Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
BigDToronto
1995 540i (E34) V8

I need 1995 540i Air Conditioning advice

i guys...well after a long cold spring yesterdays hot one meant time to turn on the AC. Last year it was never very cold but adequate.
No luck this year...it is blowing warm

How much refrigerant is required...my label is missing

Does anyone reccommened the Red Tek Kits?

How much to take it to a pro?

I'm guessing after 13 years it R134 has just leaked out and there are not any real problems...as I said earlier it did work last year.

Thanks Dan
BigDToronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
before you put in new refrigerant, do a test leak, find the leak and plug it or change required parts.

I had hot air blowing because 2 broken valves thingy ($25 each part).

Refrigerant should last a lifetime if no leak.

coolant cost about $60 a can to refill I think

I brought my car to Lakeside.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
BigDToronto
1995 540i (E34) V8

Update... So this morning I bought a Red Tek Kit. The ports on the car are two different sizes...but not marked. One port fits exactly the hose to the gauge. The other port is too big. Do I assume that because the gauge fits on this port that this is the "Low" side and the side I'm supposed to charge?

As soon as I snap the gauge on the port I get a reading of 90 psi. (The engine is off) The instructions say I should load the refrigerant when the engine is running and I should have a reading of 38ish psi.

What do you think this all means? Is the pressure high because the engine is off and I should carry on? Because there is pressure does it mean I don't have a total leak just down on refrigerant?

I also bought a can of "sealant" and I thought to give the system a little squirt to freshen up the o-rings etc.

Are there other thingies I should look at before I pierce a can and start gassing the system?
(There are all kinds of threats about not over pressurizing)

Little help please
Thanks Dan
Old 06-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
TEUTONICFOOL
2nd Gear Member

when u r doing an A/C job, DO NOT assume anything!! if u r not sure/confused/misleaded, STOP!! let the PRO do the job for u. u don't want something in high pressure blow up on yr face. now back to yr problem. '95 540i is using the r134 already, so the port r 2 different size. yr kit should fit, if not, go back to the supplier & ask. if u have some reading/pressure in yr system, STOP!! u have freon in yr system. u r not equip/suppose to evacuate the a/c system. let the PRO handle it. normally the charge will be around $120 to $150 for a evacuate/vacuum/recharge service, with no repair. let me know if u need further assistant.

Last edited by TEUTONICFOOL; 06-07-2008 at 11:14 PM.
TEUTONICFOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
BigDToronto
1995 540i (E34) V8

Great advice... You won't have to tell me twice about being careful.

Yes ...I believe your observation is correct, I have freon in the system. But if it reads 90psi with the engine off would it be less with the engine running? (which means that I may need to add some?)

Thanks D
Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDToronto View Post
Great advice... You won't have to tell me twice about being careful.

Yes ...I believe your observation is correct, I have freon in the system. But if it reads 90psi with the engine off would it be less with the engine running? (which means that I may need to add some?)

Thanks D
The Low side is the low side when the compressor is running, once the compressor starts the low side pressure will drop (suction side), you then attach the hose and refrigerant bottle the system. Opening the valve, will start the drawing of the refrigerant into the system, the bottle will start to get cold to the touch, when all the refrigerant is sucked out the bottle will get warm again, you can then release the hose.

If you wear goggles and gloves you should be OK. I do this every year with my car but I buy the R134 at the Auto Zone on Pine Avenue in Niagra Fall NY.

Last edited by MLue1; 06-11-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typos
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
BigDToronto
1995 540i (E34) V8

The label is gone off my Rad ...Maybe the rad was replaced...

What pressure should the low side be?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDToronto View Post
The label is gone off my Rad ...Maybe the rad was replaced...

What pressure should the low side be?
I replied to your PM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
ringle
2nd Gear Member

This is not generally a DIY! You will need to refill the comp. oil as well.

I had my '95 done at Can. Tire for $159.00 including evac., press. test, oil refill (7 oz.) and 3.6 lbs. of R134. Check the Bently Manual for the specs.

I would recommend you take it to a shop with a machine to do it all.
ringle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: