Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #31
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

As you know I decided to go with the E39. Here's a picture. It's a 2003 530i. In a very good shape (no rust or dents). Everything works. 200k but the engine pulls strong and doesn't burn oil (both previous E39's burned oil). The steering feel is amazing. No shimmy. Very smooth and stable. It's the sport trim so I get the sport steering (feels very nice in the hand), 16 way adjustable front seats, and no chrome (except the kidney grill).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150403_173054~2~2.jpg (492.9 KB, 58 views)
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #32
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Looks really nice! I like the colour...

I remember your battle with the shimmy.... I discovered something recently after my own challenge with both E39s.... It was the mating surface between the brake rotors and the wheels!!! Dirty and Rusty so the wheels weren't sitting perfectly flat!

I'll make a new post for that with pictures....

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #33
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
Looks really nice! I like the colour...

I remember your battle with the shimmy.... I discovered something recently after my own challenge with both E39s.... It was the mating surface between the brake rotors and the wheels!!! Dirty and Rusty so the wheels weren't sitting perfectly flat!

I'll make a new post for that with pictures....
Thank God, this E39 doesn't have the infamous 120km/h shimmy! It has one at 80km/h but that's due to the thrust arm needing replacement. The 120km/h shimmy is due to tire/wheel problems: needs balancing, old tires that cannot be balanced, cheap tires, bent wheels, missing hub centric rings, the tires are not sitting well (like you said, may be rust!)

A couple of days ago I swapped the winter tires with all-season tires and I noticed there was rust on the surfaces where the wheel sits (on both the ring and the wall), but I didn't clean it. I installed the all-season tires and drove the car: no shimmy, no shake. I guess it depends on how bad the rust is.

Let us know if you solved the shimmy issue.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #34
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Oh - it's solved all right - on BOTH cars!!!! Makes me want to cry thinking about how much time I wasted!!!

I'm going to clean them every single time a wheel comes off.... I suggest you do the same!!!!

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #35
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
Oh - it's solved all right - on BOTH cars!!!! Makes me want to cry thinking about how much time I wasted!!!

I'm going to clean them every single time a wheel comes off.... I suggest you do the same!!!!
Thanks for the tip. My co-worker who is a car buff recommended I clean them too!

These E39s are a headache to figure out! But once you figured them out they are a gem of a car!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: