Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Rough idle??

A friend of mine has a 99 540i, he bought it in 2000 with only 5000km and always did everything on time..

Since about two weeks ago whenever he starts it in the morning (it's parked indoors but the garage is not heated) it idles really rough. Once morning I was there and saw it, you can actually see car shaking, feel it if you're inside..and RPMs get low and then it dies. If you give it a bit of gas it won't die and as soon as it warms up a bit (min or two) it's fine. Same goes for the rest of the day, starts without any problems, no shaking etc.

Any ideas?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Toxic0n
2nd Gear Member

The infamouse rought idle on cold starts...could be a number of reasons. VANOS failing will cause this, search on e46fanatics.com

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK
OEM Clears, LED license plate lights, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Anything specific to E39s?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:51 AM   #4
///M POWER
3rd Gear Member

Not sure about the e39's maybe the pros can chime in on that...However what you described was similar to my 2003 E46 M3 and I brought it to Parkview BMW...The shop foreman advised even though my car was under cert. series reprogramming/updating the DME wasn't covered, but he did it anyway and it has cured the problem, no more rough idles. Just a possibility.
///M POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

An update, this morning I went over there and when he started the car same thing happened but to me it sounds like the car is not working on all 8 cylinders or it's just not getting enough of fuel so the RPMs drop VERY low (for a cold car) to about 200-300 and then the car dies. When you give it some gas there's hesitation, then the RPMs jump up (way up, 4000-5000)..all this lasts for about two minutes, once the car is warm everything runs perfectly. No lack of power or anything..

Also, when you give it some gas (while cold) there's knocking under the hood, but that lasted very shortly so by the time I got out, opened the hood it was gone..car was warm and everything was done.

So..any ideas now?

PS. He's taking it to my mechanic after new years so it can sit there overnight and he can start it in the morning.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster View Post
An update, this morning I went over there and when he started the car same thing happened but to me it sounds like the car is not working on all 8 cylinders or it's just not getting enough of fuel so the RPMs drop VERY low (for a cold car) to about 200-300 and then the car dies. When you give it some gas there's hesitation, then the RPMs jump up (way up, 4000-5000)..all this lasts for about two minutes, once the car is warm everything runs perfectly. No lack of power or anything..

Also, when you give it some gas (while cold) there's knocking under the hood, but that lasted very shortly so by the time I got out, opened the hood it was gone..car was warm and everything was done.

So..any ideas now?

PS. He's taking it to my mechanic after new years so it can sit there overnight and he can start it in the morning.

I hope you aren't reving the engine right after cold starts before the engine has wamred up, over 3-4k rpm, and specially giving lots of throttle while doing that...
Old 12-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
magnus
6th Gear Member

check coils, plugs and clean idle valve
There is also a cold start system but have no clue bout it.
Take plugs out and check the colour. If you can take pics of them we can see which one is running lean or rich.

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

After talking to a few people it seems like this is manifold seals/covers issue; when the engine cools off they "retract" and let air into the engine once it's started. As soon as the metal warms up they expand and issue is solved..makes any sense?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster View Post
After talking to a few people it seems like this is manifold seals/covers issue; when the engine cools off they "retract" and let air into the engine once it's started. As soon as the metal warms up they expand and issue is solved..makes any sense?

It does make sense, unmetered air in the engine can do funny things with idle and misfire under driving.

So the problem goes away when the engine warms up?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimillion View Post
It does make sense, unmetered air in the engine can do funny things with idle and misfire under driving.

So the problem goes away when the engine warms up?
Yes, after a few minutes (2-3) car runs fine. He drove my car this morning so he can compare and after a few minutes of just idling both cars run the same.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
kurupt_k
www.gotHID.ca

prob a vacume leak had to change some gaskets on mine, however i have heard of the intake gasket cauing similar problems
kurupt_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
i had a similar prob with my car.....it ended uo being my tork convertor....just a suggestion, but you should inquire about that too
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: