Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
TheMadChigga
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga

BMW uses airlock sysem like VW did, so when it freeze, the moisture in the air lock freeze up and they loose pressure or the lock freezes, you can use lithium grease that they sell in Cdn tire and 99% time it won't freeze up anymore, or if you have fold down rear seats, simply go thru the trunk, that's what I did with my VW in winter.
TheMadChigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #17
sirex
King Sirex

they dont fold down unless u push the button.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #18
NIMA
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeee46coup View Post
I've owned a Honda Del Sol, Civic SiR and Prelude SH, in terms of reliability and the function of hardware they were flawless, my MB CLK 55 and BMW 323ci have been complete crap compared to the Hondas, really tempted to pick up the new Accord Coupe, but i'd take a "serious bath" on the BMW resale/trade in.
I've had the same problem in my 325 Ci..........the door sometimes would open but not close and vice versa. I used grease and silicone spray and the problem is gone.....for now.

BTW, Mikeee46coup, out of curiousity, what are the dealers giving you on a trade in for your car?? I'm thinking of trade as well...
NIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #19
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

I had a new driverside door latch installed 2 weeks ago, $600 repair but the door lock/latches work as good as new now.

Nima, PM sent bro

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #20
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
I picked up a small bottle at Shell one time cause I needed it immediately. Upon looking at the contents, I noticed it contains isopropyl alcohol. This is the same stuff that they use as rubbing alcohol that you can get from places like Shoppers.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #21
Manimillion
Photographer

After you wash your car take a rag and dry all the water around the inside of the door. And your door won't freeze.

My drivers door lock is frozen, so I just use the trunk to unlock the doors
Old 12-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #22
Toxic0n
2nd Gear Member

I thought our cars had heated door locks? or is it just the Canadian cold weather package?

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK
OEM Clears, LED license plate lights, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
vadim321go
6th Gear Member

i started having these problems when the weather dipped into the -'s, i bought white lithium grease at canadian tire, sprayed it inside the chamber and now i dont have any problems
Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #24
Starski
1st Gear Newbie

Be careful with all these chemicals that you install inside your door locks cause they tend to ruine the clear coat on your paint when it dripps happend to me thank god I had my POS winter beeter 99 accord.
Starski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

hairdryer

hot air seems to work, i always can manage to get the doors open somehow, my passanger side lock never seems to freeze go figure but the door not closing drives me crazy, so here is the ultimate tool to carry in your car, just store it out of sight when you are done. its a "slightly" gay item to have sitting on your passenger seat

http://www.nextag.com/12-volt-hair-dryer/search-html

just ordered one for 20 bucks.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #26
Souvrain
Jammin

Send a message via MSN to Souvrain
park your car in a indo garage my friend ! problem solve
Souvrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #27
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvrain View Post
park your car in a indo garage my friend ! problem solve
ahh yeah, i have a indoor garage available but choose not to park in it
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #28
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga View Post
BMW uses airlock sysem like VW did, so when it freeze, the moisture in the air lock freeze up and they loose pressure or the lock freezes, you can use lithium grease that they sell in Cdn tire and 99% time it won't freeze up anymore, or if you have fold down rear seats, simply go thru the trunk, that's what I did with my VW in winter.
I don't know about the E46 and newer cars or the 5 series cars, but the E30's and E36's use electromechanical locks and not vacuum locks like VW/Audi did.

Either way, My VW has the vacuum type locks and I've never had an issue with any of them.

On top of this I could swear the last time I was looking at an E36 wiring diagram that they have heated door locks? I know some E30's did for sure. So I have idea why so many of you are having issues.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 01-04-2008 at 02:46 PM.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #29
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix View Post
I don't understand how everyone gets these problems, I've never in my life ran into this issue on any cars I've driven....
because you drive your car on a regular basis. I left my car outside before last snow storm till 2-3 days after it ended. Then cold temperature settled in which froze all my doors except my rear passenger door.

If you open the doors during a storm it should be ok but if you leave it out then you got a big popscicle
Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #30
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
because you drive your car on a regular basis. I left my car outside before last snow storm till 2-3 days after it ended. Then cold temperature settled in which froze all my doors except my rear passenger door.

If you open the doors during a storm it should be ok but if you leave it out then you got a big popscicle
It still shouldn't happen... The last storm we had I hadn't driven my car for 3ish days prior... and still I was able to unlock my doors and open them. And the last day I did drive it is when we had ice rain.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: