Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
EsLa
1st Gear Newbie

Exclamation Summer is on fire and A/C decided to stop working!!!

2003 E39 - - A/C working on and off. Sometimes it works, blows cool air and a few minutes later it will blow hot air, on cases of long trips (1+ hrs) it might start working again. It seems to be worse on brutal hot days like this week. The refrigerant has been refilled recently, so I don't think that's the issue.

Are there fuses or relay for the AC that I can check? where are they located? is the relay under the hood?
Also, how should the radiator fan behave when the AC is turned on? should it start spinning as soon as the AC is turned on?
I'm concerned if its the fan that is going and don't want the car to overheat.

Thank you for any input or help.
EsLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
buckdesystem
1st Gear Newbie

Same problem here

i have an E39 that is doing the same thing. Freon is topped up. New pusher fan. Old one seized. When it blows cold it works fine, then it shuts off for about a minute or so and comes back on by itself and blows cold again. The longer it is running, the better it works. Short stop and start trips make it worse.
I have been looking on the net, haven't found this problem yet.
I am taking a guess that it might be something like a temp sensor that is too sensitive, and thinks the car is now cool and shuts off the compressor. I don't know anything about the temp sensor, or where it is.
Anyone else have this problem too?
buckdesystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #3
vehiclemech
1st Gear Newbie

When was the last time your AC got charged?
vehiclemech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
buckdesystem
1st Gear Newbie

Last week, it was charged. hasn't made any difference. Also hasn't made any difference with the new pusher fan. The a/c worked when the old fan was seized.
Like the previous poster, the hotter the weather, the more often it shuts down. Yesterday was only a little bit hot outside, and the a/c worked pretty good. Only shut off a little bit here and there. Now i don't think it's the temperature sensor. If it was, then it would work better when really hot, and worse when it's cooler. Maybe evaporator is a bit clogged up???
buckdesystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Dinanstu
4th Gear Member

Had a similar problem with a Volvo V70 I had. The magnetic clutch was wearing out, had to reshim it, and it worked like a charm.
Of course, I’m just speculating. You need to see a garage that does AC..
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:24 AM   #6
vehiclemech
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckdesystem View Post
Last week, it was charged. hasn't made any difference. Also hasn't made any difference with the new pusher fan. The a/c worked when the old fan was seized.

Like the previous poster, the hotter the weather, the more often it shuts down. Yesterday was only a little bit hot outside, and the a/c worked pretty good. Only shut off a little bit here and there. Now i don't think it's the temperature sensor. If it was, then it would work better when really hot, and worse when it's cooler. Maybe evaporator is a bit clogged up???

It could be a clogged evaporator. Better to get it checked tho.

I had similar issue and believe it or not if not recharged properly it could cause the AC to blow hotter air.

It should only be filled to manufacturers specifications
vehiclemech is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: