Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #16
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,579


Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
We did not come to an agreement. He said he is asking $7k because even though he knows the market value is $5k he is sure his car is spotless.

Thank God my mechanic gave me an appointment today and even though the car is in a an amazing shape (outside and inside), it needs about $1,500 in mechanical repairs (sway bar, tie rod, control arm, radiator), but the seller insisted on a high price so we did not agree.
So you expected him to absorb ALL the cost on the repairs? it is a 12 year old car at best, you didn't think you were going to buy something that needs nothing, did you?
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member
 
wc123wc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 259
He said, “I know the market value for my car is $5,000 but I am asking $7,000 and I won’t negotiate the price because I know this car needs nothing.” He is partially right: the exterior and interior are excellent.

So I booked a pre-purchase inspection and they told me the car needs $900 in safety (tie rod, stabilizer bar, control arm, wipers), and it needs a new radiator because it’s leaking! The owner said he will settle for $6,250 and sell the car AS IS. Then he changed his mind saying he will take the car to his mechanic. His mechanic told him that the car needs only $60 for emission and they can fix the radiator leak; none of the $900 in safety is “needed”.
I don’t trust his mechanic—I trust mine. So for me it’s a car that’s priced $2,000 above the market value and needs $1,500 to be in a good working condition. That’s $8,500 plus taxes! So we had no agreement.
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot / FL
Posts: 9,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
So you expected him to absorb ALL the cost on the repairs? it is a 12 year old car at best, you didn't think you were going to buy something that needs nothing, did you?
Yes, especially if he is asking over $2k what he agreed the car is worth and claims the car needs nothing. Don't make that claim, sell it as is, then all would have been fine.


wc123wc, if you buy the car safeties any emission tested, you can go back to the garage and claim those items shouldn't have passed safety (assuming they are in fact bad and your mechanic isn't just saying so) and they would have to fix it, or you'd file a compliant with the ministry.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:50 AM   #19
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 2,560
E60 wagon must feel so slow compared to the 540! The torquey V8 has that raw edge that makes those cars feel alive!

My ex-540 had 300,000+ km and M5 has 200,000+ km with no major issues. IMO, E60 are ugly. The wagon is nice though, esp the interior with the huge sunroof. How about E39 540 touring? Auto only though....

If you buy a 530 or E60, how will you feel next time you see a nice Msport 540? Will you think ... I could have had that... ? M5????
__________________

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #20
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,403
My opinion, E39 all day. The e60's are to put it politely, junk.

Just did another IBS sensor today in a 06 e60, 3 parts $400+ for a bloody piece of wire and adapter.
__________________
E46
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #21
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member
 
wc123wc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 259
He called me two days ago and said, "I have only two options: I keep the car which I don't want to because I already have a new Q7, or sell it to you because I am not selling it to anyone else!" He knew how well I loved the E39's as I already had two before and I showed him pictures of how well I took care of my E39's. So he agreed to lower the price so that after I do required safety and repairs my cost will be $7,000 more or less.

I felt bad for him because he had owned the car since 2005 and he baby sat it! No winter driving, no after market parts (he even paid $270 recently for the front cup holders from a BMW dealership--he showed me the receipt--Who does that? It took me 10 minutes to photocopy his maintenance records! He almost had tears in his eyes when he gave me the keys.

It's a 2003 530iA sport, and nothing (I mean NOTHING) can compare to how smooth it is and the steering feel! The steering is beautifully weighed, smooth, and amazingly communicative! The grip is out of this world! And the speakers are amazing!

No rust, no dents, no scratches. And nobody has ever sat in the passenger or the back seats! His driver seat is about 95% as good as a brand new seat!
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
dbworld4k
Moderator
 
dbworld4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: YYZ
Posts: 7,978
Congrats on getting it!
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #23
yuiou
Driver
 
yuiou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
He called me two days ago and said, "I have only two options: I keep the car which I don't want to because I already have a new Q7, or sell it to you because I am not selling it to anyone else!" He knew how well I loved the E39's as I already had two before and I showed him pictures of how well I took care of my E39's. So he agreed to lower the price so that after I do required safety and repairs my cost will be $7,000 more or less.

I felt bad for him because he had owned the car since 2005 and he baby sat it! No winter driving, no after market parts (he even paid $270 recently for the front cup holders from a BMW dealership--he showed me the receipt--Who does that? It took me 10 minutes to photocopy his maintenance records! He almost had tears in his eyes when he gave me the keys.

It's a 2003 530iA sport, and nothing (I mean NOTHING) can compare to how smooth it is and the steering feel! The steering is beautifully weighed, smooth, and amazingly communicative! The grip is out of this world! And the speakers are amazing!

No rust, no dents, no scratches. And nobody has ever sat in the passenger or the back seats! His driver seat is about 95% as good as a brand new seat!
This car?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...dan/1042793586
yuiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #24
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot / FL
Posts: 9,780
Congrats on the pickup, basically what I said i'd choose, minus the 6spd part. Post some pictures!

$270 for front cup holders? Was that the priced installed? The replacement part alone cost less than $50. Sounds like it's well taken care of.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #25
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member
 
wc123wc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 259
Yes, that's the car.

You are correct. This front cup holders cost $35 deliever from eBay!
Anyway, I have designed and 3D printed my own cup holders which is superior to the OEM. But I don't think I will install it on this car because he has taken such good care of it!
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #26
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 2,560
Oh yeah... I remember those 3D cupholders. Speaking of that, I tried something recently- I covered the vent for the cabin temp sensor. It seemed to work.... my coffee didn't make the HVAC switch to cold. I might do something more permanent.

Nice car - congratulations!
__________________

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #27
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Congrats on the pickup, basically what I said i'd choose, minus the 6spd part. Post some pictures!

$270 for front cup holders? Was that the priced installed? The replacement part alone cost less than $50. Sounds like it's well taken care of.
Okay you said it twice so I have to correct it now. E39 6-cylinders were all 5-speeds, no 6MT. E60 6-cylinders are 6MT, even the 525i M54 version.
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #28
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot / FL
Posts: 9,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Okay you said it twice so I have to correct it now. E39 6-cylinders were all 5-speeds, no 6MT. E60 6-cylinders are 6MT, even the 525i M54 version.
No wonder I didn't see any for sale this winter, lol. My mistake . I'm missing the 6MT in the M5 too much I guess.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #29
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member
 
Bmwstylz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nurburgring
Posts: 1,404
$5000 seems really high for an automatic e39!

with your budget why not get an e39 M5? I have seen a couple sub-10grand asking price.

Go big or go home!!
__________________
"Get rich or die tryin!"
Bmwstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #30
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 2,560
Tough call - generally the inexpensive M5s are in pretty rough shape. Op's car may not be outfitted with the most desirable equipment, but it appears to be in top condition.
__________________

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018