Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Supporting Events > Maxbimmer & Supporting Events
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Question Yo! Let's talk cruises.

Happy 2017 everyone. The weather today is awful but seeing March on the date line everywhere around me means it's almost time to pull the cars out (or at least mount the summer tires) and have some fun.

The point of this thread is an open discussion on cruises. What do you like? What do you NOT like? What do you suggest I do to make them more enjoyable?

I've already compiled a brief mental checklist of changes that I think need to be made, including:

- A return to full-sized route directions, turn-by-turn. This was moved away from years ago due to other GTA car clubs directly ripping off our routes, more than a few times. I used to put a lot of pride in mapping out and searching for these routes, but frankly, with GPS and online tech as powerful as it now anyone with enough determination can find these places. The magic is how you join these roads in a continuous enjoyable route that won't break up a large group, and I'm still sad to give that info up, but I'd rather have copy-cats than keep losing members every event. Google will once again save us.

- An overall more relaxed pace. I know, I know. But I think it's time. There's a time and a place for everything. 1-warning rules in effect for all events, you get exactly one talking to if I hear complaints. If you don't change, you're out.

- Absolutely no solid-line passing. Going to ask that all instances of this behaviour be reported to me so I can speak to the offender. I know, I've done it myself. And I'll probably still do it myself if I'm alone and feel it's safe (which is actually legal in Ontario btw). But I just can't trust 50+ adrenaline-filled drivers to make the same calculated risk in a panic-filled situation ("no, don't leave me!"). No more solid line passing. We have to stop and wait every 1km for a break in traffic, then we do it. No more rushing. It's not worth it.

I don't see a need to state everything I love about cruises because needless to say, I live for this shit. This is my 15th year doing this for maXbimmer, still no pay cheque, and it's all for the love of driving; the look on the face of every one of you who see roads you've never seen, and maybe enjoyed your car in ways you never thought possible. I drive up to scenic places at every spare moment I have and sometimes come across things I want to share with the rest of you. I hope this strange fetish still works out for you.

Thank you all for the support over the years. And be honest here, if you hate the events tell me why. If you love them and there'sjustthisonelittlething throw that at me too. Let's make these better and enjoy our brief time together even more.

-Jay
Old 03-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
dbworld4k

Totally agree with your suggestions and I'm having a tough time thinking of anything else to contribute. The new changes should make the event even more enjoyable and tone things down when needed.

Can't wait!

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Funny, I started thinking about the cruises back on the family day weekend but thought it was too early to start posting. LOL

Totally agree with you, Jay. There isn't much that needs improvement. The areas you outlined would be great. I think the most important one is self-regulating our group. What would be the best way to do this? A thought I have is setting up some kind of chat group with one of the many apps out there... BBM or whatever. If we see something, we can post to the group while on the move, then you and everyone else knows who's being a dick.

One small thing, for those of us coming from outside the GTA, especially north, a second rallying point would be great. E.g. Last year for Spring Cruise, I honestly could have met the group for lunch in Orillia and wouldn't have missed a thing. People could indicate they'd be meeting the group there and a small bit of time set aside for that (unless it's lunch or something)- but make it the responsibility of those coming to the second point to be on time. Not that I don't enjoy driving in the pack from the start, but when the cruises come northbound, I don't need to see the same terrain twice just to take part. Not to mention I can sleep in LOL

Elsa and I are looking forward to some fun cruises... and I really hope I can make it out for the Midnight Cruise this year.

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
xander_g
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoguy View Post
I think the most important one is self-regulating our group. What would be the best way to do this?
I did a cruise with the bimmerpost guys last year and we used Pathshare for the route and Zello to communicate, its like walkie-talkie app.
xander_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
I did a cruise with the bimmerpost guys last year and we used Pathshare for the route and Zello to communicate, its like walkie-talkie app.
I haven't heard of Zello before. That would be pretty neat.

So what's on the sched for this year, Jay? The usual, Spring, Midnight and Fall Cruises?

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
doogee
6th Gear Member

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
Steve30
Techno Viking

Love it, can't wait. Hopefully something will be ready for the cruise

E36 ///M3 S54
STock 335i "The Punisher"
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
E36&8
2nd Gear Member

I think the BMW TrueNorth guys copied all your routes and it sucks because they have retarded followers and drive like pos. Same day your cruises were set they were doing theirs and divided all the people but it's good because all the jack asses go there anyway

I am going to try to bring my hellrot
Old 03-05-2017, 01:19 AM   #9
Steve30
Techno Viking

Maybe we should rent out a track or something. I'm sure if we get a big enough group it won't be too expensive.. Let everyone take their road rage out on the circuit hahaha

E36 ///M3 S54
STock 335i "The Punisher"
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
doogee
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
Maybe we should rent out a track or something. I'm sure if we get a big enough group it won't be too expensive.. Let everyone take their road rage out on the circuit hahaha
I'd be more interested in this.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
Dinanstu
4th Gear Member

I haven't been on a cruise yet, but am looking forward to doing one this year.
There's always going to be juvenile antics, but by far, the majority are just true BMW driving enthusiasts.

All the cars are great, but the people make the difference ...

So count me in!
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
v_bimmer
///M > AMG

super excited for your cruises this season !! Also having hard time to add anything to what you already said
Old 03-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Thanks guys, keep it coming. App support for the cruises is absolutely something I want to implement this year, thanks for the suggestions xander_g. To have both map and chat capability would solve a ton of our current issues. I will look into those apps as well as others and announce what platform(s) we will use in the cruise threads so we can all be prepared beforehand.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #14
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

This year, I'll actually be able to make it unless it falls on a family occasion. Last time I went was at midnight cruise when I had my E30 and that was long ago. Looking forward to meeting people and taking part in a nice cruise. Hopefully it will be like the one with the BMW Charter in Ottawa. Bunch of old guys just cruising the back roads.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
bjsbrandon
MTLBLAUE36

I've only actually been on one of your cruises but I really enjoyed it and was hoping to make it to more so hopefully timing for cruises this season works out better for me.

Regarding app support, it would be really cool if there was a mapping app that you could share the route with. That way it could remain a bit unknown before the initial meet up and then share it there. Same as paper hand outs I suppose but perhaps a bit easier to use on the go. I can also attest to Zello. It works through Bluetooth too so nice for those of us playing music as it will cut into the music like an incoming phone call. Also works across android/iOS platforms so should work for most people. Can easily set up a channel with a password and tell people at the initial meet so we can communicate on the go quickly and tell someone to simmer down if they're driving crazy or alert other drivers of police ahead etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 325i Convertible MT Montreal Blue on Beige on genuine Alpina Hardlines (17x8/9 with 225/255 Falken Azenis RT615k)
| Mods: M3 BK, ZF swap, S52 clutch&flywheel, Resonator delete, Vibrant Exhaust, 3.91 LSD, MarkD Tune, HSD DualTech, M3 MFL Steering Wheel, Dension Bluetooth with CD43 |
Soon: Audio, new soft top , Seats
2016 E36 Beach Day Drone Edit https://youtu.be/cSZH9dAcerc
bjsbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: