Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
Bimbam
1st Gear Newbie

Need Help With Dual Vanos Rebuild P0011 & P0014 Errors.

I rebuilt the double vanos on my 2005 325i E46. Cleaned all the camshaft gears and secondary chain. Re-installed all cam gears, chain, tensioner and timed the engine as per the specs. Checked the timing was correct by turning crankshaft two full turns with tensioner installed and vanos timing jig installed (as per the manual). Timing was still right on as per the specs. Removed everything and installed the vanos.

Initially it would not start due to a low battery. I boosted it and it started.
On startup vanos was very noisy (knocking sound) and slight hesitation at idle. Warmed up engine then shut it off. Now it will not start. It tries to start, will sputter and quit. Get P0011 (Bank 1) and P0014 (Bank 1) codes. Cleared the codes. No codes show up now (probably because its not running long enough to set any?). It will not start. Tries, sputters and dies.

Removed the intake actuator, it was a bit sticky, cleaned it and re-installed, moves easily, but still have the no start problem.

I'm suspecting something in the timing shifted or slipped? Or would this be an issue with the vanos, considering the noise it was making on startup?

Any suggestions on what the issue may be would be appreciated.

BTW, will this car continue run if the battery is low? VOM reads 12.3V but hydrometer reading on all cells are 1.25 - 1.45.

Thanks,
Bimbam
Bimbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
jabela
6th Gear Member

Funny things can happen when the battery is low. Do you not have a charger? If not, I'd go grab one just to rule it out.

The first thing that came to my mind with the rough running was a vacuum leak. Just because it's so common on these cars.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
MANDD
Autobahn East

So after turning the crank twice back to TDC cyl 1 you refitted the cam blocks at the rear of the camshaft and ensured it sat flush?

You should go and recheck the timing position using the cam blocks for the rear and the VANOS timing jig at the front. Also ensure the VANOS bolts are correctly torqued (Left hand thread)

I believe the cam timing is incorrect. The battery may read 12.3ocv but may actually be much lower under load (cranking).

Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbam View Post
I rebuilt the double vanos on my 2005 325i E46. Cleaned all the camshaft gears and secondary chain. Re-installed all cam gears, chain, tensioner and timed the engine as per the specs. Checked the timing was correct by turning crankshaft two full turns with tensioner installed and vanos timing jig installed (as per the manual). Timing was still right on as per the specs. Removed everything and installed the vanos.

Initially it would not start due to a low battery. I boosted it and it started.
On startup vanos was very noisy (knocking sound) and slight hesitation at idle. Warmed up engine then shut it off. Now it will not start. It tries to start, will sputter and quit. Get P0011 (Bank 1) and P0014 (Bank 1) codes. Cleared the codes. No codes show up now (probably because its not running long enough to set any?). It will not start. Tries, sputters and dies.

Removed the intake actuator, it was a bit sticky, cleaned it and re-installed, moves easily, but still have the no start problem.

I'm suspecting something in the timing shifted or slipped? Or would this be an issue with the vanos, considering the noise it was making on startup?

Any suggestions on what the issue may be would be appreciated.

BTW, will this car continue run if the battery is low? VOM reads 12.3V but hydrometer reading on all cells are 1.25 - 1.45.

Thanks,
Bimbam
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
doogee
6th Gear Member

The codes will lead you in the right direction.

Looks like it isn't timed correctly.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: