Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
Zorro
Newbie in distress

Exclamation Panicking ABS troubles

2002 BMW 530i - I get a "thump" sound, then brake pedal goes soft, but recovers. After the "thump" sound it sounds like a small grinding motor. The breaks pads are in good shape and wearing down evenly. The problem happens now and then and can't have it replicated at will. I've been driving the car with the triangle, breaks and ABS warning (ambar) lights ON for one whole year, but in the last two weeks my partner got two scares and she is panicking. Occasionally, the warning lights disappear for short periods of time when just starting the car, which makes me hope for a miracle, but they all come back, sometimes after restarting it. I took car to garage but the mechanic could not find physical signs of damage. He road tested it and ran it at high and low speeds with his diagnostic tool ON. His tool reported all wheels running at the same RPMs. Only one pressure number goes from lets say 500 to 4,000 and back. However, mechanic does not have the software to go further and pin-point the problem and I can't afford the astronomical charges at the dealer. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Zorro; 03-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: