Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:26 AM   #616
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevw
Hi Justin,

27yrs old, 5'7" currently 220lbs

I use to be in great shape, in the 180's up until 5 years ago. I then started working full time on 2 week rotating shifts (mid/aft/days). Gained like 40lbs, developing bad eating/sleeping habits. Like having a late meal at the end of the shift, and going home to crash. Or being really busy working through breaks, get home have a big meal, then sleeping. Sometimes being bored, spending the night in the cafateria munching to stay awake. I feel drained all the time. I want to get back to where i was. What do you suggest for me? The challenge for me is trying to make it work, with the rotating shift work.

thanks,
Pete
This is going to be very difficult for you with shift work. The most important thing for you is to develop a proper sleep cycle. You will need to start spacing your meals out throughout the day, no more large meals until you are stuffed. Just snack every few hours throughout the day to keep your metabolism up. Once you get your sleep cycle on track, your nutrition up, and your energy back.. then we can focus on some basic cardio exercises.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:14 AM   #617
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Justin for the President lol .We better ask Admin to expand your Inbox pms.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #618
M-ATTACK
Vroom vroom

Hey justin, jus a quick question,

Ive been workin out for a while now and i go four days on and one day rest, is this a good schedule, or should i maybe workout 2 days in a row and 1 day rest? or 3 days etc, my plan here is to get bigger while still seeing the results of getting cut, thanks alot
Old 10-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #619
ncmedia
2nd Gear Member

Get inspired to get BIG

Hey guys, I work with the people at FAME (Fitness And Model Expo), if any of you work out and want to check out an amazing community and get some real inspiration, we just finished developing the World Natural Sports Organizations site check it out here, which is loaded with great info and competitions that all you buffers can check out. Once a year they do a huge expo here in t.o., check out some of these HUGE cats, some may be tooo big in your eyes, some are just the size you/I want to be, check out a HOT video of FAME HERE

Old 10-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #620
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
THE RULES: Gaining Weight for Hardgainers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E.
k im 6'1" and i weigh 120lb...yes im seriously underweight and i cant gain weight, well to my understanding due to what im seeing, my metabolism is stupidly high (i.e. ill eat 2 McChickens, which i know is unhealthy but its the quickest example i can think of, and in 15 minuts im hungry again). One problem someone told me why i dont gain the weight is due to the fact the way i eat, like i cant entirely chew my food as my jaw structure is abnormal thus i have a very small biting/chewing area leading to usually sometimes eating like a duck; chewing 3-4 times then jus swallowing cuz i have like only 4 molars and missing 7 adult teeth, they just never were existed.

Also sometimes when i do gain weight, say like 5-10 pounds, i gain it one week...but as soon as i get hit with a flue or even a minor cold, i lose the weight i gained plus additional weight. No one knows whats going on, and i have a lot of stretch marks on my stomach. I used to do kick-boxing and we had a routine workout and it got me toned, but my structural integrety stayed the same, stayed same weight.

Im going to try the vitamin E remedy as all of the stretch marks are just scar tissue building on scar tissue. So ill try that remedy...

As for working out i can pretty much work out whenever need be.

Thanks Justin
Jim

Edit: I saw a lot of the guys are posting what they eat...so here goes

- wake up and drink 600ml of chocolate milk (and a grenola bar sometimes)
- take a shower eat 2 rotis with w.e. dish my mom made
- if im going to uni in the morning (be hungry for an hour, drive there) then eat something from subway(6" chicken sub or footlong veggie)/kfc/wendy's (2 JBC and a small coke)/mcdonald's(2 mc chickens or a big mac)
- be hungry for an hour, drive home
- eat 2 hotdogs/spaghetti/leftovers
- grab an ice cream (sometimes not a lot...just get cravings here and there)
- eat dinner (if its rice then a whole plate and w.e. dish mom made/if its lasagne 2 slices/pizza then 4 slices/fajita's 1, used to eat 2 dunno why i cant now/but in general a serving for 2 people)
- chill for a bit before drinking a 600ml glass of milk then go to sleep

**a lot of that is in general what i can eat and usually do...but sometimes theres days where although i know its somewhere around the time ill eat but i dont feel hungry so i wont eat :S
- be hungry for an hour (ride home)
-
Superman87 was right on the money with his reply. You need to down more calories!

You, are what we call a hardgainer. The average person requires 10 calories per pound of bodyweight to maintain their weight. This is excluding any calories burned from every day activities. (walking, jogging, cardio, thinking, etc.) By this rule, a 120lb person would require 1200 to maintain their weight. You obviously have a higher metabolism, so we will generalize at 15cals per lb. Bringing you to 1800 calories. The average person's body will burn another 1500 calories per day from every day functions. Bringing us to 3300 calories per day. Now, you're going to be working out, so we'll add another 600 calories expendature, bringing your calorie intake to 3900 cals. Now, we don't want you to maintain weight, we want to GAIN weight meaning, up the calories at least 50% bringing you to 5850 calories to gain weight. Your goal will be from 5500 to 6000 calories per day. From your example, I would estimate around 3500 calories currently being injested. You'll need to eat another 2000 calories. I understand you have difficulty with chewing and consequently digesting foods. For this reason we are going to increase your fibre intake to help slow down the digestion and absoption of foods to prevent stomach cramps, gastrointestinal pains, and problems with your stool.

THE RULES

1. EAT MORE! You have a high metabolism, you need to injest more calories than you burn in a day. Eat anything and everything in sight... try to keep the saturated fats down for your health's sake. The rule is, if you're not gaining---you're not eating enough. It's that simple. You don't only need to eat more food, but also more times per day. What are you doing right now? Reading this? Are you chewing? You should be. The problem is, taking down all these extra calories can be difficult. For this reason you should invest in a good weightgainer. A weightgainer is basically a well balanced milkshake. It has your essential amino acids, vitamins, proteins, and some carbohydrates. They taste pretty damn good too. You can flavour it with some low fat ice cream, yogurts, peanut butter, milks, soy milks, fruits, etc. A single weight gainer (i.e. Interactive Nutrition Mammoth 2500) can give you a full 1000 calories. (In comparison, a Big Mac is 590 calories.. and it's not quality calories, it's a lot of saturated fats.)

2. CALORIE DENSE FOODS are your best friend. This means, more meats and less vegetables which are mostly water. More rice, less bread. If you are putting food in your stomach, make sure you're getting the most bang per bite. Everything that "health kick" people eat to lose weight, you shall now avoid. It is the enemy. You want what overweight chicks want. Cakes, pastas, pastries, and meats.

3. MULTIVITAMINS will be essential. The problem with these calorie dense foods is that although they are high in macronutrients, consequently they are low in vitamins, and certain minerals. For this reason you will need a solid multivitamin designed for men, and an additional B-Complex vitamin will be useful.

4. BEDTIME MEALS! While you sleep your body goes into hibernation mode. It burns very few calories and stores everything it can. You will need to stuff your stomach before bedtime and allow those calories to be stored.

5. LIFTING WEIGHTS. This is not as crucial right now, not until you start making some weight gains. Once you begin gaining some weight we will have to ensure this weight is gained as muscle, and not fat. After you have put on, say 5-10LB we will focus on this. For now, spend your money on food---not a gym membership.

6. HIGH FIBRE FOODS. Fibre is one of those odd things out. It really should be one of the basic food groups. But the truth is, it really doesn't give us much in terms of nutrients. What it does do, however, is reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, benefits diabetics, and helps avoid constipation. It works like a sponge, and sucks up many times its weight in water. What this means for you, is it will help slow the release of nutrients in your digestive system. The other thing it will do, is give your body more time to digest foods... helpful if you are unable to chew your foods properly. And also, since you will be eating so much... it is easy to have problems passing your waste. Fibre will help avoid these problems. You want a good mix of soluable and insoluable fibres. (seeds, oats, and wholegrains.)

7. BE LAZY. You need to be lazy, keep as many calories as you can for now. Try to avoid cardiovascular activities, or aerobic exercises. You want to sleep lots, sit lots, and stand around lots.

... Once you begin to get your body to begin gaining weight, we will have to change the rules to introduce different foods and some weightlifting. We will work one step at a time... for now, just focus on your diet.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #621
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan
Justin for the President lol .We better ask Admin to expand your Inbox pms.
lol.. I wish. I think this is officially the longest thread on maX now.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #622
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ATTACK
Hey justin, jus a quick question,

Ive been workin out for a while now and i go four days on and one day rest, is this a good schedule, or should i maybe workout 2 days in a row and 1 day rest? or 3 days etc, my plan here is to get bigger while still seeing the results of getting cut, thanks alot
There is nothing wrong with a 4-day split, in fact I've outlined an example 4 day split earlier in the thread. Take a look at various splits here: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...73&#post466973

Getting bigger while getting cut is edging on the impossible. Simply because they both require different demands in terms of nutrition, weight training, and lifestyle. You end up making little to no gains and becoming frustrated. You should focus on one, or the other. Most people do this in 3-6 month 'cycles' throughout the year.

In either case, while working out the most important thing about a split is allowing adequate time for resting each muscle before you hit it again either as a primary or secondary muscle. Whether you do this on a 1 day on, 1 day off, 2 days on 2 days off, 4 day, 5 day split.. or even take no days off at all---really is up to you and what you are most comfortable with. If you eat enough, train properly, and allow enough time for rest and recovery, you will grow. It's that simple. Rule of thumb is that it takes approx. 4 days for a muscle to recover. It can take longer if it is used as a secondary muscle. For example, triceps are also used for chest exercises. So it may take longer for triceps to heal if they are also used 2 days later for chest.

Justin
Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #623
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmedia
Hey guys, I work with the people at FAME (Fitness And Model Expo), if any of you work out and want to check out an amazing community and get some real inspiration, we just finished developing the World Natural Sports Organizations site check it out here, which is loaded with great info and competitions that all you buffers can check out. Once a year they do a huge expo here in t.o., check out some of these HUGE cats, some may be tooo big in your eyes, some are just the size you/I want to be, check out a HOT video of FAME HERE
Yeah, I know a lot of the FAME guys/gals. Some amazing examples of chemically enhanced physiques.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #624
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

thanks for the weight gain info justin
Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 PM   #625
M-ATTACK
Vroom vroom

thanks alot Justin
Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 AM   #626
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Can you give me an example of what your lunch meal is like? It looks like you're pretty much on track and doing everything properly. How do you do your cardio? Interval training? With the plan you have, you should be losing that weight fairly easily. Let me know what equipment you have at your disposal, and which days a week you will be training, and we can develop a proper split from there.
Hi Justin,

I've been doing it for about two weeks now eating healthy and so far i'm liking it. I gave up carbonated drinks and big mac tuesday lol.. Around 10pm I do my workout at the basement. I don't really know what to do with my cardio so for now i've been running or doing that gazelle glider for 45-1hour which gives me a good sweat.. As for the equipment, I bought a dumbell set 5/10/15/20/25lbs and some custom metal dumbells that I can put some weights on. I also bought a bench w/ leg weights & bench press. I have the olympic hammer curl and olympic 6" bar for the bench press.. So far I'm just using the hammer curl and 6" with the pre-weights and almost graduated and might get some 5/10lbs.

My regular lunch meal and dinner would be:

mix salad
grilled chicken or pork chop
water

So far I workout every other day and with cardio on the rest day. I just read your six day routine and I will follow that since I need something to do when I get home from work. Don't want to be a couch potato By the way, which do you recommened the workout time morning or evening? I can only workout around 10-11pm or 6-7am in the morning.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by crusher; 10-27-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #627
AndreNY
6th Gear Member

hey justin i have been a bit on and off, but im still trying to get back into the whole gym thing, and it's killing me, so starting Nov 1 i will be doing 6- days a week, i have gained couple of pounds (moslty belly) and wanted to take car of that, but mainly i wanted to start on my upper body, i wanna get cig, what kind of daily meal do you recommend.

thanx
Old 11-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #628
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
Hi Justin,

I've been doing it for about two weeks now eating healthy and so far i'm liking it. I gave up carbonated drinks and big mac tuesday lol.. Around 10pm I do my workout at the basement. I don't really know what to do with my cardio so for now i've been running or doing that gazelle glider for 45-1hour which gives me a good sweat.. As for the equipment, I bought a dumbell set 5/10/15/20/25lbs and some custom metal dumbells that I can put some weights on. I also bought a bench w/ leg weights & bench press. I have the olympic hammer curl and olympic 6" bar for the bench press.. So far I'm just using the hammer curl and 6" with the pre-weights and almost graduated and might get some 5/10lbs.

My regular lunch meal and dinner would be:

mix salad
grilled chicken or pork chop
water

So far I workout every other day and with cardio on the rest day. I just read your six day routine and I will follow that since I need something to do when I get home from work. Don't want to be a couch potato By the way, which do you recommened the workout time morning or evening? I can only workout around 10-11pm or 6-7am in the morning.

Thanks
Jeff
To lose weight, you want to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach when your body is in a calorie defecit. Your body will go straight to your fat stores to use as energy. If you want to tone and/or bulk, then evening workouts are more beneficial as after a large intake of protein you can go to sleep and allow your muscles to recover and rebuild---something that is difficult for your body to do while you're awake as your body is busy working on other things. (i.e. digesting food, keeping you thinking, physically active, etc.)
Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #629
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNY
hey justin i have been a bit on and off, but im still trying to get back into the whole gym thing, and it's killing me, so starting Nov 1 i will be doing 6- days a week, i have gained couple of pounds (moslty belly) and wanted to take car of that, but mainly i wanted to start on my upper body, i wanna get cig, what kind of daily meal do you recommend.

thanx
Right now, just focus on shredding the belly off. Start your workouts with 5 mins cardio, and end it with another 20-30mins. Weight in between. You want a low carb, high protein diet. (dieting food). After a month or two you can change it up and begin working on bulking your upper body.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #630
E36 Power
DEFINE GF

Well I talked to Justin about 2 months ago and Ive been going to the gym consistently since them - im 6'3 and about 187 lbs...Im currently taking a weight gainer as well as i just started taking the mass stack from bsn about a week ago - ive put on a solid 15 lbs since ive started going to the gym...

this is my program thats worked for me
Mon - chest / back
Tuesday - shoulders / legs
Wed - Bis / Tris
Thurs - Rest
* then the cycle repeats itself
* I also do a light cardio run about every 3 days for only 15 mins or so

Any suggestions Justin on certain exercises that I should do to improve my gains

and Im a very hard gainer

Jeff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: