Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-13-2006, 12:24 AM   #16
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

if he's exporting it he wont' have to pay local tax since he's not registering the car in NY.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:36 AM   #17
Crazy4Banger
3rd Gear Member

The more expensive the car the more money you save.
Crazy4Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #18
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz
if he's exporting it he wont' have to pay local tax since he's not registering the car in NY.
You'll have to double check that. I remember watching an episode of King of Cars where some guy wanted to do the same thing, but had to pay the local taxes in the end.

But maybe it's different in different states.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
M3ti Compact

One more thing...my dad's place imports grey market Scions for sale from the US. By the time they get them over here, converted, certified, etc, they are at $25,000 and they are hardly making any money off them at this price.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
fob
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
One more thing...my dad's place imports grey market Scions for sale from the US. By the time they get them over here, converted, certified, etc, they are at $25,000 and they are hardly making any money off them at this price.
You mean that we can legally drive Scions in Canada? I was sure they were not admissible to canada.
fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #21
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
Bullshit, why would they go to the hassle of importing them to make "hardly any money?"

My friend's dad used to import Beetles, PT Cruisers, etc etc. when they were sold out in canada and he would make about 10 grand a vehicle. Your dad must be making at least 5 grand a pop...
Old 05-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #22
M3ti Compact

Quote:
Originally Posted by fob
You mean that we can legally drive Scions in Canada? I was sure they were not admissible to canada.
Yeah...xA's and xB's are allowed. xA's are rarer in Canada as they look like ordinary everyday cars so no one bothers to import them.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #23
M3ti Compact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz
Bullshit, why would they go to the hassle of importing them to make "hardly any money?"

My friend's dad used to import Beetles, PT Cruisers, etc etc. when they were sold out in canada and he would make about 10 grand a vehicle. Your dad must be making at least 5 grand a pop...
The difference between Scions and Beetles and PT's is that people actually wanted them. The Scions sit in the lot for weeks, tying up space for other cars that sell faster, gathering interest, and wasting personnel time etc with people wanting test drives for the fun of it with no intent to buy, and finally they get sold at well below their asking price the dealer was hoping for.

Anyways, I asked my dad why they think they can get away with selling a $15k car for $25, and his answer was that that's essentially what it cost them to buy and resell it. He works there and sells these for a living. I have no reason to question his answer.

Last edited by M3ti Compact; 05-13-2006 at 05:18 PM.
M3ti Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #24
WRXXX
1st Gear Newbie

Basically u just pay the U.S dealer the invoice prix. No taxes, freight or PDI if importing to Canada. Checked that w/ the U.S customs dept.
U just need to pay the 21.1% taxes (6.1% import tax, 15% GST/PST) based on the invoice prix converted over to Candian dollars when u are over at the Canadian customs side.

I have a friend that just imported a '06 STI. Saved over $17,000 from buying it here.

Anyways, I hv decided to do the same on a new 2006 325i. Will let u guys know how it went.
WRXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #25
LBV
1st Gear Newbie

I've been thinking about this whole topic lately ... I wanna see how BMW Canada prices the new 335i ... I betcha it'll be worth buying in the States.

You may wanna wait until July 1st and save another 1% too btw.
LBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #26
totalstu
1st Gear Newbie

Ok, first time poster. Been lurking for a while. Considering a BMW though want/need, etc. is at issue. Anyways that is for another discussion. This here is very interesting. So now that I/we know how to determine the cost. How does it work procedurely.

1) You find your way down to wherever to pay and pickup the car. Do you get to drive it to the border? Without license plates or do you need to some permit or whatever? At what cost if applicable?

2) You do your thing at the border and all goes well. Do you get to drive it home? Without plates or do you need to also get a permit? If yes, how much, where, etc.

3) You wait for letter/form which determines what mods it needs, get them done, and get the letter/form stamped.

4) Go to MTO, register, pay, get plates, drive off.

If the warranty is honoured does that also mean the maintenance free period is also honoured, etc?

This gets even more interesting if the anaylysts/soothsayers are correct in saying the Canadian dollar is going to rise further. It's kind of crazy the price we pay for some things up here.

Thanks
totalstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #27
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

Some new car dealers in the US require the owner to sign a non-export agreement.

This is only the case on new cars - used cars you're home free (as far as I know)... I think the car has to be at least one year old

Can anyone confirm or expand on this?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #28
icedragon
2nd Gear Member

Good luck with your purchase in the states.

Yes, the Canadian 325i is more expensive than the US 325i, but you get what your pay for.

Keep in mind the differences between the Canadian VS US 325i in that the Canadian version has

-standard Xenon headlights
-standard cold weather package
-guaranteed to be built in Germany

US 325i does not have these standard options, and most are built in South Africa.
Nothing wrong with South Africa, but obviously, they have lower labour rates and lacks the psychological allure of a German-built car =)

Please let us kno how it goes.

Last edited by icedragon; 05-20-2006 at 02:47 PM.
icedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #29
icedragon
2nd Gear Member

If I ever save enough for a Porsche, I will buy it from the States.
For example, the Canadian and US Cayman S have the same standard options and are German-built, but there is a HUGE price difference.
icedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:27 AM   #30
d12
3rd Gear Member

i been thinking about this alot too... does anyone in here seccessfully transfered a car from states ? you can save alot of $ with the dollar going down
d12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: