Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
sundo3
1st Gear Newbie

E83 3.0 2010 is greeting you from Vancouver, BC, Canada

My nice looking white car with tan leather (odo=33K KM) was amongst the last being built in Graz Austria so hoping they fixed the last hiccups the car may have had.:beer:

I replaced the old battery without a memory saver and - now 3 lights on the dashboard - See below.

I tried the turning steering wheel method turning into each direction from one end to the other and back, but no luck. I drove it just a few kms though to another storage location.

When I did a tight turn into a parking spot it felt like it didn't want to continue the movement as if the 4x4 co-ordination was out of sync so I forced it gently. Hope I did not break anything. Certainly no CEL after that, nor did I hear anything, and from then on I avoided any sharp turns.

ANY easy way to fix it? I could download Carly for BMW (I already have CARLY for Mercedes, Just did not want to spend another $85 on BMW if there is an easy way to fix those 3 lights).

The 3 lights are:
DSC in yellow (looks like an 'A' with a curved arrow over the top and '4x4' underneath),
ABS in yellow (looks like a drum brake with an exclamation mark in the middle and brake shoes on either side - but it's not the brake pad warning light), and
SRS in red aka Airbag light

I mentioned the situation to an indy and he said he can fix it with a half hour job to his shop, but again, if I can get it done on my own I would like to hear your opinions.

So, it's the last model e83 3.0 out of Austria from 2010.

Anyone can comment who had first-hand experience with my situation?

I figure the values were erased when changing the battery and now the OBD simply complains until the values get relearned from careful and controlled driving under 50kms <<<<<<<< Do you AGREE ??

To attach a picture do I need to repeat the question in another forum?

Thanks in Advance friends :shock:
sundo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
dbworld4k

Spend the money on a proper scan tool for BMW... Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark. $85 for that Carly BMW thing is pennies compared to any part you're blindly going to throw at it via this guessing game.

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
rdc
1st Gear Newbie

Like he said get a scan tool that reads/clears the BMW codes. Need the codes to accurately figure out whats wrong. A cheap creater 310 for $80 will do. I leave mine in the glove box.

Not saying this is your issue (need to read the codes) but the last time (...well three times) those trio of lights popped up it was a worn out transfer case actuator gear. Swapped out the gear for $30 and I'm good to go for another 80k klm.

Also swap out the transfer case fluid with the original BMW stuff. Really surprised at the difference it made in shifting.
rdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: