Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
DaveRobinson
1st Gear Newbie

Warranty Issues

Anyone else have problems with BMW's original batteries and/or charging systems? I have a 2017 230i and I have already had to replace the battery at a ridiculously high $525 cost.. The warranty should have covered it, but BMW says my driving patterns are such that they won't honour their factory warranty. The car is driven a couple of times per week, with a total of about 27,000 km since new just over 2 years ago. Policaro in Brampton is the dealer, and they were absolutely no help with this. They wouldn't even let me purchase a new battery from Canadian Tire and have Policaro install and register it. That would have saved my $250 plus.
DaveRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
dbworld4k

With modern in-car technology, the strains on batteries can be high and weaken them if the car is not driven enough for the alternator to recharge it.

The simplest and least headache inducing solution would be to buy a trickle charger aka battery tender; plug it in and connect it to the car (under hood + and - posts) once a month or so. Canadian Tire sells these for around $50.

That should help maintain the battery's charge sufficiently despite the car not being driven frequently.

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
jabela
6th Gear Member

Definitely a good idea to put your car on a trickle charger.
Next time but the battery and take it to a good indy mechanic to code.
You can probably also code it yourself with the right software.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
DaveRobinson
1st Gear Newbie

Warranty Issues

I agree with the trickle charger solution, in fact when I upgraded the electronics on my 2000 Integra I upgraded the battery and charging system, and still installed a trickle charger because I only drove that car a couple of times a week too. But with a new car I would have hoped they would have sized the battery and charger properly to allow for drivers who use their cars a couple of times a week. In the warranty there is no fine print stating how often you have to drive the car, or for how long, so I expect them to honour the warranty. Additionally, when you purchase a battery from a secondary provider there is almost always a pro-rata warranty, but with BMW there was nothing. What's next - if the clutch or transmission blow up are they going to claim that I shifted improperly and dishonour that warranty also. I've never had warranty issues with Mercedes, Audi, or Acura, but BMW has a real attitude when it comes to their product. It's never their fault. When I took the car in the very first time, because the windows were frozen shut (when you open the door, the window comes down about half an inch, and then goes up again when you shut the door), they told me that Canadian winters are too cold, so there's nothing they could do. The weather stripping seemed to me to be part of this problem, but not according to them. My Mercedes windows also go up and down when the door is opened, but they have never frozen shut.
DaveRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRobinson View Post
I agree with the trickle charger solution, in fact when I upgraded the electronics on my 2000 Integra I upgraded the battery and charging system, and still installed a trickle charger because I only drove that car a couple of times a week too. But with a new car I would have hoped they would have sized the battery and charger properly to allow for drivers who use their cars a couple of times a week. In the warranty there is no fine print stating how often you have to drive the car, or for how long, so I expect them to honour the warranty. Additionally, when you purchase a battery from a secondary provider there is almost always a pro-rata warranty, but with BMW there was nothing. What's next - if the clutch or transmission blow up are they going to claim that I shifted improperly and dishonour that warranty also. I've never had warranty issues with Mercedes, Audi, or Acura, but BMW has a real attitude when it comes to their product. It's never their fault. When I took the car in the very first time, because the windows were frozen shut (when you open the door, the window comes down about half an inch, and then goes up again when you shut the door), they told me that Canadian winters are too cold, so there's nothing they could do. The weather stripping seemed to me to be part of this problem, but not according to them. My Mercedes windows also go up and down when the door is opened, but they have never frozen shut.
Sadly none of your complaints are unique to BMW.
I don't think any OEM warranties batteries after 1 year. If they do they're doing you a favour.
And yes, you might expect better treatment from luxury car, but 3 series are as generic as Honda Civics, and BMW dealers treat them as such. I think you have to spend $80k+ to get preferred treatment from them.
But different dealers do treat customers differently.

It shouldn't be this way, but realistically you really should expect nothing from dealers because many of them are scumbags just looking to make a buck off you at any chance they get, from ludicrous shop rates, to fake/unnecessary repairs.

Also, I don't think any car battery is going to survive with how you drove it, especially if your occasional drives are under 30min. From what I see, Honda's are the worth with battery failures after 3 years of the best kind of usage.
Actually new aftermarket batteries aren't pro-rated anymore, instead of 7 year pro-rated warranty, they no offer 4 year full replacement.

Even in my daily driven car, I charge the battery once a month and once a week or 2 when it's very cold in the winter.
Car's will never charge the battery to 100% like a charger, and the charger will also desulfate your battery. Doing this your battery should easily last 5-7 years if you never let it fully discharge.

I would bet that the warranty states that the battery is a wear item, like tires and brakes.

Also, in the right conditions any window will freeze, especially if it's frameless. It's a good idea to lubricate them before winter each year will silicone lube.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: