Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
JS_Hammer
1st Gear Newbie

Overheats but not really...?

Hi All,

I have researched into this for a while now and have come up with a bunch of different solutions to my issue.

So my 2011 335xi sometimes gets the battery warning saying I have used too much energy or something to that effect. Happens after if I don't use the car for a couples days. When this happens I don't have full use of full throttle.

Another issue but is more of my biggest problem is I can only drive for 20 ish minutes. It first starts out as it warns me its over heating then a minute later says it overheats. The temperature gauge reads normal when this happens. So I pull over shut the car completely off and restarted seconds later and the car runs perfect for another 20 minutes. Right before this happens the heat stops working and then blows cold air.

I have read that it could be the electric water pump which is a common failure, it could also be a bad relay, possibly a bad battery, someone told me a sticking thermostat, and I read it might be a faulty electric block or short some where.

I apologize if this topic has already been covered. My quick search hasn't come up with much.
JS_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

I would start with the simple stuff, always.

Get your battery and charging checked, takes minutes.

I do know the water pump relies very heavy upon proper voltage, to the point it wont even operate to bleed the system if the battery is even just weak.

Do that check then move forward
Old 01-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Bear
1st Gear Newbie

Two items spring to mind; first with "Too much energy" overcharge may be as simple as poor ground between battery, engine block and chassis. The easiest way to check that is with a "voltage drop" check between components that are theoretically firmly connected. There should be no drop if connections are clean and tight. Voltage drops anything greater than .025 v indicate dirty or loose connections producing a slight increase in resistance. Voltage = current X resistance.
The second issue with heat sounds suspiciously like an air bubble or "air lock" in the coolant jacket which allows a sensor to get warmer than design specifications = Warning light. If the air enters the heat exchanger core in the cabin; no warm water = no heat = cold air. Just some wild guesses
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
JS_Hammer
1st Gear Newbie

Update:

So I have switched the battery with a brand new one, the best one I could locally find. Still same "overheats" in 20 minutes ish. Right before the overheat sign the interior heats shuts off and blows cold air. I will check the bad grounds this weekend.

how would I go about dealing with the second issues?
JS_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Bear
1st Gear Newbie

When checking for voltage drop use the VOM set to 1-2 volt scale as you are looking for values less than< 1 volt. I do not recollect if you described checking the thermostat that would be an important step. Another check is (if you have access to one)to put a rad pressure tester into the cooling system cold. Start the engine and take the rev,s up to 3000 or so. Watch to see if pressure builds in the cooling system. The pressure should rise only after the engine has developed some heat (expansion of coolant = > pressure) if the pressure rises in 2-4 min there is a good chance that a miniscule head gasket leak is blowing gases into the cooling jacket creating the "air bubble" previously described. When sufficient coolant is displaced buy combustion gases the head is deprived of cooling capacity + overheat. The gases when moved up into the cabin heater have little or no heat value (compared to warmed engine coolant) thus "cold air from heater.......bear
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
steve.325i
2nd Gear Member

+1 for the air bubble.

Intermittent heat in the cabin coupled with the over heating issue would rule our the heater control valve. Yes it could also be the water pump or control circuitry.

Have you had the coolant system flushed recently or had some other work done where they may have had to drain some of the coolant? It is quite comment to trap air bubbles in the system while refilling.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

So may I ask, after the battery swap is that warning message now cured?

If so it looks like you had 2 issues.

My money is on water pump, it is deviating from proper speed, stopping good flow and causing loss of heat. That or you have a hefty leak and lose sufficient levels to supply the hoses but you have not mentioned loss of coolant so... water pump!

A simple scan to read codes and see pump speed would nail it and btw pump and therm get done together

Last edited by Blackedout95; 01-27-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: