Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Myworld
1st Gear Newbie

shifter to tranny seal leaking/broken

Hey guys went to bmw for oil change yesturday.

Car is 2010 323i - e90

one thing came back

They say my shifter seal is broken where it goes into the tranny, im guessing its the selector seal.. The girl said I'm leaking tranny fluid from it... The part # she gave me was 23-12-8-677-736 (a 2$ seal)

She quoted me $577 + tax for this job with three hours labour...

I declined the work because I think that price is outrageous and I wanted to check here first cause if it isn't a big job I can do it myself because these prices seem a little unrealistic..
I wen't looking for a DIY and all I found was this over at pelican parts but it seems to be for an E36 92-99 model. I have a 2010 323i: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...t_Bushings.htm

I guess what I'm asking for is, does anybody have any links to a diy for this job with pictures or video ?? or any input at all on how I should go about this for my model of car? (2010 323i - e90)..

My shifter does feel a little notchy and grindy lately in between gears with having a hard time sometimes going into reverse at all.

I'm thinking should I just replace this seal and be done or should I just throw a short shifter kit in there replaces all the bushing and seals while im there..... kinda looking at prices and feedback about the whole thing. How hard of a job is this do you figure?
Myworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
dbworld4k

Short shifter install doesn't involve replacing the selector shaft seal. If your transmission is notchy, I'd highly suggest a transmission fluid flush if it's never been done.

My 328 also has a small selector shaft seal leak but I didn't bother addressing it as it's such a tiny seep...

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
Myworld
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Short shifter install doesn't involve replacing the selector shaft seal. If your transmission is notchy, I'd highly suggest a transmission fluid flush if it's never been done.

My 328 also has a small selector shaft seal leak but I didn't bother addressing it as it's such a tiny seep...
yeah I was thinking of doing that but I was reluctant too because I'm not exactly sure if it's the selector seal or if its one of the other seals, I'm only assuming it is, all i have is the part # of the seal and not the exact location/problem area.

I also don't know if its a big leak or small seep as you said yours was. I don't know much about it at all really. If it's not worth looking into then I can leave it for now, I only suggested the short shifter etc because I was under the impression everything would need to be pulled apart to get at this seal anyway so i figured id just throw one in but i dont really need it tbh im tryna save some money and dont really even wanna do this but i guess the real question is how urgent or big of a problem am i dealing with? do i need to get it done asap or can it wait? can it be done by myself so i can save parts and labour, if so im looking for a diy with pics or vids if you or anybody else knows for any. basicly just need somebody to explain in detail whats going on here and shed some education my way :p
Myworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Cliff21
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myworld View Post
She quoted me $577 + tax for this job with three hours labour...

I declined the work because I think that price is outrageous and I wanted to check here first cause if it isn't a big job I can do it myself because these prices seem a little unrealistic..

I'm thinking should I just replace this seal and be done or should I just throw a short shifter kit in there replaces all the bushing and seals while im there..... kinda looking at prices and feedback about the whole thing. How hard of a job is this do you figure?
There's a reason it's 3 hours of labour, you need to remove a bunch of stuff including the exhaust and driveshaft to get to that $2 seal.

Here's one from an e36; http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=269673

I've had the weep, well now a small leak for a couple of years, was planning on doing the seal at the same time as the clutch, but who knows when that will need to happen.

Agree with the reco on the fluid if it hasn't been done, and if you are doing it, order the short shift parts - that's easier to do while it's all apart.
Cliff21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: