Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
dave328i
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to dave328i
radio says "PHONE".. can't enter code.. help!

recently my stock radio in my 97 328i stopped working.

it says "PHONE" on the display, and won't let me enter my unlock code. i tried calling a dealership and they said that i have to bring it in. is there any way to fix this problem myself? i looked in the manual and there is no info on this.

thanks in advance
dave328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
personally i would take her into the dealership and see if they are going to charge you. if it's something easy and not replacing any parts or w/e then i doubt that they would charge you but you never know.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

unhook the battrey or is there a reset botton????
Old 11-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
dave328i
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
unhook the battrey or is there a reset botton????
there is no reset button, and i'm scared to disconnect the battery because won't that mess up the computer in the car?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
which stereo option do you have?
do you have a car phone / cell phone?
does your vehicle come with a cell phone auxillary port? is something plugged into it?

disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it won't mess up the computer in the car. repeated voltage spikes & dips may... like when giving someone a jump-start.

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
dave328i
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
which stereo option do you have?
do you have a car phone / cell phone?
does your vehicle come with a cell phone auxillary port? is something plugged into it?

disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it won't mess up the computer in the car. repeated voltage spikes & dips may... like when giving someone a jump-start.

J

the stereo that i have is called the business radio, it's an am/fm with a tape deck and a 6 cd changer mounted in the trunk.

i don't have a car phone and there is no aux port that i can find/use.

i did some more research and it looks like this is a common problem, however nobody seems to know of a good fix. apparently the radio may be stuck in car phone mode (because when an incoming call comes in, it mutes the radio and goes into phone mode) however there is no evidence of a phone ever being used in the car. maybe some kind of outside frequency has triggered it.

i know that if you let your car run (or leave the key in position 2) for 1 hour and 15 minutes it lets you try to enter your code again, but the radio is not prompting me for the code, nor have i entered an incorrect code.

i don't want to resort to unhooking my battery...

does anyone know of a way to reset the radio (a combination of buttons that can be pushed or something)...

thanks again
Old 11-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave328i
the stereo that i have is called the business radio, it's an am/fm with a tape deck and a 6 cd changer mounted in the trunk.

i don't have a car phone and there is no aux port that i can find/use.

i did some more research and it looks like this is a common problem, however nobody seems to know of a good fix. apparently the radio may be stuck in car phone mode (because when an incoming call comes in, it mutes the radio and goes into phone mode) however there is no evidence of a phone ever being used in the car. maybe some kind of outside frequency has triggered it.

i know that if you let your car run (or leave the key in position 2) for 1 hour and 15 minutes it lets you try to enter your code again, but the radio is not prompting me for the code, nor have i entered an incorrect code.

i don't want to resort to unhooking my battery...

does anyone know of a way to reset the radio (a combination of buttons that can be pushed or something)...

thanks again
that's what i figured the problem is... but there's a port on the radio that your phone needs to be wired to so it goes to phone mode... it doesn't happen from just signal alone. for some reason the radio believes there is a phone call in progress.

if you don't want to disconnect your battery, then you can remove the deck and unplug the power from it, the fuse from the back, or check the fusebox under the hood for the radio fuse, and pull it from there.

J
Old 03-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
dave328i
3rd Gear Member

bumping up this old thread to see if anyone has any ideas.

i managed to pull the deck out, take the fuse out, unhook the wiring harness, and put it all back, and i still get the same "PHONE" message on the display.

i guess my only option left is to disconnect the battery...

man, it really sucks having no radio.

anyone know where to buy an adaptor that will allow me to install an aftermarket deck?

will i have to remove the stock amps in the car?

Old 03-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Justin e36
---

... you can buy the adapter from any car audio store, even Future Shop. If they don't have it, they can order it in for you... or just splice into your current wires.. not tough. You don't have to remove your stock amps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: