Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,905
The end of manual labor?



http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=656470

interesting, 7.7% of all vehicles sold last year had a manual transmission.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: T.
Posts: 17,932
Send a message via MSN to propr'one
lets just hope ZF and Getrag dont go out of buisness, so at least i can keep rebuilding the ones' ive got.
__________________
I run a canadian led kit & hid kit company, if you have any questions about led headlights or hid kits in canada or would like to check out our products please contact me here: http://absolutehid.ca

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
DriveItSideways
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: .
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
lets just hope ZF and Getrag dont go out of buisness, so at least i can keep rebuilding the ones' ive got.
I doubt that will happen, youd be surprised at the amount of cars that come with the zf/getrag's.
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
magnus
6th Gear Member
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reykjavik
Posts: 3,480
Does this mean people are getting lazy or that they cant drive proper cars?
lol
__________________
http://pics.livejournal.com/blblblblx/pic/000r554e.gif

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Quack
Wheelman
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,081
Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Does this mean people are getting lazy or that they cant drive proper cars?
lol
it's actually a combination of both, some manual drivers are getting lazier so they switch to auto, & the new drivers can't driver proper cars
__________________

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
coolhand
Banned
 
coolhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 3,464
I disagree, sure manual is better for fuel economy/power but that doesnt compensate for the inconvenience of always clutching/changing gears unless it's a race car then it's a must. I prefer the butterfly anyway. Also more and more cars are triptronic or how every you call it.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I disagree, sure manual is better for fuel economy/power but that doesnt compensate for the inconvenience of always clutching/changing gears unless it's a race car then it's a must. I prefer the butterfly anyway. Also more and more cars are triptronic or how every you call it.
The problem is, Automatics are getting more fuel economy than manuals now. Therefore, there is a less of a reason to get one.

It's the diehard enthusiast who still love them.

I have an uncle, who’s 75 years old and still drives a manual. That’s all he knows.
With his leg injury now, he’s considering an auto.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
magnus
6th Gear Member
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reykjavik
Posts: 3,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I disagree, sure manual is better for fuel economy/power but that doesnt compensate for the inconvenience of always clutching/changing gears unless it's a race car then it's a must. I prefer the butterfly anyway. Also more and more cars are triptronic or how every you call it.
Thats not right. You can drive any manual just as economic or even better as long as you know how to drive. On top of that no full automatic can much a manual on an uphill twisty road and further more you can use gears to even slow down hence saving on your brakes.
Semi autos are almost as good but still have some way to go. Proof is the new evo that sucks launching in semi auto versions is almost as good on a track as the manual but if you upgrade power beind a point it sucks ass.
Face it autos are only there for 3 main reasons. People are getting lazier, they cant drive and traffic is increasing therefore making an auto the sensible choice(and this is the only reason i would buy an auto)
__________________
http://pics.livejournal.com/blblblblx/pic/000r554e.gif

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
coolhand
Banned
 
coolhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Thats not right. You can drive any manual just as economic or even better as long as you know how to drive. On top of that no full automatic can much a manual on an uphill twisty road and further more you can use gears to even slow down hence saving on your brakes.
Semi autos are almost as good but still have some way to go. Proof is the new evo that sucks launching in semi auto versions is almost as good on a track as the manual but if you upgrade power beind a point it sucks ass.
Face it autos are only there for 3 main reasons. People are getting lazier, they cant drive and traffic is increasing therefore making an auto the sensible choice(and this is the only reason i would buy an auto)
I'm not sure what ur trying to say, sounds like you disagree with me but agree at some points. The Mythbusters said that manual is better for fuel ecnomoy/power and I would have to agree because its much easier to control ur RPM with manual tranny.


People in Europe drive alot more fluidly, that is a result of having a manual tranny in most cars.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
simplycars
6th Gear Member
 
simplycars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakville / Mississauga
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
People in Europe drive alot more fluidly, that is a result of having a manual tranny in most cars.
People in Europe also drive more aggressively and also getting a license in Europe is not an easy task - more than 60% of Canadian drivers would only pass after 3-4 attempts.
Auto transmissions were available in Europe and were mostly used by wealthy people or governmental agencies.
__________________
simplycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
magnus
6th Gear Member
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reykjavik
Posts: 3,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I'm not sure what ur trying to say, sounds like you disagree with me but agree at some points. The Mythbusters said that manual is better for fuel ecnomoy/power and I would have to agree because its much easier to control ur RPM with manual tranny.


People in Europe drive alot more fluidly, that is a result of having a manual tranny in most cars.
That is what i was saying too!
__________________
http://pics.livejournal.com/blblblblx/pic/000r554e.gif

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #12
slimjim
Almost Sideways
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 1,868
^^^^^^^^ did u just say triptronic and manual transmition in the same sentence! ...big difference, atleast from my experience...
__________________
slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #13
coolhand
Banned
 
coolhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
^^^^^^^^ did u just say triptronic and manual transmition in the same sentence! ...big difference, atleast from my experience...
No kidding, but the more options there are the less peice of the pie other options will have. Logically speaking that is.

No it was a diffrent sentence. noob!
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thornhill, ON
Posts: 1,684
Car are so progressive, it's no surprise. Wonder what's next?
PinkieMoscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
328is
tire don't like me
 
328is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: terrebonne
Posts: 209
this is in the US, in europe it is the opposite. People always buy more manual car than auto. Is it because europeen are less lazy or because they really enjoy driving ? i let you decide...
__________________
race car souldn't be restricted to race track !
328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018