Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

E39 Rouch Cold Start: Code P1345

Hello,

My car has a rough cold start. Most times it smoothes out on its own after a minute or so. But sometimes (1-3 times in the winter) it was really bad that I had to turn it off, then when I tried to start it it didn't start, then I tried again and it started smooth!

I scanned it yesterday and it's code P1345 which is: Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-Off.

Here are some info:

When the car starts in cold temperatures (~below 7C) there are usually white puffs of smoke coming out of the exhaust for about 15-30 seconds then it goes away as the engine smoothes out.

I changed all spark plugs/coils two years ago.

Recently I've noticed the mpg went up from 10.5L/100km to 14.3L/100km.

I also know that fuel injector #1 leaks (at least I know it leaked 2-3 times at start this winter when the temperature was below -22C, then stopped leaking as the engine warmed up).

I've been using "Liqui Moly 2007 Jectron Gasoline Fuel Injection Cleaner" whenever I fill up gas for the last month or so. I don't know if has helped or not.

Can someone direct me into what I should look into or do next?

I don't mind doing some easy to moderately hard work on the car. I am trying to fix it and learn at the same time.

Any tips and feedback is much appreciated and needed!

Last edited by wc123wc; 03-07-2018 at 12:35 PM.
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
windwagen
6th Gear Member

How did you learn that injector 1 is leaking?
Does the code return after clearing?
My 528 touring averages 12L / 100 km

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

When it was very cold this winter (-25C) I smelled gas in the car after I started it and started driving. So a couple of days later when it was really cold (-22C) I opened the hood and started the car and I saw that injector #1 (the one closest to the bumper) leaking fuel. But I only saw injector #1 leaking because I couldn't see the rest.

Another time I took the cover off and started the car in cold but none of them leaked, but it was only -9C (not -25C).

I don't think a leaking injector has anything to do with the rough start because even when it's 2C I have a rough start and I don't smell any gas inside the car.

After a very rough start (when I have to turn the car off, and restart it) the code comes up and goes away after a day or two. If it's a rough start but it's not so bad that I don't have to turn the car off and the engine smooths out after a minute or so, the code doesn't come up.

My car was averaging 10.5L/100km, but now it's 14.3L/100km!

I am trying to figure out how to do this injector cleaner procedure where it's poured into the cylinder bay and leave it soak...but I can't figure out the steps exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
How did you learn that injector 1 is leaking?
Does the code return after clearing?
My 528 touring averages 12L / 100 km
Old 03-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Leaking into the engine compartment? I hope you got that fixed! I thought you meant it's leaking into the motor.

I suppose that if you have a severe leak ..... one that's leaking 3.8L/100km perhaps.... the fuel pressure may drop somewhat. That might affect the cold idle. Cold engine requires more fuel.

What happens if you floor it - after warming up?

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 03-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

I haven't gotten it fixed yet. It only happens in very cold temperatures (below -22C), so it only happened a couple of times this winter. I don't think it's related to the cold start because even in warmer temperatures like 2C where the injectors don't leak, the car still has a rough "cold" start.

Of course I am planning on replacing the injectors. I am looking for used ones from an E60 530i's because they are compatible with the E39 530i injectors and they are supposed to have been fixed by Siemens (they don't leak in very cold temperature). I just don't want to buy new ones because a new injector is about $150-$200, multiple that by 6 cylinders...it can get very expensive!

Once the car is warm, it works normally. The engine pulls no problem. No hesitation. The engine is smooth. Everything is fine! It's just that initial start.

That's why I want to do the cleaning procedure I saw on YouTube, because I think it has something to do with too much carbon build up/gunk on the cylinder rings because my car burns oil (which I think it is an indication that the cylinder rings are not sealing properly). I just can't figure out the exact steps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vo4fm0JDPY
Old 03-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
windwagen
6th Gear Member

You can see fuel leaking out of the injector?? Like squirting out??? Usually when someone says "injector is leaking", they are referring to fuel leaking out of the injector nozzle.

Before you try the stuff in the youtube video, perform a compression test to confirm this is the problem. If it's smooth when warm, I doubt compression is the issue.

I hijacked this from the web...
A fault code of P1345 on a BMW is: "Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off". This means that the OBD II system has detected a misfire in cylinder 2 and has shut off the number 2 injector to keep from flooding the catalytic converter

This would cause rough running for sure....

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 03-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Yes, apparently E46 and E39 fuel injectors were faulty and leak in extreme cold. See this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvsL_FRgGU4

Mine leaked once or twice this winter when it was below -20C.

I got the same result when I googled P1345 code, I just don't know what the result mean or how I can fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
You can see fuel leaking out of the injector?? Like squirting out??? Usually when someone says "injector is leaking", they are referring to fuel leaking out of the injector nozzle.

Before you try the stuff in the youtube video, perform a compression test to confirm this is the problem. If it's smooth when warm, I doubt compression is the issue.

I hijacked this from the web...
A fault code of P1345 on a BMW is: "Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off". This means that the OBD II system has detected a misfire in cylinder 2 and has shut off the number 2 injector to keep from flooding the catalytic converter

This would cause rough running for sure....
Old 03-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Jeez... that looks like a fire hazard! I'm surprised there's no recall for that!

Does that p code keep coming back?

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 03-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #9
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Yes, many drivers think the leaking fuel injectors should be covered by BMW! It looks like a safety hazard! But BMW and Siemens are pretending like they don't know it's happening.

The code only comes back if the cold start is so rough that I turn the car off (I turn it off because the whole car starts shaking violently!) But that doesn't happen often, may be 2-3 times in the winter after the car sits for 2 days.

Most times the car sorts itself out after a couple of minutes and I go on my way and there is no code.

I uploaded a video (see the link below) of me starting the car this evening after 2 days of sitting. At 45 seconds the car starts to shakes slightly, and around 2:30 the car kinds of calms down. I don't know if it's more of a rough start or a rough idle. It looks like it's more of a rough idle...the RPM is having hard time settling when in Park. As soon as I switch to Drive or Reverse the RMP dips down then rises up to the its normal 600 RPM. But when I switch to Park the RPM "settles" at 800 RPM. Skip to 3:15 if you want to.

I don't know what's causing this and how to fix it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfxoftshi0
Old 03-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Please note the following pointers:

1) Rough idle at cold start (especially in very cold weather or if it has been sitting for a couple of days).

2) White puffs of smoke come out of the exhaust for the first minute or so.

3) RMP stays up around 800 RPM when in Park, dips lows around 400 RPM when in Drive or Reverse until the car is warmed up.

4) MPG went up. It was around 10.5L/100km, now it's around 14.3L/100km.

5) Secondary Air Bump makes noise; needs replacement.

6) Coils and spark plugs, DISA valve, MAF (I think, not 100% sure), were replaced in the last 2-3 years.

7) Throttle body was cleaned last year.

8) Car runs greats once it's warm, no hesitation.

9) On very cold starts when the car has a very rough start and starts to shake violently and I turn it off, I try to turn it on and it won't start, then I try again and it runs again fine I get code P1345

10) In very cold temperatures below -22C injector #1 (closest to the bumper) leaks fuel outside of the engine. This happens very rarely and I don't think it's affecting the rough idle on cold start, because the rough idle on cold start is always there but the fuel injector only leaks in very cold temperatures -22C and below.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:36 PM   #11
windwagen
6th Gear Member

If it were my car, I'd swap the injectors around - esp #2. And wait for the nasty rough idle. When it happens again, see if the code has changed to another cylinder. The code you mention is related to the injector leak through the nozzle - not the fire hazard leak we discussed. This would tell you if the problem is the injector.

I hate to say it, but the M50 in the touring I'm parting out has twice the mileage and runs better - without burning ANY oil.....what's going on BMW????!!!!

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 03-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
doogee
6th Gear Member

Am I the only one screaming at the monitor to start with checking and replacing the leaking fuel injectors?

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Am I the only one screaming at the monitor to start with checking and replacing the leaking fuel injectors?
I am. I am just looking for good used ones.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so I found a place in Vaughan that can test and clean fuel injectors and replaced the filter and O-rings so I am doing that for my car. They will also tell me if any of them is leaking. $30 per injector (clean; replace filter and O-ring); $14 if it's leaking after compression test.

But here is the thing that's confusing me: the car idles rough in P, but when I switch the gear lever to D or R (still not moving because my foot is on the brakes) the car idles smooth!

I replaced the DISA valve 2 years ago, and cleaned the ICV and throttle body last year!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Engine mounts???

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: