Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 AM   #1
jabela
6th Gear Member

E46 LCM failed. Where to fix/buy in GTA?

So the LCM seems to be dead on my E46 2002 325ci.
Originally started as a current drain when the car was off, then random fast blinking when the weather was cold.
Now nothing LCM related seems to work. Headlights are stuck on, dash lights don't come on, indicator stalk and hazards don't do anything.
I'm up for repairing if it's just soldering in some new transistors, but would be nice to at least get a used unit in so I can drive safely for now.

Any suggestions on where to get one around Oakville/GTA? Or someone who repairs them?

Does anyone local to Oakville area have PA Soft for coding the VIN in a new LCM?

Cheers.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I swapped out my LCM from a 2001 M3, HW10 SW2.0.

You can have it for cheap if it will work for you.

I used BMWScanner 1.4 to write the VIN and Mileage to the new LCM to get rid of the tamper dot. Now my LCI tails are happy.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
I swapped out my LCM from a 2001 M3, HW10 SW2.0.

You can have it for cheap if it will work for you.

I used BMWScanner 1.4 to write the VIN and Mileage to the new LCM to get rid of the tamper dot. Now my LCI tails are happy.
Thanks for the offer Tdot. Would it work in my car given the different hardware and software versions?

BMW 6 919 844
HW:15 SW:3.01

The funny thing is I removed the LCM this morning, took it apart, put it back together and put it back in the car and now it's working fine. So maybe there was a loose connection and now it's made. Maybe related to warming it up. I only had the issues when temps were under -15C. It's cooling off in the car right now so we'll see if it lasts.

The board looks OK. No damage, but I thought these double soldered pins looked odd, but obviously it's been that way for 17 years.

www.maisonapothecare.ca
Old 01-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Thanks for the offer Tdot. Would it work in my car given the different hardware and software versions?

BMW 6 919 844
HW:15 SW:3.01
I'm not sure about going backwards, I know that when I was researching the LED taillight retrofit mine needed to be upgraded to SW3.0 or higher to be able to code LED taillights.

Looks like you got it working, hopefully it continues to work. If not I think they should be fairly easy to find used (eBay has a ton for $40-60USD), you'll just need to have it programmed to your VIN/mileage to avoid a tamper dot.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:52 AM   #5
jabela
6th Gear Member

Yea, from what I'm reading it at least needs to be the same version to make sure that all features, Xenon, etc. are supported.

I'll look for a compatible used unit to have as a backup as I don't trust mine anymore.

www.maisonapothecare.ca
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
jabela
6th Gear Member

Update.
So I kept having battery drain issues, even after leaving the LCM unplugged. I took my battery to partsource to test and they said it was OK, but that was after I had it charging.
I took it back the next day without charging and their tester showed it was dead.
They didn't have a new AGM to replace mine, it was 3 years old with 4 year full warranty, so I took a standard battery and pocketed the difference.
That fixed all problems with draining and LCM working.

Now why did the battery fail in only 3 years? Maybe LCM was draining? (still need to test this).
My trunk loom seems to have failed as it always shows open on the dash, so maybe it's leaving the trunk lights on and constantly draining. Until I can test I removed the trunk lights just in case.

www.maisonapothecare.ca

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: