Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name

Welcome to!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
wouldu like some tinfoil?
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,670
Grandmother “Good Samaritan” beaten left with “catastrophic injuries” by OPP

a tim hortons employee still in uniform ran to the aid of a woman being beaten, moments later the tims employee is beaten by the responding officer.

ORILLIA - A 49-year-old-grandmother who was acting as a “Good Samaritan” was karate-kicked, sucker-punched, beaten and left with “catastrophic injuries” by a police officer, a judge said Tuesday.

It has been two long years since Maria “Tonie” Farrell was charged with assaulting a police officer in an incident that has left her crippled from a shattered knee.

But in his ruling, Justice George Beatty exonerated — and validated — Farrell when he found that it was OPP Sgt. Russ Watson who attacked her while on duty April 2, 2011.

Outside of court, Farrell — still in pain — wept and embraced her lawyer.

“This is the best Christmas present ever,” she said. “I’ve been going through hell ... but I knew the truth would prevail.”

Her defence lawyer, Angela McLeod, wept with her. “The greatest injustice was righted today,” McLeod said.

During the on-and-off trial that dragged out over a year, court heard Farrell, an employee at Tim Hortons, was still in her uniform after work when she heard a woman screaming.

She ran behind a Mac’s convenience store in time to see a woman being punched in the face by a male who ran off. Farrell rushed to the woman’s assistance and when Watson arrived alone on the scene she tried to point out the direction of the assailant.

But she said the officer was aggressive and told her to “shut the f--- up.”

“Mrs. Farrell was acting as Good Samaritan who went to the assistance of a woman who was being assaulted,” the judge said. “She had no criminal record and wanted to assist Sgt. Watson.”

He described the officer as a “controlling,” “large and powerfully built” man.

“Watson kicked her to the side, a karate-kick that snapped her leg,” said the judge. Farrell screamed in agony as she tried to defend herself.

“Watson then jumped on her and punched her on the left side of her face. She turned face-down and Sgt. Watson kept kneeing her in the back,” Beatty said.

With her leg dangling, crying out in pain, Farrell was then handcuffed and taken to the cruiser.

She had injuries to her neck and back, a crushed knee that required several operations, a knee replacement and lost a back tooth. She now lives with her elderly parents because she will never be able to work again and can’t afford to pay rent.

During his testimony, Watson said he suspected Farrell had been drinking. He said she was disruptive and “took a poke” at him, then resisted arrest. But the judge didn’t believe him.

“Sgt. Watson provided no explanation as to how Ms. Farrell’s tibia was broken, or indeed, the reasons for the bruises on her legs and arms and the loss of a tooth,” Beatty said. “His notes did not record the hammer strike to her left eye, which was basically a sucker punch … he suffered no injury and her injuries were catastrophic.”

The judge said even if Farrell’s “excitement and zeal was distractive,” her only intent was to help.

“Police officers are trained and experienced in handling people who may be intoxicated, drug addicted, mentally ill, armed or violent. They apply their psychological skills and use the minimum of force in maintaining the peace and protecting the public,” Beatty said.

“That did not happen in this case.”

The Special Investigation Unit investigated the case and found no reasonable grounds to charge Watson, although he refused to produce his notes.

“Our records show he came in for an interview but he would not provide his notes,” SIU spokesman Jasbir Brar said. “That is within his legal rights.”

The OPP did not respond to calls for comment Tuesday
wow just wow
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
3rd Gear Member
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mississauga
Posts: 395
holy lol 0 accountability for anything they are definitely above the law these days
DET1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
wouldu like some tinfoil?
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,670
^ so it would seem

And all you can do is sue
Cops sued for $1.9M after charges stayed

A man with an alibi spent eight months in the slammer before serious sex charges against him were stayed.

Then he was forced to pay for electronic monitoring to ensure his release on fresh sex charges -- which again were dropped.

Now Hassan Salem is suing police and the complainant for $1.9 million, alleging false arrest and malicious prosecution, according to a lawsuit filed with the court this month.

Salem, 46, started a romantic relationship with a woman -- who cannot be named because she is a sexual assault complainant -- in the spring of 2012, according to his statement of claim.

He broke it off in October of that year, but the woman "did not take this break up well," the lawsuit statement alleges.

Repeated attempts over the past week by the Sun to contact the female complaintant have been unsuccessful.

On Nov. 30, the woman told police Salem had sexually assaulted her, though the woman's daughter told police she'd heard nothing and that the woman was a "drama queen."

More allegations followed and Salem was held for a bail hearing, even though Salem, a tow-truck driver, gave cops details of the towing calls he went to on the night of the alleged assault.

Police, he alleges, "failed to follow-up on this alibi information until forced to by the Crown on the eve of trial eight months later."

The woman made yet more allegations and Salem was denied bail on Dec. 20, 2012 and again at a bail review on March 4, 2013, despite an inconclusive rape kit, the lawsuit alleges.

Meanwhile the woman had more interactions with the police, alleging stranger rapes.

Her daughter refuted one such claim and police repeatedly showed up at the woman's home to find her intoxicated and at times belligerent, the statement of claim alleges.

Salem's trial was to begin on July 30, 2013. On that very day, the Crown disclosed that police had finally confirmed that Salem had been working the night of the alleged sex assault.

And when the trial opened, the complainant was nowhere to be found.

"Justice (Robert) Fournier stayed all counts against Mr. Salem and he was released following eight months of custody," the statement of claim says.

Court records confirm the charges were stayed at the Crown's request and that he had indeed spent eight months in custody.

But Salem's ordeal was not yet over.

On Aug. 17, 2013, Salem was busted at the Hull casino after the complainant in the first trial alleged, among other things, that he'd raped her.

Police again neglected to confirm his alibi, the lawsuit alleges -- though a taxi operator would confirm he took a cab to the casino half an hour before the alleged rape.

And two people the complainant said were witnesses to the attack did not corroborate her story -- in fact one witness said the complainant "had asked him to lie about Mr. Salem," the statement alleges.

This time, at least, Salem got bail, though under the terms of his release he was required to pay for GPS monitoring.

Court records confirm Salem's release conditions included an order to wear a GPS ankle bracelet paid for "at (his) own expense" and that all charges were withdrawn at the request of the Crown on Oct. 18, 2013.

The suit names the complainant, the lead investigators and the Ottawa Police Services Board as defendants.

"Their actions undermine the public's confidence in police officers and the administration of justice," the statement alleges.

Contactedby the Sun police chief Charles Bordeleau said "we don't comment on cases that are before the courts."

None of the allegations have been proven in court; no statements of defence have been filed.


Cops smashed up home lawsuit alleges

Cops also face two other recent lawsuits, including one in which a mother alleges officers trashed her home while executing a search warrant in February.

In a statement of claim filed last week, Bonnie Seguin alleges she was called a "f---ing pedophile" and a "pervert" while she lay on her living room floor wearing a housecoat and nothing else.

The morning of Feb. 4, Seguin had received a call telling her that her son had been busted at Algonquin College when police tactical officers arrived at her home.

They cuffed her, leaving her unable to close the front of her housecoat, and an officer made a derisive remark about her physique, the lawsuit documents allege.

Meanwhile cops bashed and smashed their way through the house, though Seguin claims she was co-operative and offered help.

Seguin was "handcuffed, assaulted (and) and treated with the utmost disrespect," the lawsuit documents allege.

Seguin's son and nephew were arrested and held for 12 hours before being released without charge, the lawsuit alleges.

And her son's laptop has yet to be returned to him, "even though the warrant that purports to allow the seizure of the laptop has expired."

Court records confirm police executed a search warrant at the Seguin household on the day in question, seeking evidence of child pornography images allegedly uploaded by Seguin's nephew.

Charges, however, do not appear to have been laid.

The Seguins are suing for about $450,000.

In an unrelated statement of claim filed over a week ago, a woman is suing for nearly $1 million claiming lingering injuries after an officer allegedly T-Boned her in a Johnston Rd. and Bank St. collision on Oct. 28, 2013.

No statements of defence have been filed in either suit.

When contacted by the Sun, police chief Charles Bordeleau said "we don't comment on cases that are before the courts."

None of these allegations have been proven in court.
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018