beater is hilarious.

And FYI unless the last time you checked was in 2010, all cars in Ontario are subject to 13% sales tax irrespective of where it's purchased.

Good luck with your search.
I didn't bash his financial status, I don't think I'm rich at all and 4000 isn't bad at all for a 16 yr old. unless ur car was financed (which makes it the BANKS car until u paid it off) I doubt you paid anymore then 5000 for your first car. and in terms of tax I'm well aware as to how that works but ive seen in many cases people are able to transfer the car with a private sale without applying tax. But thanks anyways...
Old 08-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #13
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Making payments to the bank? LOL, the bank pays me son. Love me some of those TFSA GICs.
Google it up and maybe in a year you'll have enough to afford a car that will make it through a day cruise.. or at least you'll afford the CAA membership.

To put things into perspective, I sold my M3 last year because I was tired of always having to valet my driveway.
Your whole car budget is almost what I spent for preventive maintenance; it's laughable, it's a weekend trip.

I paid around 10k for my first E46, nearly 7 years ago. It can still fetch around half that on the used car market today.
You'd drool over the idea of owning my daily driver / winter beater.
But you can't afford it, and I'd be stupid to sell such a great all rounder so cheap, to a baller on a budget who will fill it up with 87 and put URO parts on it.

PM me your details. We can meet up, but bring your mom since otherwise it'll be weird. I'd love to get in touch with you guys and share some stories. Plus, any lady that drives a $2000 dollar Infiniti G-series sounds like a classy lady.

Max never gets these types of threads anymore, I love being part of this nostalgia. LOL
Old 08-13-2016, 03:31 AM   #14
3seriess
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Making payments to the bank? LOL, the bank pays me son. Love me some of those TFSA GICs.
Google it up and maybe in a year you'll have enough to afford a car that will make it through a day cruise.. or at least you'll afford the CAA membership.

To put things into perspective, I sold my M3 last year because I was tired of always having to valet my driveway.
Your whole car budget is almost what I spent for preventive maintenance; it's laughable, it's a weekend trip.

I paid around 10k for my first E46, nearly 7 years ago. It can still fetch around half that on the used car market today.
You'd drool over the idea of owning my daily driver / winter beater.
But you can't afford it, and I'd be stupid to sell such a great all rounder so cheap, to a baller on a budget who will fill it up with 87 and put URO parts on it.

PM me your details. We can meet up, but bring your mom since otherwise it'll be weird. I'd love to get in touch with you guys and share some stories. Plus, any lady that drives a $2000 dollar Infiniti G-series sounds like a classy lady.

Max never gets these types of threads anymore, I love being part of this nostalgia. LOL
The Bank Pays You...? yet u drive in a 15 year old car.. LOL okay. be real u sold it because u couldnt afford it & that cheap $2500 worth 3 series u got is the last thing of bmw you can hold onto. Dont worry i get it. & again ur comparing the $4000 budget to what you A GROWN man had to pay for his old ass m3's maintenace. Your really making urself look so pathetic here but its fun to watch! be real your cheap 3 series can be picked up by any 16 yr old for 2500 believe me i have no plans to step into a 3 series lol. But again seems like you cant read.. must be the old age huh? 1: My mom bought her 1st 03 G35 for $6000 then sold it later for $2000.. Process that in your head i know it may take some time. u ready? okay 2: If a car represents how classy one is then what does that make you as a grown man driving a car like that? ghetto? sure! 3: My mom drives an 07 Infiniti G35x with low mileage and paid 15,000 for it in cash. So please lets not talk class, u will just embarass yourself. This was never about whose doing better than you until YOU, a GROWN ass man thought it would be fun to pick a fight online with a 16 yr old looking for suggestions. & of course u had to bring my mom into this lol. Your So Cool! *I said sarcastically* lmao u made a fool of yourself arguing with a kid & trying to bring up his MOM... really? 😂😂
Old 08-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

16 year old car actually, it was built in year 2000

Rest of that block you wrote is TL;DR.
All I see is "butthurt, infiniti g35, butthurt, $3000, single mom, how to baller on a budget"

It's been fun, class of 2016.

Tags
bmw 5 series, first car, lexus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: