Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Supporting Events > Maxbimmer & Supporting Events
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #31
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Well said, Damon, especially point 3. If you are going to be a newcomer to the cruises this year, PLEASE(!) take this advice.

I'm relatively new as well, and not driving a powerhouse BMW, but I learned more about the car, it's limits, and my own over my first cruise - believe it or not, a stock Eta E30 can have lots of fun and keep up, if you got the ability - and you don't have to be an idiot to do it. Highway is one thing, the twisty backroads are another. By last year's spring cruise, I fully knew what to expect and what I could handle. Damon is speaking truth on this point.

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #32
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonchoy View Post
I think it would would be a good idea to have a blurb for the new guys at the start of the cruise. Something along the lines of asking them to honestly evaluate their skills and experience and to place themselves in the pack appropriately. Remind them that if the cars behind them are bottling up and the cars ahead are getting away around the corners, that they're probably not where they should be. Just because you can "keep up" by going WOT in the straights doesn't mean you're where you should be. There's nothing wrong with pulling over and letting the faster drivers by. No, you won't lose the pack since you have turn-by-turn directions right in front of you.
QFT

Seen lots of ego on the cruises. Some people don't like the idea of letting an old E30 with half the power of their M car past them
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #33
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
QFT

Seen lots of ego on the cruises. Some people don't like the idea of letting an old E30 with half the power of their M car past them
Reminds me of that line the RCR E30 review where he talks about a 4-door E30 passing an S13 "and you're pissed because you have no M-badge on which to lay your excuses."

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #34
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoguy View Post
Reminds me of that line the RCR E30 review where he talks about a 4-door E30 passing an S13 "and you're pissed because you have no M-badge on which to lay your excuses."
Reminds me of midnight cruise last year when we pulled over after doing River Rd, some guy came up to me and was like "Dude! I was behind you... you're crazy you weren't even braking for the corners!" and I was like what for? Those M3's in front of me were holding me up... and they were on wide sticky tires while I was on old, hockey puck 205 all seasons
Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #35
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I fully plan to be in the middle of the pack. I know how Jay and others drive, from a few cruises I've attended years back. I know I could keep in the front and the car would allow for it but I'm not super confident as of yet to be in the front along roads I've never traveled before. So the middle seems like the best spot for me, or I can chill with the old E30, E36s in the back. Just don't want to get tied up with slower people as I want to enjoy it safely without any hassles (either going a bit fast on straights/corners or just keeping pace). I've already planned to have the car ready for this date. New exhaust and tires. Might squeeze in a few carbon parts for my birthday before the cruise but we shall see.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #36
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Big update.

New date: Sunday May 7th

Shoutout to my wonderful fiance for moving her bridal shower a day back just so more of you can come out. That was a ton of appointments to shift around but she did it. What a keeper.

Now for my new mods and toys to arrive, and then this weather to break. I need M in my life.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #37
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

That's awesome and she's pretty awesome, Jay! Looking forward to it!

Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #38
Derek
3rd Gear Member

Could/Would rain dates be an option? Driving 400+kms in the rain isn't the most thrilling and it keeps a cruise on the yearly schedule.

Carbon Black / Imola Red ///M3
TC Kline Coilovers, Scorza Exhaust, ZHP knob, TFX Retrofit, OEM LED, HRE 546R, AP Headers,
F1R Stage 2 Clutch, Prolite Flywheel, TMS Pedals, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Euro Tune, Kirk Roll Bar.

Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #39
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Looking forward to May 7th.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #40
The-Traveler
3rd Gear Member

Hi Jay, I just want to thank you for doing these cruises year after year. As far as I'm concerned, they're perfect!

The last two years I've missed unfortunately because I was out of country every time you were doing them. If you stopped doing the paper route, then I think you should bring that back as it's a cool token to keep. I still have a few somewhere from back in the day.

My favourite memories are from the 2009 - 2012 era.

Hint - Helicopter.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #41
dbworld4k

^and boats

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #42
BMW_M_POWER
740il

^It was a fun day indeed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009.JPG (34.8 KB, 103 views)

SOLD 04 ///M3
BMW_M_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #43
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Could/Would rain dates be an option? Driving 400+kms in the rain isn't the most thrilling and it keeps a cruise on the yearly schedule.
I don't understand the second part but no, I will never be able to accommodate rain dates into my schedule.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #44
DET1990
3rd Gear Member

Gonna be great as usual cant wait
DET1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #45
Steve30
Techno Viking

Going to have to be careful this year.. North Face Rally got pulled over by OPP and issued 90 day suspensions etc.. lots of cars towed as well.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/several-dr...-opp-1.3351403

E36 ///M3 S54
STock 335i

Last edited by Steve30; 04-02-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: