Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
moneymaker
2nd Gear Member

Best Suspension Set-Up For Ride Quality?

I'm currently looking to update the suspension on my 98 328i.

I'm not concerned with getting sports/m3 suspension parts as I don't race/track my car at all.

I am however very concerned with increasing the ride quality and smoothness as I drive my e36 daily.

Which brands would you guys recommend, based solely on ride quality?

Im looking on eBay and other part sources, however the selection is too vast.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Royksopp
2nd Gear Member

It really comes down to budget (how much are you willing to spend). I have kw coilovers currently installed on my 325is, and couldnt be more happy with them!!
Royksopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
moneymaker
2nd Gear Member

Price isn't really an issue.

Just don't want to spend money on unnecessary parts required for racing/hard driving.

Looking to replace mainly rear and front shocks, rear springs, and rear shock mounts.

Anything else I should consider?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

For ride quality, you really can't go wrong with OE parts ... that's what they were designed for! Gen new rubber bushings all around, and new shocks, and call it a day.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
sproule905
6th Gear Member

would you not want front springs replaced as well? I just purchased an H&R cupkit from ECS tuning for $700. and replaced all upper mounts. ride is not too harsh and not too low that it rubs/ scrapes

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Springs don't really wear out unless they are corroded, or cracked. Ywah, with 500k on them maybe they'll be tired, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother replacing them. Dampers and bushings are what contributes to shitty suspension feel.

Any H&R product is going to be way crappier for you if you want to preserve good feel for a daily driver. Any "cheap" aftermarket suspensions will adversly affect the feel and handling. Go OE, or pay more $$ for a good coilover.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
moneymaker
2nd Gear Member

^^ I appreciate your input. I'll take your advice and go OE, as well as replace all bushings. Hope its not too big of a job!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
For ride quality, you really can't go wrong with OE parts ....
!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

wait are you planning on keeping it stock height and im not sure about this, but i been told that the stock shocks wear out fast! but there are OE equivalent shocks available like the koni adjustable ones, which will give you the OEM feel plus last longer!
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
dannyb
4th Gear Member

who told you oe shocks wear out fast? The internet?
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
wait are you planning on keeping it stock height and im not sure about this, but i been told that the stock shocks wear out fast! but there are OE equivalent shocks available like the koni adjustable ones, which will give you the OEM feel plus last longer!
What?! Stock OEM shocks last decently. The only reason a stock shock would go bad is when people put in lowering springs and leave them... the shock works much harder to control what usually is a stiffer spring. Additionally, if the car is excessively lowered, it may bottom out much more often, and this is what causes premature failure to shocks.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Well i heard it alot. that the oem ones are good but last around 30,000km if i remember correctly.
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 06-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Worn or Blown Shocks and Struts

Factory BMW shocks work great for about 30k. By 60k they are completely shot. Most folks who have been driving their cars since new hardly notice the deterioration as it is gradual. Symptoms includeiving under braking and acceleration, excessive lean and suspension compression during cornering. Bouncy and uncomfortable ride. Shocks and struts may visibly leak shock oil. EDGE generally recommends replacing the factory units with quality shocks from Koni whenever possible. When replacing shocks and struts, keep in mind it is a great time to install lowering springs or freshen up other areas of the suspension. You will be amazed at the difference a good set of shocks can make in both comfort and performance!

Reference

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?...d=24&Itemid=55
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
moneymaker
2nd Gear Member

^^ Great link. I definitely drove my car more than 30,000 km and have noticed a gradual deterioration with regards to my suspension. I do plan on keeping it stock height, as again I just use it as my daily driver. Ill look into the Koni shocks etc, but I think ill be selling my vehicle soon, so 30,000km of shock use will be more than enough!! I think I'll stick with the OE.

Last edited by moneymaker; 06-03-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

100% agreed with that link. my cars shocks were all blown and a few leaking when I got it. the car had a leisurely life with 94xxx k on it.
The car still felt ok to someone who wasnt used to what it shouldve felt like.

I love guys who hang out on a forum and share information..on the internet....but when its soemthing they disagree with , they scoff and laugh and say shit about "reading it on the internet" ....oh the ironing...

bushings dont wear out on this car relatively prematurely either? how about sheat metal weak points? all made up on the internet? lol

Last edited by SiR; 06-03-2011 at 12:50 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: