Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:29 PM   #316
jello_g
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Muscle Soreness After Workouts
Generally exercises where eccenentric contractions are involved take 24 hours to really settle in; other exercises will have DOMS set in 48 hours later.
You are asserting that the onset of DOMS is a function of biomechanics. I'm a believer that it is more a function of muscular adaptation. If a muscle is taxed beyond what it is normally used to doing, regardless of whether the motion is eccentric or concentric, then micro trauma can result, and I would believe the degree of "pain" experienced depends on just how much the muscle has been worked beyond what it is normally capable.

Quote:
Essentric contractions typically are not as taxing as actual contractions (the part of the squat where you lift the weight).
Yes, and this is easily demonstrated when using the same weight for both eccentric and concentric motions. It's always easier to let the weight down slowly then to move it against gravity slowly. Thus, if micro trauma were to occur, it would more likely be caused by the concentric motion for any given weight. That is why a much heavier weight is recommended for forced reps or assisted negatives, if focus on eccentric movements is the goal.

Quote:
This is believed to be a 'safety device' built into our bodies.
Good point. I never thought about it this way but it makes sense. The body is saying, "Damn, I just busted my ass. I'd better introduce a feeling of pain to remind this moron not to do anything stupid until I've repaired myself."

Quote:
Your body is preparing for this to happen again so it will not begin the healing process immediately. Usually after 24 hours your body feels it is safe to begin repair... and you feel it. Usually if you work out extra hard and do extensive damage or do an exercise you have not done in a long while, your body will wait 48 hours before beginning repair.
I'm having doubts about this statement. You are directly associating the onset of soreness with timing of the healing process. I tend to believe that the healing process begins immediately after muscle breakdown, provided the correct nutritional environment; and this healing will start way before DOMS sets in. Perhaps I haven't read enough, but I haven't come across any literature that discusses this directly.

Gerald Lau's Facebook profile
Old 10-19-2004, 10:51 PM   #317
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
^^ yep, you're right I did word that wrong: not that it takes 24-48 hours to begin muscle repair.. as repair can begin immediately after a workout though usually not until you're resting. DOMS is what takes 24-48 hours to begin depending on the type of damage and extent of damage.

As for DOMS being a result of biomechanics or muscle adaptation---it's both. They're co-relational as I mentioned above. Your muscles are not used to essentric contractions from every day life. Really DOMS will subside with muscle adaptation---which usually leads to a plateau in the gym. When I stop feeling sore, I know it's time to change up my routine.

There is quite a bit of literature on DOMS; I did a report on it back in Kin a few years back.. if I can find the CD with the doc I can post up the works cited. Though a little unrelated, this is really an interesting read on some research done on DOMS: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0902.htm

Check it out, tell me what you think...
Old 10-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #318
jello_g
4th Gear Member

Quote:
..Though a little unrelated, this is really an interesting read on some research done on DOMS: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0902.htm

Check it out, tell me what you think...
Interesting articles but it won't influence me to shorten my split any time soon with the aid of these wraps. As you alluded to earlier, DOMS is a good way to gauge how much damage you've done. Reducing the painful sensation of DOMS negates a natural indicator of how successful your workout was. Frankly, I'd rather let the body take its natural course rather then try to induce a quick remedy so I can hit that body part again sooner. As for the second article that discusses working a muscle before DOMS has dissipated; interesting finding and probably moreso to those who have a short split. Personally my regimen allows a minimum of 6 days rest before I attack the same muscle group again. That is ample time for recovery and any soreness to go away.

Gerald Lau's Facebook profile
Old 10-20-2004, 01:20 AM   #319
BMW ACS S3
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW ACS S3
Guys do push ups work and if so how many a day and how many times.?I want to do some push ips,sit ups that kinda shit taht I can do at homw any tips on what to eat or I dont know
Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 AM   #320
BMW ACS S3
2nd Gear Member

Also check this I think its nasty but guys answear my question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muscle_made.jpg (30.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 10-20-2004, 01:40 AM   #321
Slowered318
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW ACS S3
Guys do push ups work and if so how many a day and how many times.?I want to do some push ips,sit ups that kinda shit taht I can do at homw any tips on what to eat or I dont know

Push ups are great, everyone should do them.. but what happens when you can do over 30 of them in a row? why not just go out and grab an adjustable inclining bench and some dumbells. you can work almost every muscle group with very limited equipment (less room then a coffee table). hunt around at garage sales cause after a few months if you enjoy working out your gonna want some real equipment or a gym membership.

just don't forget streches and a jog around the block to warm up or shovel the driveway

Last edited by Slowered318; 10-20-2004 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:45 AM   #322
BMW ACS S3
2nd Gear Member

I used to do 75 but then I stoped doing it for a mont and then I want to do it again and never stop lol
Old 10-21-2004, 09:30 AM   #323
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello_g
Interesting articles but it won't influence me to shorten my split any time soon with the aid of these wraps. As you alluded to earlier, DOMS is a good way to gauge how much damage you've done. Reducing the painful sensation of DOMS negates a natural indicator of how successful your workout was. Frankly, I'd rather let the body take its natural course rather then try to induce a quick remedy so I can hit that body part again sooner. As for the second article that discusses working a muscle before DOMS has dissipated; interesting finding and probably moreso to those who have a short split. Personally my regimen allows a minimum of 6 days rest before I attack the same muscle group again. That is ample time for recovery and any soreness to go away.
I'm on a similar split. The only reason I would want to stop the onset of DOMS is if I was an athlete.. (i.e. played football, hockey, soccer, etc.).. the stiff legs/muscles would be a huge problem. For my purposes... I want the pain...
Old 10-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #324
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmiN
Awesome post, thanks.
So would you do all these in one day?
-Cody
Shoot for 3 of the 4 exercises I listed in a single workout. If you finish all 3 exercises and still have time to spare in your 1 hour limit, you can do a few sets of the 4th. Change it up every week... shocking your muscles is key for bicep growth. Remember last week I reported I'm up to 135LB on the barbell curls? ... This week I'm up to 145LB.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:52 PM   #325
Justin e36
---

How to do Proper Push-Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW ACS S3
Slowerd offered some sound advice on Push-ups. Read that first before continuing onto this post.

Push-ups are one of the core body exercises which is awesome for establishing a well developed and balanced upper body. To do this timeless classic exercise you will require strength and endurance in your pectorials (chest), anterior deltoids (front of shoulders) and triceps (back of upper arm). This exercise can give you strength, endurance, and speed---depending on how you utilize the exercise.

You will also require strong abs and lower back to maintain proper form.

Using push-ups to determine your weak-spot

If you find that when you fatigue your back slumps the you require stronger lower back + abs.
If you find that you can't start another push-up from the floor then your chest is the weak link.
If you find that you can't finish the top part of the movement, then your triceps are your weaked link.

The proper push-up

1. Lay on the floor, chest down, with your hands a little wider than shoulder width. Fingers pointed foreward.

2. Elbows must be fully extended. Toes on the floor, and legs together.

3. Back MUST be straight. Never curve your back!

4. Breathe OUT as you push off the floor so your arms are fully extended, rest for a half second and slowly move back down.

5. Your nose should touch the floor, or your chest should be around 4" off the floor in the rest position.

*Remember to BREATHE! Inhale on your way down, exhale on your way up. Breathe deep and fill your lungs.

How many push-ups?

General belief among athletes is 200 push-ups per day.. however, this can be split throughout the day. You are considered in OK shape if you can do 10 push-ups. And in healthy shape if you can do 20 push-ups consecutively.

Variations of Push-Ups to Target New Muscle Groups

This is my favorite part... variations! There are so many ways to change up your push-ups.

Progressions

If you're new to pushups, you will have to work your way into them. Elevate your upper body to change the weight distributon to your feet. Using a flight of stairs is the easiest way to do this. Start on the 4th step for example, and do push-ups. When you can do 20 solid push-ups, you can move to the 3rd step up. Continue until you can do proper push-ups fully flat.

Once you are able to do this, you can begin elevating your feet so more weight is on your hands to continue the progressions. Keep in mind that if you dip deeper you will hit your upper back.

Weights

This is difficult to do alone, but with a friend to place a weight on your back. (between your shoulder blades---not on your lower back!). Alternately, you can use a backpack loaded with weights for your push-ups. (See? Bringing all those text-books home from school wasn't a waste of time afterall---now you have some weights for your push-ups!) If you have a little more cash to spare you can invest in a weight-vest with removable weights. Or utilize a sand-bag.

Delays

On your down motion, hold your body in the 'rest' position (with your nose touching the floor) for 3 seconds before beginning your next rep.

Tripod Pushups

Spread your feet apart and use 1 arm to do your push-ups. You will have to be fairly advanced to do this properly and maintain proper balance.

Claps

Push up off the floor enough to bring your hands together and clap. You will need ample time to bring your hands back into position to be lowered again. This is very effective to develop that explosive power used for many athletes (such as boxers).

Fingertips

Instead of using your whole hand, use only your fingertips for push-ups. This will help develop balance and symmetry.

Close-Stance

Instead of pushing your elbows out to the side on the down motion, keep your arms next to your torso. Your elbows will be facing the rear of your body (the direction of your feet). This is an extremely powerful isolation exercise to develop your Triceps more than your chest.

Insides

Keep your hands together and your feet around 1 foot apart. This will develop your triceps.

Prison Push-Ups

And I've left the best for last. By far my favorite and most challenging push-up routine. Even more fun if you're with a friend and competing... see who can make it further.

Use a deck of cards. Do the number of pushups that corresponds to the number on the card. Face cards (i.e. queen, king, etc.) equal 10 push-ups. You will need a timer as you are only entitled to a 5 second break between cards. Aces entitles you to a one-minute break. Continue until you finish the deck. Amazing, but very challenging workout.

* Variation. If you are trying this work out for the first time, rest up to 30 seconds between cards.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:10 PM   #326
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

^^ou that card games sounds like fun ...i've always loved doing pushups....2years ago i struggled to do 2 pushups (i'm not joking ) And in August i was doing about 50 consecutively with immaculate form

also, interesting that u posted about doms...as i am experiencing them hardcore right now , can't even move my left arm past 90 degree mark...it sux...but at least i know i did some damage *evil grin*
Old 10-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #327
Understated

Justin, can u please do a writeup on testosterone and the benefits of having a higher level during ur bulking phase?...how does lowered testosterone levels affect recovery times?>..does it at all?.....i know it affects actual performance when ur lifting...but what about when all that is done and it's time for ur body to rebuild itself?
Old 10-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #328
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Justin I got a problem.
after 2 months i have finnally gotten back to my regular workout routine.
it seems lke am not gaining any wight. i currently weight 160lbs. I can bench press 185lbs and i do it 3 days a week when i work on my chest. am doin 40lbs dumbels for the biecept.

wat can i do to gain some weight.. I Do eat properly.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #329
Understated

^^sounds like a plateau Zim...i think justin discussed it earlier so check the thread....but anyway best way to break a plateau is to do more than you are already doing...i don't doubt you ARE eating properly..especially if ur back to ur old routine(congrats ), but honest just take ur current caloric intake and add a whole nother meal if possible...or about another 500cals each day....try this for a week...see if u gain some weight..if not...add some more calories(a heavier meal) i guarantee you after a while you will get it right....but if your lazy just add like 1500cals [should obviously be way over ur maintainance] and if you ARE eating properly you should have no problem gaining weight...because as discussed earlier weight can only be gained if your eating in surplus to your current maintainance requirement of calories.

as for strength plateaus....i'm not to familiar with them, but i'm sure justin will fill ya in

Last edited by Understated; 10-24-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:45 PM   #330
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

^^ thanx for the reply jst was too lazy to go thorough the pages. i will try this week but dude u dont even know how much i eat.
Could it because i dont eat any breakfast? i can never eat in the morning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: