Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Manimillion
Photographer

Tips before buying a Z3?

My gf is considering to buy a Z3 roadster, not the M, is tehre anything in particular to watch out for before buying one? (other then the usual stuff)...

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

which engine?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
Manimillion
Photographer

Old 08-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
jeremy
6th Gear Member

wasn't there a problem with the rear end on those ?
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
wasn't there a problem with the rear end on those ?
you had to go and mention that. E30 trailing arms plus... the butt-strut and body strut can overcome those but I found the ///M roadster to be too flexible for my liking. It's still a nice ride for a cruiser but not really trackable, sorta like driving moist noodle.

good gf ride though

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
BMWF1

go to bimmerforums.com / Z3 that forum actually has like 15 pages of threads on Z3's really good info also and the guys on there seem to know what they are talking about in terms of Zee's....especially Hugo (mod) really good......Good Luck
Old 08-22-2005, 11:01 AM   #7
JazzM
6th Gear Member

I've had my z3 for over 5 and a half years and absolutely love this small, quick and very nimble car.

There are a few issues with these cars, the most prominent and expensive one to fix is the rear subframe tear issue. This is caused due to the fact that there is only one 'ear' holding up the differential (e30 style) as opposed to the double ear configuration (e36). A guy by the name of Randy Forbes (BF.c) has a very nice kit (ca. $500.00 USD) for re-enforcing the rear subframe as well as converting to a dual ear setup (you will need an e36 diff cover - m3, rouge engineering, etc..). It also works with the single ear for just re-enforcements. I havn't had any issues with mine and I routinely check it especially since my car is nothing like stock (close to 300 WHp). Dinan also sells a similar kit but is inferior to this one.

The other minor things that you can get done is replacing the plastic thermostat housing with an aluminum one; as well as making sure all the recalls have been done.

The other minor issue that I have had with my car is the fuel tank volume sending unit malfunctioning.

For the regular Z3 you have 3 body styles to choose from (excluding the M and the coupe). 96-97 1.9 has a narrow rear end, 97-99 i6 models have the same rear flaired fenders as the M, then the 99-01 have the humps over the rear wheels.

T.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #8
ImolaMZ3
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure you don't want to look at an M? I happen to know where there is a pristine 2000 with really low km's I have only had it listed in the autotrader for a few days and the reponse has been overwhelming. I don't expect it to last the weekend. Of course who knows...

Follow the link for pics.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56980
ImolaMZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #9
JazzM
6th Gear Member

that's a beautiful care ImolaMZ3. looks very clean, nice job. Good luck with the sale. I'm sure you'll get what you're asking for it.

regards,

T.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #10
Manimillion
Photographer

Thanks for all the info, but the car she found was actually a theft recovery car, the wiring harness was messed up, yet it still ran.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: