Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ixE30 View Post
I disagree. Modern cars have their own issues, suffer from rusty bolts, electronic gremlins, etc.

No car owner should have to "compete" for a basic service.

Not all work can be done with simple tools. Sometimes a lift, hydronic press, etc are needed.

I'm not going to buy a lift and a huge set of tools for the once every two years problem with my car.
I see you obviously have never worked on an E30 before.

An engine swap is not a "Basic" service. It requires sourcing parts, research, mix and matching and wiring.. Or someone with knowledge, which costs money. No shop is going to touch it unless you supply all of the previously mentioned, along with detailed instructions. And even then you're paying $100/hr.

I did a 24v swap in my driveway when I was 17 with basic hand tools. The only thing you would really need might be a engine hoist, or a winch. There's more than enough information on the internet to do the swap. If you can't figure it out, then you need to pay someone who can. You wouldn't try and wire your house because you didn't want to pay an electrician would you?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
325ixE30
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
I see you obviously have never worked on an E30 before.

An engine swap is not a "Basic" service. It requires sourcing parts, research, mix and matching and wiring.. Or someone with knowledge, which costs money. No shop is going to touch it unless you supply all of the previously mentioned, along with detailed instructions. And even then you're paying $100/hr.

I did a 24v swap in my driveway when I was 17 with basic hand tools. The only thing you would really need might be a engine hoist, or a winch. There's more than enough information on the internet to do the swap. If you can't figure it out, then you need to pay someone who can. You wouldn't try and wire your house because you didn't want to pay an electrician would you?

I have worked on many E30s. This wagon is my third E30. I'm not taking about swaps being simple.

Good to see the community likes to insult one another!

I thought I could find help on here....
Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #18
dbworld4k

E30 shop in GTA?

I don't think anyone is insulting you. They're simply providing answers to your questions about why it's difficult to get a shop to work on your E30. In some cases people have pointed you in the right direction, even.

As disappointing as the facts are, it's just the reality of the situation. Just because it's not what you were hoping to hear doesn't make it an insult.

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #19
325ixE30
3rd Gear Member

Implying I've never worked on an E30 is insulting...
Old 08-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #20
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Implying I've never worked on an E30 is insulting...
Working on one, and working on one as a business are two completely different things! I have done several swaps and projects in my days, on my own cars, but as a business owner I would not go near a swap. Why? Because it just does not make financial sense. The problem with swaps is having all the right parts, if anyone knows enough to get everything together, they probably know how to turn a few bolts and make it happen! If not (and chances are this will happen), you end up with a car on the hoist, taking up space, hunting for parts, etc etc etc...And it will be all good, if someone is paying for it, but in most cases it will come out of the shop's pocket, because "we had agreed on a price" bla bla bla...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E24 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z3 Z4 F30 F32 F10 F01

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 100+ cars now in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #21
JYPark
1st Gear Newbie

I was in the same situation as you and since no shop would do it, ended up doing it myself. You should just go for it man, I'm not a mechanic and still managed it in a weekend with a bit of help from a friend and google as a resource. You don't need a lift or anything fancy for the swap. Unfortunately for me the used transmission I bought was junk so I need to order a rebuilt one (for peace of mind) and swap it again, but at least in my case the rest of the swap is already done now! Good luck bro!
JYPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #22
JYPark
1st Gear Newbie

One tip that I remember off the top of my head is to make sure you order a new plastic piece for your shift boot. If you're going used for most parts this part will probably be brittle and cracked already. Garagistic now makes just the plastic frame portion which before, you couldn't buy on its own (I wasn't able to find it anywhere else anyways and didn't want to sell out a stupid amount of money for a shiftboot+plastic frame from BMW)).
JYPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #23
Schnitz
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Bimmersport isn't doing work on E30s any more either.
Strange. They just did a tonne of work on my E30.
Schnitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: