Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #31
JazzM
6th Gear Member

automatic transmission have multiple clutches for each gear. they simply use the transmission fluid pressure to actuate and engage the clutches based on engine RPM, load and throttle position.

SMG is a manual transmission (single clutch and no torque converter) that has an automatic gear selector and clutch engagement unit. It uses a dedicated computer to control the clutch and gear selection for you in an almost "idiot proof" manner (ie. by not letting you downshift if you'd overrev the engine and exceed the RPM limit).
Old 12-27-2007, 03:25 AM   #32
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzM View Post
automatic transmission have multiple clutches for each gear. they simply use the transmission fluid pressure to actuate and engage the clutches based on engine RPM, load and throttle position.

SMG is a manual transmission (single clutch and no torque converter) that has an automatic gear selector and clutch engagement unit. It uses a dedicated computer to control the clutch and gear selection for you in an almost "idiot proof" manner (ie. by not letting you downshift if you'd overrev the engine and exceed the RPM limit).
So therefore it comes to my point.

Automatic transmissions have clutches.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #33
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuys... I'm thinking of selling my car in the spring... actually planning on it... lol... I need an M3... that's not too much to ask is it? haha...

has to be...
- a late model 2003 or newer (I want the LED tails and no damn engine recall issues)
- a cabriolet!
- black with red interior (no exceptions!)

if you guys have any opinions, know anyone interested in my '94 325i cabrio (you can find pics of it all over this site... no idea what I'm asking for it yet), or come across a really nice black/red M cabrio... post it!

hahah, I'm proud to say I started this desire/want in her! hehe LOL

80% of you guys here have never owned/even driven an SMG E46 M3, let alone E46 M3 for more than a day, let alone 1 month, so, when you happen to put some actual time on an SMG E46 M3 for longer than 1 month and then switch to an E46 M3, come back to me and tell me you dislike SMG and its "no good"

After having the joy of owning one of these beasts, (E46 M3 Cabriolet) I'll have to say I was never a believer of SMG ( actually really hesitant on buying it) until one month of "good" driving. Let me tell you, driving an 2005 6spd E46 M3 (thanks a friend of mine) every other day in the summer, till I decided, I'm glad I chose SMG.

There is no possible way anyone, and I mean anyone in this world can shift as fast or as nicely and crisp as the SMG II system does, NO ONE.

It hits you so hard in the chest, you don't even believe it, and just a pure thrill/excitement when you're driving with the top down and blazing through gears. Just ask Stephanie, she's had the pleasure.

anyway, having that said, I cry everyday seeing that gorgeous sexy white beauty stored away in my garage... I'll probably keep it forever but you never know. I found an incredible deal on an 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, pearl white too (too good to pass up). If not that there's a gorgeous Red 1998 Ferrari 355 spyder (through a friend) with my name on it. and sorry these deals are only for me.

Last edited by rendered; 12-27-2007 at 08:34 AM.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #34
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
Damn I can't believe how dated the e46 is now

It's not a car for me though, but cool nonetheless
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
Good Luck, I really like the e46 m3. There is nothing like an m3, my friend just got one, its so cool. Kinda sad I wont ever have one though... Saving up for a used 6 Series or 335i coupe.

If I were you id avoid SMG on a used m3.
Funny how we think alike. The new 335 is just as quick as the e46 M3. I'm liking the 6 in a cabbie as my next car too Who knows? I'll probably change my mind by the time I'm ready anyway.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #35
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
Agreed.

Funny how we think alike. The new 335 is just as quick as the e46 M3. I'm liking the 6 in a cabbie as my next car too Who knows? I'll probably change my mind by the time I'm ready anyway.
Stock form no, but very easily modified, yes its as quick if not quicker. but then you start modifying the M3.... and damn, what a car you end up having.

Personally the new 2007 3 Series coupe/ 2008 M3 does nothing for me. I almost bought one till my salesperson agreed with me, they went cheaper in quality this generation of 3 series(was he ever kicking himself in the ass for admitting this to me)... The interior is quite hideous (moved away from that cockpit feel I get from the E46) and the side crash test ratings are pretty dissapointing... Overall They certainly have decreased in quality to maximize BMW's profit.

but hey what do I know? I only own two of them. lol
Old 12-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #36
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
so mark, when the snow melts, we going for a spin in the M?

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #37
rendered
6th Gear Member

hell yes man. we'll drive to my place in florida.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #38
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post
the side crash test ratings are pretty dissapointing
Umm... the NCAP rating for the new 3 series is better then the E46... ESPECIALLY for the side crash test.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #39
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Umm... the NCAP rating for the new 3 series is better then the E46... ESPECIALLY for the side crash test.
oh... i didnt know that...

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #40
FastM3
is dreaming of ///M's

Stephanie, AlpineWhite on Cinnamon or Carbon Black on Imola or Kiwi....and you will be my new favourite woman of all time.
FastM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #41
Souvrain
Jammin

Send a message via MSN to Souvrain
hummm SMG
Souvrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #42
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
European New Car Assessment Programme aka Euro NCAP is for europe. We live in Canada. I'm sure the assesment program is not the same.

http://www.safercar.gov/ is the north american version. They only rated the E46 Sedans. I would think the coupe is a safer. I hope.

and i mixed up the new 3 series with the 5 series article I read. http://www.wheels.ca/article/30974 and there's another one http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0816?hub=World

regardless of what you say, the new series doesn't seem better to me at all in any way.

and how could they go spin off the looks for the 135i from the 2007/2008 3 series coupe/m3... thats just horrid to me. I'm glad they never attempted that for the E46

Last edited by rendered; 12-30-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #43
europrince
6th Gear Member

^ there is a reason why auto journalists love the new 3 and say it is an improvement on the old.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:09 AM   #44
rendered
6th Gear Member

i guess i'm the only one who feels this way, lol
Old 01-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #45
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post
European New Car Assessment Programme aka Euro NCAP is for europe. We live in Canada. I'm sure the assesment program is not the same.

http://www.safercar.gov/ is the north american version. They only rated the E46 Sedans. I would think the coupe is a safer. I hope.

and i mixed up the new 3 series with the 5 series article I read. http://www.wheels.ca/article/30974 and there's another one http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0816?hub=World

regardless of what you say, the new series doesn't seem better to me at all in any way.

and how could they go spin off the looks for the 135i from the 2007/2008 3 series coupe/m3... thats just horrid to me. I'm glad they never attempted that for the E46
Ummm are you feeling ok? There's NCAP written all over the site that YOU linked, not to mention that I never said Euro NCAP anywhere in my previous post. There IS such a think as NA NCAP if you haven't figured that out yet.

regardless of what you "think" the E9x series according to the NA NCAP from safecar.gov gives them 5 stars in the side impact rating. It doesn't get higher then that. You coming here and spewing miss information is just funny. Next time do some research instead of the know-it-all attitude just because you own a certain car.

Oh and also, the new car IS better.... you might not think so, but don't interpret that for fact. The new cars have better chassis, and over all an entire generation more of technology in them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: