Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #1
givemeanE36
3rd Gear Member

Very Very odd steering problem.

Alright, in my past experiences with cars, i've never come across anything like this. Hopefully some of you can shed some light on the subject.

When i drive on the highway or any speed 60km/h + my car makes a weird "winding" noise from the front end. It sounds like i am driving on tires with very low air pressure, that annoying rubber sound.

My tire pressure is fine, everything is fine, and the car just started making this not too long ago. The really weird thing is that when i turn LEFT the sound goes away, but if i am going straight or to the right, the noise is there.

Anyway, i thought it was the power steering pump making that noise, even though that makes no sense as it should make the noise under load IE when turning, and no noise when going straight.

So i took off my P/S belt today, and the noise is still there, so i am guessing it's the rack? But why the hell would it make that noise, i mean WHAT is it that's making it?

Or possibly the water pump? Please, educated and informed opinions, PLEASE with your reasoning. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Is it a grinding noise? metal on metal?

Sounds like a wheel bearing, get it checked out. Mine did the same thing at highway speeds it got really loud and if u turned to the right abit it would go away. Its the bearing thats bad.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:15 AM   #3
givemeanE36
3rd Gear Member

No, definitely not a wheel bearing. It's not that noise.

It's hard to explain, but i am sure you've heard it. It's just like something is winding up, like accelerating on really flat tires, that rubber vs pavement friction sound kind of like "whooo whoo whoo"

**** it sounds retarded, but i can't explain it in any other way.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Bad tires?
Old 03-13-2005, 12:22 AM   #5
givemeanE36
3rd Gear Member

Well they were the same tires that i had 3 weeks ago when there was no noise!

This is frustrating, these E30s and their BOSCH shit really get to my nerves due to my lack of knowledge about 'em.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
GERMAN DRIVER
1st Gear Newbie

Why do you say that its not a wheel bearing? From what you explained, it does sound like a wheel bearing. The reason why the noise is goes when you turn left, is because your talking the load off of the bearing. When turning right or goes straight, there weight on it. From that, its your front left wheel bearing. But I could be wrong. Just speaking from experience.
GERMAN DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:51 AM   #7
GERMAN DRIVER
1st Gear Newbie

Oh ya, and does the noise get louder and faster the quicker you go?
GERMAN DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:02 AM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Tires can go bad, my summer tires are really loud, i thought it was my rear wheel bearings, but when i put my winters on it went away and the tires are only one season old
Old 03-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #9
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
Tires can go bad, my summer tires are really loud, i thought it was my rear wheel bearings, but when i put my winters on it went away and the tires are only one season old
From what I've seen, tires that get loud from age/wear typically do it at very low speeds, not higher ones. Just my experience, though.

The problem does sound exactly like a wheel bearing though.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
givemeanE36
3rd Gear Member

It can't be tires because if it was, then the noise should be there at all times, not only when going staright/turning right.

How much is a wheel bearing for an E30?

I will look into it even though it doesn't sound like it.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:36 AM   #11
ultima_chi
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to ultima_chi Send a message via Yahoo to ultima_chi
Dude, it's your freaking left wheel bearing. Change it. Go to www.bmaparts.com. About 70 bucks IIRC. Oh yeah....don't drive with it like that too long.....your wheel can seize up while driving, and that would be bad....especially on the highway....
Old 03-14-2005, 02:37 AM   #12
Slowered318
6th Gear Member

I have the same problem.. i just haven't got around to ordering new wheel bearings yet.. And i'll be throwing tools if that doesn't fix the noise.

btw you can dammage a wheel bearing if you hit a bad pot hole.. something has to take the shock and usually it's the tire, wheel or bearing to go first
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: