Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
It's classless satire, and not funny. We made fun of Bush, and certain things about the U.S., just like they made about us and our igloos, polar bears, jean poutine etc... Which can be funny at times. But never have I heard a main stream Canadian news broadcaster belittle or demean the deaths of American soldiers in the way this did towards the sacrifice that Canadian soldiers and families have made in Afghanistan. Especially considering we are there to support the U.S because of their losses on Sept 11th. How do you think they would react if we belittled their losses from that date?

How do you think the families of the 116 soldiers that have been killed in Afghanistan feel when they hear that tool say something like "Who even knew Canada was in Afghanistan". "Not like they do anything anyway"

I hate political correctness B.S as much as the next person, but there are certain things that are just crossing the line.

^^ agreed

for anyone who doesnt see that the show is degrading, and does nothing but put down the men and women who are fighting and risking their lives.....dont voice your opinion.

the men and women of the CF are doing everyone a big favour by risking themselves for you, who they dont even know. you should be thankful that there are people who do this for you on a daily basis. Yet you would probably not do the same for them.

the members of the CF and the USF just want a little respect in return for what they are doing, whether you believe in what they are doing or not. the fact remains that they may not support what they are fighting for, but they support their country and the people who reside in their country.

have some respect for the CF members who you dont give a damn about. its the least you can do since you wouldnt sacrafice yourself for them. if you do give a damn about the CF men and women.....show them by remembering them for what they did. dont disgrace them by agree with dumbass pricks who dont know shit about our military.

^^^IMO

flickr

Last edited by craigIS; 03-24-2009 at 09:27 AM.
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
From what I heard, they did not insult our soldiers. They insulted our system of not having a large army and relying on their country. Wasn't a direct insult to our soldiers, but the government and the organization itself.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
From what I heard, they did not insult our soldiers. They insulted our system of not having a large army and relying on their country. Wasn't a direct insult to our soldiers, but the government and the organization itself.
that's exactly it. It was funny satire and while not in the best timing, it was a fair joke. Us Canadians are mouthpieces who mock the US 24/7 but don't like to get it back.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
someguy
Singhy

the way i see it, it was inappropriate. Nonetheless, they are just a bunch of yanks that cant find anything better to do on their show, so they bully around Canada.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire291 View Post
^^ agreed

for anyone who doesnt see that the show is degrading, and does nothing but put down the men and women who are fighting and risking their lives.....dont voice your opinion.

the men and women of the CF are doing everyone a big favour by risking themselves for you, who they dont even know. you should be thankful that there are people who do this for you on a daily basis. Yet you would probably not do the same for them.

the members of the CF and the USF just want a little respect in return for what they are doing, whether you believe in what they are doing or not. the fact remains that they may not support what they are fighting for, but they support their country and the people who reside in their country.

have some respect for the CF members who you dont give a damn about. its the least you can do since you wouldnt sacrafice yourself for them. if you do give a damn about the CF men and women.....show them by remembering them for what they did. dont disgrace them by agree with dumbass pricks who dont know shit about our military.

^^^IMO

dont make stupid assumptions.

The show is a joke. Its called satire and sarcasm for a reason. Everyone knows what Canadian soldiers are doing and how hard they are working.

Really, lets take a show seriously when they say things "Nows a good time to invade Canada!!" Ya, lets worry about what a comedian has to say about us OH snap.

If youre offended by what he has to say, dont watch it. That freedom of speech is what people are fightng and dieing for. Id rather people be able to say whatever they want, then have the government control it.... Then youll be bitching about the propaganda youre hearing.

Last edited by sirex; 03-24-2009 at 03:23 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #21
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
dont make stupid assumptions.

The show is a joke. Its called satire and sarcasm for a reason. Everyone knows what Canadian soldiers are doing and how hard they are working.

Really, lets take a show seriously when they say things "Nows a good time to invade Canada!!" Ya, lets worry about what a comedian has to say about us OH snap.

If youre offended by what he has to say, dont watch it. That freedom of speech is what people are fightng and dieing for. Id rather people be able to say whatever they want, then have the government control it.... Then youll be bitching about the propaganda youre hearing.
Amen. I completely agree!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #22
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Canada sticks their nose in too many things. Remember back in 1999, Nato bombed Serbia that Canada took part as well. Why do this to inocent people when they could had gone to arrest the guy they were looking for?......

Now when Serbia is up to renew their fleet for the national air carrier, they will buy EMB from Brazilian Embarier. No Canadain CRJ Bombardier junk. No domestic cars as well, only Japanese.

Last edited by lvan; 03-24-2009 at 04:50 PM.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire291 View Post
^^ agreed

^^^IMO
I hate the stupid bullshit about supporting and respecting them. Afghanistan did not invade Canada, therefore, they are not fighting for Canada, and not supporting the country or the people like you just said. It's pure BS.

No one invaded Canada, stay home and go to work. If you wanna go and play with guns in the desert then it's your choice but don't expect respect little boy.

BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #24
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

For ****'s sake people ... it was a comedy program. How many times has the Air Farce or 22 minutes, or Rick Mercer made fun of people, politicians, cripples, the US and any other number of "to be respected" groups/individuals. I can't believe this shit was on the National and on the cover of newspapers. ****ing slow news day or what?

Btw, I totally agree with BMW_7. If they were fighting to protect me or my country instead of participating in some political bullshit (this is obviously not the gunt's choice, but whatever), maybe I'd show some more respect.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #25
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
I hate the stupid bullshit about supporting and respecting them. Afghanistan did not invade Canada, therefore, they are not fighting for Canada, and not supporting the country or the people like you just said. It's pure BS.

No one invaded Canada, stay home and go to work. If you wanna go and play with guns in the desert then it's your choice but don't expect respect little boy.
That's the most ignorant comment I think I have ever heard.

Whether you agree with the mission or not has nothing to do with the Troops. They go where the politicians tell them to go. The sacrifices the Canadian military have made for this country are more than you or most people will ever achieve in your entire life.

They deserve our complete and utmost respect and support.

On top of that, to say Afghanistan is innocent is just plain wrong. Just because they didn't invade doesn't mean they didn't attack. The Japanese didn't invade the U.S. either when they attacked Pearl Harbor. Does that make them innocent too?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
Blades
Your opinion is to long

TNation is so pro American (I would believe is might have been at one point). That his ego and understanding blindly takes out any other equation .. I would call that stubbornness but it seems more of an American type of character then anything else.

RedEye might be comedy but there distasteful and racist. Things that they put on the air shouldn't even be there but thats the way of Fox doing things (mad tv, in living color,etc are no different) but this shows timing and subject came at a very bad time and should not have even aired. Red-eye (just like the name of the show) is just there to stir the pot and anger people which is stupid and something I would expect from a country like America. No wonder people hate Americans .. I usually get a dirty look from people of other countries till I tell them I'm Canadian.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
That's the most ignorant comment I think I have ever heard.

Whether you agree with the mission or not has nothing to do with the Troops. They go where the politicians tell them to go. The sacrifices the Canadian military have made for this country are more than you or most people will ever achieve in your entire life.

They deserve our complete and utmost respect and support.

On top of that, to say Afghanistan is innocent is just plain wrong. Just because they didn't invade doesn't mean they didn't attack. The Japanese didn't invade the U.S. either when they attacked Pearl Harbor. Does that make them innocent too?
True I actually believe Japanese didn't invade the US. Well actually Americans provoked Japanese to bomb Pearl Harbor, while at the same time supplying Nazis war money, beacue Americans are just war profiteers, just as they are now. But that's beside the point.

Well we can argue forever, but in the end when you look at the hard facts Canadian army never did anything for Canada.. I can argue that it's useless for the safety of Canadians. We actually only needed the army during oh, 1812 when we had the war with Americans & British, and Canada actually had to defend its own soil. Maybe a bit before that with some French/English quarreling. Oh yea, and during 1995 when our army helped clear out the snow.

Boer War, WWII, Kosovo, peacekeeping, whatever. It is all giant circlejerking and mddling in other people's business. Maybe the outcomes of the wars would be different if we didn't participate, but it doesn't change that fact that they do NOTHING for Canada except suck tens of billions dollars of government money every year and perhaps, put some deadbeats to use, and....boosting Canada's worldwide image. Hey it's all good, I'm not complaining.

BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #28
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
TNation is so pro American (I would believe is might have been at one point). That his ego and understanding blindly takes out any other equation .. I would call that stubbornness but it seems more of an American type of character then anything else.

RedEye might be comedy but there distasteful and racist. Things that they put on the air shouldn't even be there but thats the way of Fox doing things (mad tv, in living color,etc are no different) but this shows timing and subject came at a very bad time and should not have even aired. Red-eye (just like the name of the show) is just there to stir the pot and anger people which is stupid and something I would expect from a country like America. No wonder people hate Americans .. I usually get a dirty look from people of other countries till I tell them I'm Canadian.
I'm not more pro-American than anyone else, I realize that America is one of the world's only superpowers and has a large impact on our lives. Something IMO you don't realize, and just because some funny satire offends some Canadians, I'm not going to join the Canadian American-bashing. Sorry, but I have mor respect for them. And how's the Mercer Report any different than Red Eye? I'm glad we live in a country where we can say anything we like, and mock anyone we like, we have freedom of speech, and I'm glad those Americans are able to mock us selfish and identity-less, multicultural melting pot BS, Canadians. It's a free country, and while I may not agree with what you're saying, I believe in your right to say it. We give it out, we need to be able to take it.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #29
sirex
King Sirex

So then are we of the belief that "Freedom of Speech" should have its limits?

Maybe we should impose other limits to speech too? I got an idea how bout if you speak out against the government you get sent to the goulags.. How about if you speak out against anyone or anything you get sent to the killing fields?

Sounds fair to me.. I mean clearly, freedom of speech needs limitations and restrictions. And who better to control freedoms other then the government AKA big brother?

I for one open my arms wide and accept our new big brother over lords. And in a few years from now, the only thing you'll see on TV are shows promoting our troops raping and pileaging any remote desert town because God said it was alright. Shows broadcasting 24/7 how great our president is, etc, etc.

Last edited by sirex; 03-25-2009 at 09:13 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: