Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-30-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
Lennon
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lennon Send a message via MSN to Lennon
Career change

Been a little while since I've regularly posted on the boards, but I hope to say that I'll soon be back in the BMW family.

Onto the topic at hand.
About 6 months ago I had gotten a back injury at work, I was a pipefitting apprentice, workin in the field doing commercial units like water, and waste water treatment plants. Anyways, after this injury, and the general attitude of construction companies and their latest focus on how they think they should be paying the general public has made me sick and fed up with the whole industry.

So, I'm a hard workin mature 23 yr old looking for a career change, and I'm hoping that you guys may be able to point me in the right direction or maybe know some people who are hiring. I'm not focused on one specific job, I'm more than willing to drive to Toronto from here in Cambridge everyday to get to work if need be. No issues there.

I'm very comfortable with computers, any OS, Office, ect.

If any of you may know of anyone hiring, help a guy out, I have a wife who apparently eats food, and I like doing that myself from time to time.

You know how it is.

I can also send my resume to whoever needed. Its ready to go.

Thanks for your time guys. I appreciate it.

- Lennon
Old 12-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
EuroSpectacle
88iS

Send a message via MSN to EuroSpectacle
financial industry... real estate...

mortgages, investments, insurance.. all things you can do with about 3 months of online courses.

mortgages you can do referrals and make 3-400 a referral
EuroSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Do this:
http://www.toronto.ca/employment/uns...ed_resumes.htm

and check these on January 4th:
http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/hr/jobs.n...+opportunities
http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/hr/jobs.n...ng+recruitment
Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
im planning a string of bank robberies. lemme know

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
Miguel
...Delt Smash

also try this:
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/mycitycareer

and check this:
http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/...mployer=449940
Old 12-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Your only 23??

You've been on here for so long, and i always pictured you as being some dude in his like late 30's mid 40's trying to get by mid-life crisis in a sexy 300zx!!

hehehe, glad things are cleared up...... consider going back to school?
Thats probably your best bet to make a decent living!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
sirex
King Sirex

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Intro_en.asp

its helped me find 2 jobs now... not the greatest paying ones.... but might be more beneficial to you..

good luck...

if all else fails, in toronto we have the Green Bin program.. Everything in it is biodegradable and fully eatable.. Just let me know and Ill stop the pick up men from taking it :p hahhahah JUST JOKING MAN!!! I only said it cuz of your funny ness with - wife and I like to eat sometimes!!!

anyway man best of luck, I hope you find something good!

Happy New years!
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Government work is where it's at if you can get in doing something you enjoy, or at least something you don't hate and can deal with.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It’s habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I’m Nelson, and I’m a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:40 AM   #9
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Let us know what kind of money you are looking it. The more info the better.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:33 AM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist

Yeah, need a more complete skillset. If you have a good mind for sequential logic, you can try to become a PLC programmer. Those are in demand everywhere, just work for yourself, hire your wife as some vice president or something and split the $ with her = WAY less tax.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:39 AM   #11
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpectacle
financial industry... real estate...

mortgages, investments, insurance.. all things you can do with about 3 months of online courses.

mortgages you can do referrals and make 3-400 a referral
True, financial course > www.csi.ca

If you are good at sales and like the financial sector > Stock broker

If you are good at sales, like banging on people's door and won't take no for answer > Insurance

If you like financial services, want to rise to the top, make money stiff and you have political savy > Bank

If you like financial services and want a golden retirement > Mutual Fund company (after 5years, you get 15-18% RSP contribution on top of your base salary)

If you like financial services and you want simple to understand > Mortgage broker
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:42 AM   #12
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
Yeah, need a more complete skillset. If you have a good mind for sequential logic, you can try to become a PLC programmer. Those are in demand everywhere, just work for yourself, hire your wife as some vice president or something and split the $ with her = WAY less tax.
this only works if you have a good portfolio of experience to back up the talk and you have an excellent INFORMAL reputation.

you also must be passionate about programming and clearly understanding business requirements in order to deliver working technical solution that will WOW the clients.

if you can't WOW clients, then it is harder to survive as a Contractor in programming
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:27 AM   #13
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

if ur good at sales...get some experience then try to go into real estate....i often hear of people using this as their 'career change' and doing quite well...
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:52 PM   #14
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster
this only works if you have a good portfolio of experience to back up the talk and you have an excellent INFORMAL reputation.

you also must be passionate about programming and clearly understanding business requirements in order to deliver working technical solution that will WOW the clients.

if you can't WOW clients, then it is harder to survive as a Contractor in programming
Nah, that's only true if you're starting from scratch. The key to any business is not what you know, or who you know, but who knows you. If you have people that will think of you when opportunities come up, you don't need a reputation, or passion, or any of than stuff. And I could help with that through my dad, but of course we would first try before doing, can't stake our word on a hope and a prayer.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #15
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Government work is where it's at if you can get in doing something you enjoy, or at least something you don't hate and can deal with.
This man speaks the truth. WOrking for the city is amazing. Talking from first hand experience.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: